Will there ever be a way to stop or reverse aging?

IBeMe

1 hour ago, Buffy said:

Definitely not 50 but I can tell he's not a teen for example. When you are into skincare you can usually tell when someone is older even if they look younger than their age

Never that!

All I want is to be relatively healthy into old age and hopefully not get Alzheimer's. Don't really care too much about wrinkles. It shows you've lived a full life!

• ATRL Moderator

No.

There are studies suggesting it’s literally not possible, which is the intuitive answer. Stars wear out and die at some point. 
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-23894-3

Also, I REALLY suggest citing and reading actual scientific paper. Pseudoscience and “science articles” written by people who aren’t scientists that churn out clickbait are extremely common. Saying, “scientists say X” is not compelling, nor is it admissible. Science is one of the most misrepresented sectors in media. So, please do yourself a favor by reading actual science. 

17 hours ago, Bloo said:

No.

There are studies suggesting it’s literally not possible, which is the intuitive answer. Stars wear out and die at some point. 
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-23894-3

Also, I REALLY suggest citing and reading actual scientific paper. Pseudoscience and “science articles” written by people who aren’t scientists that churn out clickbait are extremely common. Saying, “scientists say X” is not compelling, nor is it admissible. Science is one of the most misrepresented sectors in media. So, please do yourself a favor by reading actual science. 

Well the entire universe will cease to exist at one point, but I dont think people mean immortal in that literal sense.

Only by hundreds or thousands of years maybe

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Armani? said:

Well the entire universe will cease to exist at one point, but I dont think people mean immortal in that literal sense.

Only by hundreds or thousands of years maybe

Even that’s science fiction. There is nothing substantive to suggest that’s in the cards. So leading with the claim that it’s something “scientists” are saying is on the horizon is just not accurate. 

44 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Even that’s science fiction. There is nothing substantive to suggest that’s in the cards. So leading with the claim that it’s something “scientists” are saying is on the horizon is just not accurate. 

I wouldn't say it's impossible, if they can edit certain genes in worms (for example) to live much longer. The science is just in infancy for humans. 

But the only thing I've seen to extend length of telemeres now for humans is a whole food plant based diet & meditation/social support.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(13)70366-8/fulltext

But ppl dont want to do that. They want a pill or potion.

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Armani? said:

I wouldn't say it's impossible, if they can edit certain genes in worms (for example) to live much longer. The science is just in infancy for humans. 

But the only thing I've seen to extend length of telemeres now for humans is a whole food plant based diet & meditation/social support.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(13)70366-8/fulltext

But ppl dont want to do that. They want a pill or potion.

Improving a person's health to let them live a long life is a very different sales pitch from extending human life. The body breaks down over time naturally and there is no meaningful evidence to suggest we can significantly deter that fact of biology. 

My point is you shouldn't just blindly assume it's possible for no reason. Many people do that with science and it's just not helpful to anyone.

29 minutes ago, Armani? said:

@IBeMe

the title has be intrigued! I'm going to watch this when I get home for sure. Thank you good sis @Armani?:hug: :heart2: 

I am in my early twenties still but my mid twenties are something I am scared of. I heard once you turn 25 all your health starts to sink and you start to also have visible aging signs and that scares me so I am trying to find hope and I've been seeing some youtube vids that give me a bit of hope...though I am skeptical :'( with that said, I'm also going to talk to a therapist about this if my thoughts persist. Like I am dead scared of turning old and weak and not being able to move and ish and looking old etc and I am still too young to be thinking like this. It's kept me up at night recently....I need to try to move on from this irrational fear tbh

On 1/10/2023 at 7:28 AM, IBeMe said:

the title has be intrigued! I'm going to watch this when I get home for sure. Thank you good sis @Armani?:hug: :heart2: 

I am in my early twenties still but my mid twenties are something I am scared of. I heard once you turn 25 all your health starts to sink and you start to also have visible aging signs and that scares me so I am trying to find hope and I've been seeing some youtube vids that give me a bit of hope...though I am skeptical :'( with that said, I'm also going to talk to a therapist about this if my thoughts persist. Like I am dead scared of turning old and weak and not being able to move and ish and looking old etc and I am still too young to be thinking like this. It's kept me up at night recently....I need to try to move on from this irrational fear tbh

So what do you think?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.