Diversity 5: Let's Celebrate! | Winner revealed (pg.154)

thecptz

• Replies
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thecptz

• Kinich

• Dessy

• Not Like The Movies

NPrewYs.png

ROUND 7 (weather forecast)

ENTRIES

while you all wait for the judges, here are all the songs for you to have fun with it OR you can just critique these songs too :heart2:

judges will have 36 hours (7am ET on tuesday 28th) to judge your entries!!

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

Spoiler

Björk - Pluto (Thunderstorm)

Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind (A slightly breezy, warm, sunny late Spring day)

Charli XCX - Stay Away (Rain)

Christina Aguilera - Fighter (Hurricane)

Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer (Sunny, hot, summer, etc.)

Doja Cat - Vegas (Sunny - Humid Heat)

FKA twigs - fallen alien (A very rainy and windy thunderstorm... the rain is pouring and the thunder is loud.)

Kesha - Love Into the Light (Sunset - Stormy Night - Sunrise)

Miley Cyrus - Malibu (Hot sunny weather after a storm has passed)

P!nk - Family Portrait (Thunderstorm)

Shygirl - Firefly (Drizzling rain)

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image)

good luck :heart2:

I love the descriptive bits and the visual references djdjd this round is definitely one of the most creative and fun so far!!

1 hour ago, minho said:

I love the descriptive bits and the visual references djdjd this round is definitely one of the most creative and fun so far!!

i think we have 2 or 3 more rounds planned that involve having to explain your choice. one is a new theme that hasn't been done before! so hope you make it till the point :keir:

『h』『i』『k』『a』『r』『i』 『h』『a』『s』 『s』『h』『*』『t』 『t』『o』 『s』『a』『y』

THe production does give the thunderstorm vibes. I appreciated this more on my second listen.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind (A slightly breezy, warm, sunny late Spring day)

Well calming and breezy were definitely what I felt from listening to this, a bit of a grower tbh.

Yeah these are the type songs I listen to during gloomy days or whenever I feel down.

It does give that calm before the storm feel during the bridge of the song, we love an optimistic bop.

I mean this doesn't even need any sort of explanation at all. Don't tell your mother x

I guess humid heat is the best description for the song but it just didn't feel/sound (?) humid enough for me. I think it sounded better now than when I first heard it in the movie. 

FKA twigs - fallen alien (A very rainy and windy thunderstorm... the rain is pouring and the thunder is loud.)

The chaotic prodctive did give the thunderstorm-like feel for the song, not as aggressive as Pluto but works well enough for me.

I can hear the sunset/sunrise feel of the song, unfortunately it didnt really grab me that much most of the time (the bridge and the last parts pf the song did pull me in a bit)

The song is very summer-y, a bit chill and laid back. The song had to grow on me tbh but the highlights of the song are really nice.

Definitely a rain type of song, a different kind of thunderstorm (more on the dramatic side). The song was alright.

The light production does give the drizzle feel. Not a love at first listen kind of song but when it grew, it grew tremendously. 

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image)

Yeah I can picture the sunny sky with a rainbow with this song. A very nice/bubbly way to end this round, loves it.

don't tell your mother

9 hours ago, Hikari said:

『h』『i』『k』『a』『r』『i』 『h』『a』『s』 『s』『h』『*』『t』 『t』『o』 『s』『a』『y』

Reveal hidden contents

THe production does give the thunderstorm vibes. I appreciated this more on my second listen.

Well calming and breezy were definitely what I felt from listening to this, a bit of a grower tbh.

Yeah these are the type songs I listen to during gloomy days or whenever I feel down.

It does give that calm before the storm feel during the bridge of the song, we love an optimistic bop.

I mean this doesn't even need any sort of explanation at all. Don't tell your mother x

I guess humid heat is the best description for the song but it just didn't feel/sound (?) humid enough for me. I think it sounded better now than when I first heard it in the movie. 

The chaotic prodctive did give the thunderstorm-like feel for the song, not as aggressive as Pluto but works well enough for me.

I can hear the sunset/sunrise feel of the song, unfortunately it didnt really grab me that much most of the time (the bridge and the last parts pf the song did pull me in a bit)

The song is very summer-y, a bit chill and laid back. The song had to grow on me tbh but the highlights of the song are really nice.

