IF MTV, BET & VH1 Decided To Start Doing More Music Programming....

Materialboy215

MTV-Announces-90s-Channel.png

on TV/Streaming platforms ... Like we had in the 80s, 90s and 2000s, do U think that could help breathe some new much needed new life into the music industry?

Imagine bringing the countdown shows back for each channel, Cribs, Fabulous life of (insert celebrity here), concert series, festivals, live podcasts etc.

Its so much that could be done and I believe that its a market out there for it all!

Just check out the meme below it used to be sooooo damn many channels out there for all genres of music now all MTV does is promote teen pregnancy 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

I wonder what made all these channels suddenly stopped promoting music and artists?  Like its almost as if it happened overnight or something.

6a55d033487f522aefb863aeba959294.png

Would U be here if MTV, VH1, BET started music programming again or would U like to see new channels/streaming platforms emerge to fill that void that those channels left?

Edited by Materialboy215

There's barely an audience for TV anymore let alone cable unless it's a popular program. No one is gonna sit down on the TV to watch a MV they can't choose from.

Not only does the internet exist, but music streaming does too. There is zero need for those type of shows. Let it rest.

4 minutes ago, JBJT2786 said:

There's barely an audience for TV anymore let alone cable unless it's a popular program. No one is gonna sit down on the TV to watch a MV they can't choose from.

I also talked about streaming which a lot of people do and it's a lot of other things you can do besides showing just music videos. 

Look at Yung Miami show on Revolt?  It does good numbers on Youtube and Revolt.

No, their time has passed. Even some award shows are pointless nowdays. 

maybe if they implemented it to streaming and made it something where stans can easily interact with

Just now, Power love said:

If it was something on streaming sure but not normal television. 

I agree & sh!!t I cut my cable cord like 3 yrs ago now and I don't regret it one bit lol.   However I think a all music centered app or streaming platform can work that shows concerts/festivals, interviews, celebrity cribs & they're lifestyles, live podcasts etc

5 minutes ago, GustavoBardusco said:

No, their time has passed. Even some award shows are pointless nowdays. 

Award shows suck cause nobody can really perform or sing live only a small select few can lol and everyone knows that these award shows are bias asf among other things and rarely does the artist that deserves it gets the win.

Frfr awards shows are nothing more than a d!ck measuring contest between the labels lol

Nothing would change because we live in 2023 not 1993 :rip:

If there was a show that had emphasis on news, along with interviewing and giving performing slots to artists the GP is actually listening to, I don’t see why it couldn’t work.

There’s podcasts like No Jumper, Joe Budden podcast, etc. where all they do is sit and talk about music and get hundreds of thousands of views every week. Find some interesting and likable personalities to host, and it could be a hit. :michael:

Edited by OnikaSlays

4 minutes ago, Materialboy215 said:

Award shows suck cause nobody can really perform or sing live only a small select few can lol and everyone knows that these award shows are bias asf among other things and rarely does the artist that deserves it gets the win.

Frfr awards shows are nothing more than a d!ck measuring contest between the labels lol

Yeah but I wasn't even thinking about the awards itself, more about the show/performances. They don't make any impact anymore. 

they do bring it back every couple years and the channels flop and have to be repurposed because no one is watching. 

also the blocks they do have are just awful. who wants to watch 2-3 grab bag variety videos & then go to a very long commercial break? and good luck getting people to pay for cable or a streaming service. 

however, if you're just feeling nostalgic there are lots of old MTV blocks online. I had club MTV on constantly over the summer and it was really comforting.

14 minutes ago, GustavoBardusco said:

Yeah but I wasn't even thinking about the awards itself, more about the show/performances. They don't make any impact anymore. 

They damn sure don't 😭 like ZONE they be so boring I don't even bother watching 😂 I think the last award show I really watched was the 2016 VMAs when Britney, Beyonce and Rihanna all performed lol.

I think part of the problem is that labels don't do artist development anymore which of course U know prepares them for things like that ... now soon as they sign these labels are literally pushing these kids out there smh.

1 minute ago, samsclubPRESENTSavam said:

they do bring it back every couple years and the channels flop and have to be repurposed because no one is watching. 

also the blocks they do have are just awful. who wants to watch 2-3 grab bag variety videos & then go to a very long commercial break? and good luck getting people to pay for cable or a streaming service. 

however, if you're just feeling nostalgic there are lots of old MTV blocks online. I had club MTV on constantly over the summer and it was really comforting.

Are U in the States sis? 

I definitely think it should be updated to fit into todays times and thats going to be streaming and apps of some sorts imo.

MTV commercials used to be like damn near 10m long 😭

It wouldn't work. MTV is kinda like Top of the Pops: you can argue the plug was pulled a bit too soon, but now that's it's done, it can't be undone. People have moved on to streaming and they're never coming back.

Plus, pop stars don't need MTV like in the 90s/00s. They just use social media to promote their music and establish their brand. MTV and other music channels have nothing to offer.

It's too late.

No one watches live TV anymore except select event programming (Superbowl, World Cup, NFL).

MTV is dead. Maybe if they had a Tik Tok/Instagram/YT channel with performances and behind the scenes clips.

Maaaaaaaybe.

This is honestly what they should've done with the MTV side of Paramount+, but instead it's been a whole lot of NOTHING -- except for The Challenge All Stars and the Real World Homecoming reunion seasons.

I get that this kind of music-oriented programming is far more niche than back in the day. But it's SO frustrating that MTV has one of the most amazing content vaults, and all they do is sit on it :deadbanana:

If they made more programming like what's typically on AXS TV (concert films, music docs, artist spotlights/interviews, cute little top 10s with celebrity commentators a la 2000s VH1), but with extra rare archival footage from the MTV vaults, I'd stream that!  It'd be something fun to watch real quick while having dinner.

And then they could also upload some old VMAs, plus episodes of Ultrasound, Unplugged, Week in Rock, etc.  If WWE can get people to pay for Peacock just so they can watch some random wrestling event from December 1989, MTV can too!  :coffee2: 

I'd be here for it.  Channel (v) and Max still have it going over here I just don't bother paying for the channels because we got YouTube 

But I remember watching all those plus mtv and vh1 all through 2005 - 2008

Only a little bit would’ve changed because the masses have moved on from present-day music, the difference between the ’80s, ’90s, and the early half of 00’s to the present day is night and day, see back in the day you can see the demand and their willingness to pay the single in form of a cd with much more expensive price than the actual album itself is one of the examples.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.