US Uni professor fired for showing Prophet Muhammad painting, after student complaint

Delirious

• She gave students two minutes' warning to look away from the screen 
  • Erika Lopez Prater was fired by Hamline and deemed 'undeniably Islamophobic' 
  • In an online art history class, she showed an image of a 14th century painting of Prophet Muhammad 
  • Aram Wedatalla, head of the university's Muslim Association, complained 
  • A Change.org petition slamming Hamline has attracted 15,000 signatures
  • Muslim professor Amna Khalid said Hamline 'privileged a most extreme and conservative Muslim point of view'
  • Hamline University is a private university in Saint Paul, Minnesota

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11615609/amp/Hamline-University-slammed-firing-professor-showed-image-Prophet-Muhammad.html

Edited by Delirious

that's like going on Grindr and complaining people send you d*ck pics

the professor even warned them in advance and everything lol

Edited by ProudLBS

so obsessed with being islamaphobic that the OP couldn't even make the thread readable. Was just too quick to make a thread. 

"Conscious that in some branches of Islam it is blasphemous to look at any image of the Prophet, Professor Prater gave students two minutes to look away from the screen or log out before she projected the image onto her presentation. 

Aram Wedatalla, a student who is also the president of the university's Muslim association, chose to remain online in the class. She then complained to school officials that the image 'blindsided' her and made her feel marginalized."

Some people should not have the right to get an education :rip:

Only religious people would take away other people's way of living for the most harmless **** like this, yet they want to preach about love n all those bullshit ....WTF is this

"Conscious that in some branches of Islam it is blasphemous to look at any image of the Prophet, Professor Prater gave students two minutes to look away from the screen or log out before she projected the image onto her presentation. 

Aram Wedatalla, a student who is also the president of the university's Muslim association, chose to remain online in the class. She then complained to school officials that the image 'blindsided' her and made her feel marginalized. " 

Muslims had no problem with Muhammad drawings in the Middle Ages

https://www.sanskritimagazine.com/islams-hidden-history-muhammads-images-paintings/

I am genuinely curious why there’s consequences for “blasphemy” showing Muhammad’s photo on any media but there’s absolutely none for making a mockery of Jesus/Christianity in Hollywood or anywhere else?

3 minutes ago, Buffy said:

I am genuinely curious why there’s consequences for “blasphemy” showing Muhammad’s photo on any media but there’s absolutely none for making a mockery of Jesus/Christianity in Hollywood or anywhere else?

Could have something to do with the fact that Christians aren't a persecuted class in America while Muslims are routinely demonized, abused, and even killed for practicing their religion. But hey, what do I know?

14 minutes ago, SmittenCake said:

so obsessed with being islamaphobic that the OP couldn't even make the thread readable. Was just too quick to make a thread. 

So are you not going to address the topic at hand and instead, attack me once again like the hundred of times you did before? 

1 minute ago, Delirious said:

So are you not going to address the topic at hand and instead, attack me once again like the hundred of times you did before? 

I'm not attacking you. I am pointing out how urgent it is for you to partake in hate speech and promote division. Considering your history of Islamaphobia on these forums, you have an agenda to promote. A hate-fueled agenda that shouldn't be tolerated. You were so quick to make a thread that the OP isn't even readable and the links aren't loading. Also, please don't make yourself out to be the victim because people call you out on your hate speech. 

3 minutes ago, SmittenCake said:

I'm not attacking you. I am pointing out how urgent it is for you to partake in hate speech and promote division. Considering your history of Islamaphobia on these forums, you have an agenda to promote. A hate-fueled agenda that shouldn't be tolerated. You were so quick to make a thread that the OP isn't even readable and the links aren't loading. Also, please don't make yourself out to be the victim because people call you out on your hate speech. 

Still not addressing the topic at hand I see.

Anyways.

Just now, Bang Up said:

Could have something to do with the fact that Christians aren't a persecuted class in America while Muslims are routinely demonized, abused, and even killed for practicing their religion. But hey, what do I know?

Regardless of geographic location, Muslims prohibit the image of their prophet shown in any country for these specific reasons: https://aboutislam.net/counseling/ask-about-islam/cant-muslims-depict-prophet-muhammad/

Christians alike are also demonized, abused, and killed in other countries for practicing their faith. Yet, we see more consequences enforced for Islam than we do Christianity. Nobody is killed or suffer severe consequences for mocking Jesus and making blasphemous depictions of him in Hollywood or in society. Why does one religion receive more delicate treatment than the other?

I never understood the people of this community who bend backward to defend the practice that constantly killing our people. 