Definitely a rain type of song, a different kind of thunderstorm (more on the dramatic side). The song was alright.

The light production does give the drizzle feel. Not a love at first listen kind of song but when it grew, it grew tremendously. 

Yeah I can picture the sunny sky with a rainbow with this song. A very nice/bubbly way to end this round, loves it.

thank you judge hikari :gaycat1:

wow the judges are SLOW

ROUND SEVEN CRITIQUES

Björk - Pluto (Thunderstorm): Huge banger and I do think it captures the chaos of a thunderstorm well

Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind (A slightly breezy, warm, sunny late Spring day): Perfect fit and with a mega CLASSIC (for me at least)

Charli XCX - Stay Away (Rain): Has a gloomy vibe to it even if not as straightforward as some songs here are, I like it as well although not one of my FAVE faves from her

Christina Aguilera - Fighter (Hurricane): I agree this song has an intensity that gives off tumultuous energy (many of her songs do because... well :skull:). Maybe a bit of a reach but yeah, fun bop too

Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer (Sunny, hot, summer, etc.): This isn't evocative of weather in sound at all I'm sorry.... but yeah it's obviously there with the lyrics. Cute song

Doja Cat - Vegas (Sunny - Humid Heat): I dunno, I appreciate the effort in painting a full vision with your description but even with that I'm struggling to get there. Song is fine

FKA twigs - fallen alien (A very rainy and windy thunderstorm... the rain is pouring and the thunder is loud.): This was a bit too on and off in that energy to sell it as much as Pluto did. I love the song though!

Kesha - Love Into the Light (Sunset - Stormy Night - Sunrise): Hm, I SORTA see it, wouldn't say it hits the nail on the head but like yeah I get the approach - one of the weaker thematic fits here, though. I've always felt this was an underrated track from her! 

Miley Cyrus - Malibu (Hot sunny weather after a storm has passed): Hits the theme great in the same way Carly's does! As for the song, it's nice. Not one of my favorites here but pleasant

P!nk - Family Portrait (Thunderstorm): I see what you were going for, sonically... mixed feelings. It does have the kind of gloomy energy to it that evokes a rainy day in your mind, so it's a cool choice at least. Enjoyable song

Shygirl - Firefly (Drizzling rain): The garage elements give off a rainy vibe and her vocals give it a light feeling, kind of like rain that's made of... plastic? Could be a little more direct, but it's creative. Banger!

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image): I see the vision but not sure it's quite convincing enough for me. Lovely song!

@CBC @Staryu @Future Lover @Auburn @Noah @EscapismRoars @Touch It @Lucky#17  @wish @Rotunda @minho @Not Like The Movies

Fitting? This doesn’t feel like a thunderstorm to me, a little disjointed like lightening I suppose. Your explanation did help though to get why you picked this, and it helped for the fitting section. Do I like it? I like the beats, but not sure how I feel about the vocals.

Fitting? I think it’s fitting, but I think I would change “slightly breezy” to full breezy, which doesn’t affect it fitting because it still fits. Do I like it? I found it enjoyable, very warm and breezy, ya know?

Fitting? Yes, and I agree with your description for the most part. Do I like it? I’m not sure this is for me, but it’s not terrible.

Fitting? Yes, I’d say so, and your description is sending me into another dimension. Do I like it? Yes, I do.

Fitting? Yes, it’s the quintessential summer song. Do I like it? I’m not the song’s biggest fan, I’m sorry to say.

Fitting? Humid heat is so oddly specific, but I 100% understand it for the song, and your description was a masterpiece of imagery I’ll just say that. Do I like it? For the most part, I do enjoy it.

Fitting? It’s interesting, because I can hear parts of your weather description in certain areas of the song, but can’t for all of it. At the same time, I think it’s where during a rainy and windy thunderstorm there are the chill hard moments of rain before bah BOOM, so for that, I do think it fits if looking at the overall picture of a thunderstorm in general. Do I like it? Kind of reminds me of Within Temptation in a way and that’s working for me.

Fitting? Sunset - stormy night: yes. Stormy night - sunrise: not so much. So I would say for the most part. Do I like it? I don’t dislike it; it’s just very of its time.

