Kesha - 'Gag Order'

josesuxx

Hmmmm I think I need more time with this album to pay more attention to the lyrics and some production details. It definitely feels like a monumental album/step in her career/life so I hope she gets all the recognition she deserves.

Eat The Acid and Fine Line were both growers and I really liked The Drama, Only Love, All I Need Is You, and Peace & Quiet on first listen.

• Like 1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TomTom

• CroNich

• SmittenCake

• josesuxx

Love the experimental aspect, I would've loved an entire album of Acid, The Drama and Peace And Quiet. Too much acoustic bullshit for my liking but I do hope she smashes, I've loved Kesha since 2010.

I was not prepared to say this..but it's not bad as I was expecting it to be. I kinda liked it actually! I really enjoyed the vibe..I think this is mature and very inspired.

All I Need Is You, Peace & Quiet and Only Love Can Save Us Now are among my favorites.

Only Love Can Save Us Now kinda gives me "Alien Supertar" vibes (I alway am a little bit weird in comparisons, sorry!).

The only flaw is that it kinda feels short, it's like it ends just when you are expecting it to start!

I'm halfway through and I'm struggling. I'd never listen to any more of this album if it wasn't by Kesha. Sorry to say it but she needs to bring back the $. Miss her Warrior sound for sure, but if she genuinely hated that music then fair enough. I don't have to like this album even if i want to support her. Hopefully others will but this is so far removed from her original fan base that I'd be surprised if many do 🫥

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, limelightofdawn said:

this is so far removed from her original fan base that I'd be surprised if many do 🫥

It really isn't. Many of the 'original' fans were always so enamored with the idea that she would grow / experiment, and try new things. People who listened to Kesha for a specific set sound were always going to leave her side, even if she continued making only that. It's really strange how people complain they want a certain sound from artists, but when they fulfill their wishes they don't support / stream it. Kesha has made it clear since day one that she always wants to evolve and do new things. She's sporadic, and I think that's why it's so interesting to follow her. At the end of the day, many of her original fans stan her and her talent.. not the genre she's choosing to make music in. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, limelightofdawn said:

I'm halfway through and I'm struggling. I'd never listen to any more of this album if it wasn't by Kesha. Sorry to say it but she needs to bring back the $. Miss her Warrior sound for sure, but if she genuinely hated that music then fair enough. I don't have to like this album even if i want to support her. Hopefully others will but this is so far removed from her original fan base that I'd be surprised if many do 🫥

It’s so interesting that people STILL say things like this. Please just let it go if that’s what you want from her, it’s not coming back, move on. :rip: 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, SpaceOddity said:

Love the experimental aspect, I would've loved an entire album of Acid, The Drama and Peace And Quiet. Too much acoustic bullshit for my liking but I do hope she smashes, I've loved Kesha since 2010.

She’s not going to smash. And I don’t really understand the comment because the album is full of those types of songs. :rip: 

6 minutes ago, limelightofdawn said:

2012 called and wants its opinions back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, collin said:

It’s so interesting that people STILL say things like this. Please just let it go if that’s what you want from her, it’s not coming back, move on. :rip: 

I didn't think it was coming back. I just really loved her original albums a lot more than this work. And that's fine. No one needs to try to invalidate my opinion. It's cool. You can enjoy this album and I can enjoy her older ones. I was just giving my thoughts on this record like everyone else. No drama. I actually love Kesha ✌️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, collin said:

She’s not going to smash. And I don’t really understand the comment because the album is full of those types of songs. :rip: 

Smash as in, get a favorable welcomed reception by music fans, not sales wise.  Most of this very short album is samey ballads and there's two interludes taking up space, so that leaves us with what, 3 - 4 interesting tracks? But that's just me, I've never been into popstar ballads so.

16 minutes ago, austinsuxx said:

It really isn't. Many of the 'original' fans were always so enamored with the idea that she would grow / experiment, and try new things. People who listened to Kesha for a specific set sound were always going to leave her side, even if she continued making only that. It's really strange how people complain they want a certain sound from artists, but when they fulfill their wishes they don't support / stream it. Kesha has made it clear since day one that she always wants to evolve and do new things. She's sporadic, and I think that's why it's so interesting to follow her. At the end of the day, many of her original fans stan her and her talent.. not the genre she's choosing to make music in. 