These are the list of countries where being gay is punishable by death? & guess what is the #1 thing all these countries have in common? 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/06/14/countries-where-being-gay-is-legally-punishable-by-death/39574685/

38 minutes ago, Buffy said:

25 minutes ago, Buffy said:

Regardless of geographic location, Muslims prohibit the image of their prophet shown in any country for these specific reasons: https://aboutislam.net/counseling/ask-about-islam/cant-muslims-depict-prophet-muhammad/

Christians alike are also demonized, abused, and killed in other countries for practicing their faith. Yet, we see more consequences enforced for Islam than we do Christianity. Nobody is killed or suffer severe consequences for mocking Jesus and making blasphemous depictions of him in Hollywood or in society. Why does one religion receive more delicate treatment than the other?

Because in Islam it is forbidden to have imagery of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Christians not making a big deal and participating in showing/drawing of what they THINK Jesus looks like has nothing to do with the religion but that those believers don’t stand their ground. Muslims shouldn’t be shamed and looked down upon because we are standing our ground on a belief that is SO easy to respect which is not showing images of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). I can understand someone speaking out against and not wanting to respect Islam because they are homosexual (or an ally to one) because people are being killed for that. And I as a Muslim DO NOT stand for the persecution of any member or ally or the LGBTQIA+ community. But I cannot wrap my head around the obsession nonMuslims have with drawing/showing imagery of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). The images of Jesus not being seen as blasphemy is the fault of Christians that allowed it. Now everyone thinks Jesus is a blond, white man, with European features and it’s not even historically accurate. You had white colonizers using this European looking Jesus to brainwash others into seeing them like God as if it’s not stated that we are ALL made in His image.

idk how someone can see (unless they don’t read history) the harm the imagery and the idolatry of a white European Jesus has done in the dilution of Christian values (including using Christian values to justify slavery and manifest density which led to the mass genocide of several indigenous tribes) and be so clueless as to why Muslims don’t want imagery of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

1 minute ago, TiaTamera said:

Because in Islam it is forbidden to have imagery of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Christians not making a big deal and participating in showing/drawing of what they THINK Jesus looks like has nothing to do with the religion but that those believers don’t stand their ground. Muslims shouldn’t be shamed and looked down upon because we are standing our ground on a belief that is SO easy to respect which is not showing images of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). I can understand someone speaking out against and not wanting to respect Islam because they are homosexual (or an ally to one) because people are being killed for that. And I as a Muslim DO NOT stand for the persecution of any member or ally or the LGBTQIA+ community. But I cannot wrap my head around the obsession nonMuslims have with drawing/showing imagery of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). The images of Jesus not being seen as blasphemy is the fault of Christians that allowed it. Now everyone thinks Jesus is a blond, white man, with European features and it’s not even historically accurate. You had white colonizers using this European looking Jesus to brainwash others into seeing them like God as if it’s not stated that we are ALL made in His image.

idk how someone can see (unless they don’t read history) the harm the imagery and the idolatry of a white European Jesus has done in the dilution of Christian values (including using Christian values to justify slavery and manifest density which led to the mass genocide of several indigenous tribes) and be so clueless as to why Muslims don’t want imagery of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

:clap3:

1 hour ago, Buffy said:

Because American culture is a lot more laid back than Middle Eastern culture. Also, US laws are not solely based off religion and there's also the fact that the US is a mix of cultures and religions... and there's also atheists. Hence, the jokes. At least Americans can take a joke? idk. 

12 minutes ago, TiaTamera said:

Nicely written. I agree with what you’re saying. I read the Bible daily and God did not want Christians erecting & worshipping statues or imageries of him either for the very reasons Muslims are against such depictions. But it’s apparent there are many people in America (and in the world) who are culturally Christian and don’t read their Bibles. I guess I’ve answered my own question.

Yeah uh I don't think she should've been fired for this. I'm sorry that girl felt so offended by the image, but, from what I understand, there were warnings before the class even started, let alone the 2 minute lead-up to allow those uncomfortable to leave the zoom call. It's an islamic art history class... historical islamic art of all kinds should be discussed, including pieces that might not be acceptable today, for the sake of historical analysis, study, and understanding in an academic context. The professor obviously didn't come from a place of malice, and tried to give any people who might get upset enough of a warning to leave. Just because one student didn't heed those warnings, got upset, and reported the professor does not mean that what the professor did was a fireable offence :gaycat6:

1 hour ago, Take Me Apart said:

Aram Wedatalla, a student who is also the president of the university's Muslim association, chose to remain online in the class. She then complained to school officials that the image 'blindsided' her and made her feel marginalized."

Some people should not have the right to get an education :rip:

That student did it on purpose. 

3 hours ago, SmittenCake said:

3 hours ago, Delirious said:

Still not addressing the topic at hand I see.

Anyways.

2 hours ago, TiaTamera said:

BEHAVE SISTREN! :

:bam:

Not only did she give them advance warning in the class, she already included in the syllabus that there would be depictions of Mohammed. People need to stop bending without question to the stone-age beliefs of radical Muslims. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.