Fitting? I would say so. Do I like it? Yeah, it’s a pretty song.

Fitting? From your description, I get what you were going for since you were focusing on lyrics. Beats/melody wise I can see it veering into more “it’s a hard rainy night” territory rather than full on thunderstorm, but since it’s all part of the same family, I can see it mostly fitting the bill. Do I like it? It’s good, hits a person where it hurts.

Fitting? Yes, I think it fits drizzling rain very well. Do I like it? I like it, makes me feel like I’m dancing through a magical forest as a wood nymph.

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image)

Fitting? Yes, and the image is particularly fitting. I felt it. Do I like it? I liked it the longer the song went. It’s a good time!

2AopB7c.png

Björk - Pluto (Thunderstorm): Captures the thunderstorm scenario effectively for me. One of my favorite bjork songs ever too. A recipe for success. 

Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind (A slightly breezy, warm, sunny late Spring day): I get the scenario this was going for. Never was a big fan of this song but in the context it's decent enough. 

Charli XCX - Stay Away (Rain): I can understand this playing with rain in the background. One of TR's highlights. 

Christina Aguilera - Fighter (Hurricane): First I must say your description is not making me miss hurricane season around here. I kind of get this selection for that specific weather. As a song it's not that appealing to me personally. 

Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer (Sunny, hot, summer, etc.): Song for the outdoor summer party events. One of her best I think. 

Doja Cat - Vegas (Sunny - Humid Heat): Not really getting that much of a sunny vibe from this despite the name and Florida example. Song wise, it's not bad but I wish it was less repetitive and a lil more catchy. 

FKA twigs - fallen alien (A very rainy and windy thunderstorm... the rain is pouring and the thunder is loud.): Not as effective as other rain songs for me when it comes to imagery/vibe setting. Song wise I can't really get into her singing delivery here but there are some other production elements that I liked. 

Kesha - Love Into the Light (Sunset - Stormy Night - Sunrise): Sounds like something that could be played in the evenings but I don't think it was a strong execution. Song wise i'm on the fence but I didn't dislike it overall. 

Miley Cyrus - Malibu (Hot sunny weather after a storm has passed): The imagery is easy to picture with this song. Good song in context. 

P!nk - Family Portrait (Thunderstorm): Not very effective for me sonically.  Lyrically it's "gloomy" but it's still not clicking for me. Song wise, eh i've heard better and worse from her. 

Shygirl - Firefly (Drizzling rain): Production wise there's a fit although not a complete one like some other rain songs . Song wise I like it enough. 

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image): I like the extra details for the weather description. Think the vibe fits well enough. Song wise, there's an old-school sound to it that I like.

judge entry:

A cold rain storm approaching, holding an umbrella over his girl as he's trying to find shelter. 

@CBC @Staryu @Future Lover @Auburn @Noah @EscapismRoars @Touch It @Lucky#17  @wish @Rotunda @minho @Not Like The Movies

22 hours ago, Sanguine said:

ROUND SEVEN CRITIQUES

Reveal hidden contents

Björk - Pluto (Thunderstorm): Huge banger and I do think it captures the chaos of a thunderstorm well

Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind (A slightly breezy, warm, sunny late Spring day): Perfect fit and with a mega CLASSIC (for me at least)

Charli XCX - Stay Away (Rain): Has a gloomy vibe to it even if not as straightforward as some songs here are, I like it as well although not one of my FAVE faves from her

Christina Aguilera - Fighter (Hurricane): I agree this song has an intensity that gives off tumultuous energy (many of her songs do because... well :skull:). Maybe a bit of a reach but yeah, fun bop too

Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer (Sunny, hot, summer, etc.): This isn't evocative of weather in sound at all I'm sorry.... but yeah it's obviously there with the lyrics. Cute song

Doja Cat - Vegas (Sunny - Humid Heat): I dunno, I appreciate the effort in painting a full vision with your description but even with that I'm struggling to get there. Song is fine

FKA twigs - fallen alien (A very rainy and windy thunderstorm... the rain is pouring and the thunder is loud.): This was a bit too on and off in that energy to sell it as much as Pluto did. I love the song though!

