• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• Kassi

• Bears01

• suburbannature

The way they have to go through the whole thing anyway even though none of the nominees will win a majority :rip: I'd be pressed. 

• ATRL Moderator
5 minutes ago, Sombre said:

Not American so I don't get it - why can't Jeffries be the speaker if he keeps winning? Is there a specific threshold that they need to meet? 

Yeah the winner apparently has to get 50% of the valid votes… if enough republicans wear down and vote “present”, it would reduce the 50% threshold enough for Jeffries to win

Just now, Sombre said:

Not American so I don't get it - why can't Jeffries be the speaker if he keeps winning? Is there a specific threshold that they need to meet? 

You have to get an outright majority in order to be speaker. The threshold for getting that majority can be lowered tho if members don't show up or vote present, although depending on who they would have voted for this can move the odds of winning to being more in favor of the opposition so its not exactly encouraged. That especially applies for the GOP in a situation like this where their majority is extremely narrow and enough members are withholding votes from McCarthy to the point that Jeffries is actually getting more votes than him. :rip:

4 minutes ago, Sombre said:

They need 218 votes. The dems don't even have that many people. And it would be unheard of if 6 Republicans voted for a Dem.

3 minutes ago, Sombre said:

218. Democrats only have 212 members voting so they won't reach 218 and neither side will go over to vote for the other. Republicans have 222 seats so they could reach the 218 needed but the person they nominated is awful. So it's going to be a vote after vote political theater until someone drops or gives into what the lone 20-ish Republicans truly want - which is right now McCarthy completely off the ballot to get someone to 218. 

can they just vote Pelosi lmao she did what need to be done :rip:

It's hysterical that all of the Republicans spent months campaigning on the notion that government doesn't work, when this is a prime example of how their stunt fueled agenda is the reason why government hasn't been working. 

Also rich of them to crawl over to the Dem side and start asking for votes when none of them would budge to fund the government not that long ago. They are truly a special kind of evil

Thanks guys! McCarthy should withdraw already. Failing to reach the threshold for SIX times? My ego would be shattered. :skull:

I think it’s a humiliation kink at this point.

not Trump rescinding his endorsement after seeing the amount of L’s Mccarthy continues to take:bibliahh:

10 minutes ago, VOSS said:

lololol-gaetz-reported-mccarthy-for-squa
Just saw this lmfao

Kick him out! 

• ATRL Moderator

The Republicans are so petty lmao

1 hour ago, Sombre said:

Yeah, you gotta hit 218 (which is the majority a party needs to be the majority In the house, republicans have 222) or some of those people who are voting for other republicans vote “present” instead of for somebody else

This is probably his desperation Hail Mary of all desperation Hail Marys. He is probably going to give up EVERYTHING in this meeting :rip: I still think the original 5 who said they’ll never vote for him won’t budge but I wouldn’t be surprised….

He looks so pathetic though it’s embarrassing  

I'm thinking now, if McCarthy doesn't win, will his replacement be a lot worse?

3 minutes ago, Leppie said:

I'm thinking now, if McCarthy doesn't win, will his replacement be a lot worse?

The replacement will be just as bad. Unless dems and the GOP come together to pick out a moderate, which is extremely unlikely.
It is just enjoyable watching this smug ******* get dragged through hell 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.