One of my favorite songs is Love Into The Light & I loved Deconstructed from the Warrior era. You’re so right!

9 minutes ago, limelightofdawn said:

this is so far removed from her original fan base that I'd be surprised if many do 🫥

yeah no it definitely is not

think of it this way: a big part of her fanbase has resonated with not only the released discography, but her story (which includes her cult fanbase's favorite unreleased tracks)

and in those unreleased tracks, one can clearly find the seeds planted for the experimentation of Gag Order. her fanbase throughout the years has loved her personality and how it's translated into her music, and each of her albums have put that personality in widescreen view. the introverted nature of some of the songs on Gag Order is certainly a change of pace from the brash extroversion of her first three albums, but it's a development that wholly makes sense. I think this album will be a grower for a lot of people at the end of the day. Kesha's never been a cookie-cutter popstar, she's an ambitious and chameleonic artist who wants to explore all of her potential, in all directions

• Like 3

I haven’t listened yet but wow the reviews here are very mixed…

Just now, limelightofdawn said:

I didn't think it was coming back. I just really loved her original albums a lot more than this work. And that's fine. No one needs to try to invalidate my opinion. It's cool. You can enjoy this album and I can enjoy her older ones. I was just giving my thoughts on this record like everyone else. No drama. I actually love Kesha ✌️

There's a very simple solution to this sentiment that Kesha herself laid out and which makes posting stale nostalgia comments under a 2023 album superfluous:

“People can have nostalgia for who I once was and she‘s there. That’s a chapter of my life. Bang out Cannibal if you want Cannibal. But if you wanna go on this ride with me, if you‘re ready, it’s a different experience“.

• Like 2

I'm.... not sure how to feel about this album, I loved all of her previous work, including all of High Road (which was paid dust), but this one... I think it's the production that isn't really alluring me? I'm not much of a lyrics person so if that's the focus here, I see why people might enjoy it. As of now, I can see coming back to OLCSUN and Hate Me Harder, other than that, I hope this album grows somehow :dancehall: I also didn't like Honey when it dropped :dancehall:

28 minutes ago, limelightofdawn said:

Can there be an auto thread ban for users wanting her to go back to 2011 with the $ where she was unhappy forced to make generic party hits for an abuser who sexually assaulted and manipulated her for years 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sexyzinger said:

The majority of the reviews have been overwhelmingly positive besides a few users who just want her to back to making generic dated pop tracks 

6 minutes ago, Sexyzinger said:

I don't know why you think that honestly, this album has overwhelmingly positive reception. No comparison to High Road at all.

3 minutes ago, TomTom2288 said:

I don't know why you think that honestly, this album has overwhelmingly positive reception. No comparison to High Road at all.

Right? The only criticism I’m seeing is the stuff mentioned above and people who just aren’t getting it on the first listen. 

• Like 1

I can actually hear Warrior-Ke$ha singing this

8 minutes ago, CroNich said:

Can there be an auto thread ban for users wanting her to go back to 2011 with the $ where she was unhappy forced to make generic party hits for an abuser who sexually assaulted and manipulated her for years 

Seriously? I would never want her to be unhappy or abused. Wtf. I was just saying that as a fan, I'm not connecting with this record on first listen because it feels, to me, so sonically far removed from the albums I loved from her. I've always been a massive supporter of hers and want what is best for her. And I'm leaving this here now because imo that response was totally unfair :rip:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I’m not getting into this new era, unfortunately, because I really love her. I wish I could enjoy this album, but this isn’t happening 

• Like 2

I am completely and utterly gagged. I won’t lie after HR I wasn’t sure she had it in her. But she succeeded :jonny6: I’m so proud of her for making such a weird, interesting, FRESH record all the way through

Animal is a pop bible for me but this has to be in consideration as her best album 

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, itsdavimiguel said:

I’m not getting into this new era, unfortunately, because I really love her. I wish I could enjoy this album, but this isn’t happening 

Be careful. You're going to get lynched 💀

This is literally all I was trying to say.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1