Kesha - Love Into the Light (Sunset - Stormy Night - Sunrise): Hm, I SORTA see it, wouldn't say it hits the nail on the head but like yeah I get the approach - one of the weaker thematic fits here, though. I've always felt this was an underrated track from her! 

Miley Cyrus - Malibu (Hot sunny weather after a storm has passed): Hits the theme great in the same way Carly's does! As for the song, it's nice. Not one of my favorites here but pleasant

P!nk - Family Portrait (Thunderstorm): I see what you were going for, sonically... mixed feelings. It does have the kind of gloomy energy to it that evokes a rainy day in your mind, so it's a cool choice at least. Enjoyable song

Shygirl - Firefly (Drizzling rain): The garage elements give off a rainy vibe and her vocals give it a light feeling, kind of like rain that's made of... plastic? Could be a little more direct, but it's creative. Banger!

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image): I see the vision but not sure it's quite convincing enough for me. Lovely song!

18 hours ago, Euterpe said:

Reveal hidden contents

Fitting? This doesn’t feel like a thunderstorm to me, a little disjointed like lightening I suppose. Your explanation did help though to get why you picked this, and it helped for the fitting section. Do I like it? I like the beats, but not sure how I feel about the vocals.

Fitting? I think it’s fitting, but I think I would change “slightly breezy” to full breezy, which doesn’t affect it fitting because it still fits. Do I like it? I found it enjoyable, very warm and breezy, ya know?

Fitting? Yes, and I agree with your description for the most part. Do I like it? I’m not sure this is for me, but it’s not terrible.

Fitting? Yes, I’d say so, and your description is sending me into another dimension. Do I like it? Yes, I do.

Fitting? Yes, it’s the quintessential summer song. Do I like it? I’m not the song’s biggest fan, I’m sorry to say.

Fitting? Humid heat is so oddly specific, but I 100% understand it for the song, and your description was a masterpiece of imagery I’ll just say that. Do I like it? For the most part, I do enjoy it.

Fitting? It’s interesting, because I can hear parts of your weather description in certain areas of the song, but can’t for all of it. At the same time, I think it’s where during a rainy and windy thunderstorm there are the chill hard moments of rain before bah BOOM, so for that, I do think it fits if looking at the overall picture of a thunderstorm in general. Do I like it? Kind of reminds me of Within Temptation in a way and that’s working for me.

Fitting? Sunset - stormy night: yes. Stormy night - sunrise: not so much. So I would say for the most part. Do I like it? I don’t dislike it; it’s just very of its time.

Fitting? I would say so. Do I like it? Yeah, it’s a pretty song.

Fitting? From your description, I get what you were going for since you were focusing on lyrics. Beats/melody wise I can see it veering into more “it’s a hard rainy night” territory rather than full on thunderstorm, but since it’s all part of the same family, I can see it mostly fitting the bill. Do I like it? It’s good, hits a person where it hurts.

Fitting? Yes, I think it fits drizzling rain very well. Do I like it? I like it, makes me feel like I’m dancing through a magical forest as a wood nymph.

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image)

Fitting? Yes, and the image is particularly fitting. I felt it. Do I like it? I liked it the longer the song went. It’s a good time!

17 hours ago, Tom Vercetti said:

2AopB7c.png

Reveal hidden contents

Björk - Pluto (Thunderstorm): Captures the thunderstorm scenario effectively for me. One of my favorite bjork songs ever too. A recipe for success. 

Carly Rae Jepsen - Western Wind (A slightly breezy, warm, sunny late Spring day): I get the scenario this was going for. Never was a big fan of this song but in the context it's decent enough. 

Charli XCX - Stay Away (Rain): I can understand this playing with rain in the background. One of TR's highlights. 

Christina Aguilera - Fighter (Hurricane): First I must say your description is not making me miss hurricane season around here. I kind of get this selection for that specific weather. As a song it's not that appealing to me personally. 

Demi Lovato - Cool for the Summer (Sunny, hot, summer, etc.): Song for the outdoor summer party events. One of her best I think. 

Doja Cat - Vegas (Sunny - Humid Heat): Not really getting that much of a sunny vibe from this despite the name and Florida example. Song wise, it's not bad but I wish it was less repetitive and a lil more catchy. 

FKA twigs - fallen alien (A very rainy and windy thunderstorm... the rain is pouring and the thunder is loud.): Not as effective as other rain songs for me when it comes to imagery/vibe setting. Song wise I can't really get into her singing delivery here but there are some other production elements that I liked. 

Kesha - Love Into the Light (Sunset - Stormy Night - Sunrise): Sounds like something that could be played in the evenings but I don't think it was a strong execution. Song wise i'm on the fence but I didn't dislike it overall. 

Miley Cyrus - Malibu (Hot sunny weather after a storm has passed): The imagery is easy to picture with this song. Good song in context. 

P!nk - Family Portrait (Thunderstorm): Not very effective for me sonically.  Lyrically it's "gloomy" but it's still not clicking for me. Song wise, eh i've heard better and worse from her. 

Shygirl - Firefly (Drizzling rain): Production wise there's a fit although not a complete one like some other rain songs . Song wise I like it enough. 

Solange - I Decided, Part 1 (Sunny sky with a rainbow and puffy clouds, think of this image): I like the extra details for the weather description. Think the vibe fits well enough. Song wise, there's an old-school sound to it that I like.

judge entry:

A cold rain storm approaching, holding an umbrella over his girl as he's trying to find shelter. 

thank you judges :WAP:

• ATRL Moderator

BruisedElectricFrog-max-1mb.gif

ELEMENT'S CRITIQUES

Excellent choice for the theme!! The production was so perfect for the thunderstorm aesthetic, wow. From a personal taste perspective... I would never listen to it willingly, but I can acknowledge that it was exciting and different.

I mean.... this is just perfection for the theme. Sonically and lyrically, it encapsulates the feeling with ease. I can FEEL spring approaching (and I need it badly). When this first came out, I felt kind of bored by it and gave it like a 7/10. The track massively grew on me throughout the year and now I absolutely love it.

I've never heard this before! I do wish the chorus was a little more explosive, but it was still enjoyable. For the theme... I can see the angle you're taking, with relating this back to a gloomy, rainy day. However, it's not the strongest association compared to some other entries.

Creative metaphor without a doubt. I do especially like the recognition of the buildup at the beginning. The song is quite intense and I think a hurricane's playlist would definitely have this playing! IDK if I am fully seeing it from a lyrical perspective since the song is a bit uplifting in its POV. This is def a strong Xtina song and classic for me though.

One of Demi's absolute best!! I love this song. I think it makes a lot of sense as your choice for the round.

Feels like a nighttime song to me but I don't disagree with the humid/heat association. I think that works pretty well. As for the song itself, I haven't been crazy about this despite hearing it on the radio all the time. It's like one of those songs that I'll listen to if nothing else is on.

I feel kind of mixed about this entry on both fronts. There are definitely parts of the song where the production/chaotic vocals feel right for a thunderstorm. Other times, they feel a bit too sparse. From a personal taste perspective, I like the parts with a lot of production and instrumentation... but the more stripped sections with just her voice, I am not a fan of.

I loved the image that you painted with your description! I definitely could see the sunset aspect in the early parts, but I am not sure I was sold on the element of storminess in the choruses. The return of the quieter verses also made didn't align with what I expected. From a personal taste perspective?? I loved this song back in 2012 and I am HAPPY to report that it aged well for me. What a lovely track truly!

I've always really loved this song! It might not be her best, but it's high up there for me tbh. It's simple and beautiful. The weather association is clear and your write-up descriptive. No complaints there.

Hmm... yeah this one is a bit of a stretch for the theme honestly. I think it definitely works lyrically, but I'm not sold on the sonics at all. I will say that I really enjoyed this song from the taste perspective... like why is she not making music like this anymore ugh?? I'm sick of generic mom music! The kids voices at the end + the length did start to dwindle my enjoyment towards the end.

I think you're definitely on a good track with your description and connection the drizzling rain! It works fairly well for me lyrically and sonically. This song is fine for me personally, but nothing that gets me too excited.

Pretty good connection to the weather and I appreciated the imagery!! I enjoyed the song too. Very positive feeling that left me happy at the end of this playlist!

@CBC @Staryu @Future Lover @Auburn @Noah @EscapismRoars 

@Touch It @Lucky#17  @wish @Rotunda @minho @Not Like The Movies

Thank you EG! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.