Kevin McCarthy elected Speaker of the House after 14 losses

slik

37 minutes ago, Kassi said:

Idk, why did prominent Senate co-sponsors of the GND duck a vote on the resolution? I guess anything is possible. :gaycat3:

Because we love Obamacare. :fish1:

Obamacare is garbaj. :psyduck:

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vermillion

• Kassi

• Bears01

• suburbannature

1 minute ago, Genius1111 said:

The thread title needs to be updated to reflect the number of times that Kevin has been humiliated. :eli:

I second this motion :coffee2: @slik

https://news.sky.com/story/its-difficult-not-to-see-parallels-between-chaos-of-us-republican-party-and-uk-conservatives-adam-boulton-12780639

It's difficult not to see parallels between chaos of US Republican party and UK Conservatives | Adam Boulton
Whether it's the "swamp" or "Westminster bubble", on both sides of the Atlantic, politicians have endorsed purges of those they disagree with.

If he becomes speaker, McCarthy says his first priority will be to cancel the hiring of 87,000 tax inspectors. He will also block the crucial bipartisan budget measures already agreed in the Senate.

He has promised to change the rules to make it easier to sack a speaker (a bit like the 1922 Committee and votes of no confidence).

A critical columnist in The New York Times found it "grimly amusing to see that the party of insurrection can't even manage the orderly transfer of power to itself". But the progressive newspaper took a more serious tone assessing the consequences of the refusenik's behaviour: "They simply will not relent and join their colleagues even if it is for the greater good of their party, and perhaps the nation. They consider themselves conservative purists who cannot be placated unless all their demands are met - and maybe not even then. Their agenda is mostly to defund, disrupt and dismantle government, not to participate in it."

53 minutes ago, Communion said:

Are you suggesting Nancy Pelosi would try to sabotage a vote that would have allowed the House under her leadership to pass universal healthcare like Senate Republicans did in introducing a GND text that they didn't even write for a vote? You acknowledging that Nancy would purposefully be at odds with progress is you showing growth! :ohwow:

Pelosi's maxim is always: first you get the votes, then you take the vote. So we know if she brought it to the floor, means it would pass.

Sabotaging a vote is bringing it to the floor without support. Which is what FTV expressly calls for. But when you take political cues from Jimmy Dore... :cm:

Conservatives watching McCarthy’s incompetence and wishing for their own Pelosi is so amusing. :priceless:

Just like they never got their own Obama, they will never have someone like Pelosi.

At this point they’d probably settle for a Reagan and a Gingrich. But sadly they’re stuck with Palins and Trumps as their “superstars”. Hate to see it. :giraffe:

I'd say this is negated by the hypocrisy of her opinion on Congressional stock trades, but whatever :coffee2: 

3 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Am I allowed to say she's right about this? :shutup:

This is the most coherent she has ever sounded. She must be taking the Trump VP spot very seriously 

15 minutes ago, Espresso said:

I always thought MTG was the dumber one out of her and Boebert after the Nick Fuentes **** but yeah MTG is actually right in this situation. :rip: Boebert switching around from candidate to candidate after getting a ton of concessions from McCarthy but nothing from anyone else shows she doesn’t have a serious alternative nor do the concessions matter. She simply doesn’t want McCarthy.

2 hours ago, Espresso said:

Broken clock :shutup:

6 hours ago, Bears01 said:

I mean, any Republican alternative will almost certainly be “worse”, but McCarthy is still not “good” by any stretch of the imagination. He’s a sellout, power hungry, swamp creature *******, who has absolutely no spine whatsoever. None. He’s as weak as it can get. The fact that he has given up EVERYTHING and still can’t win the gavel shows just how pathetic he is. 

Those far right extremists hate him because in their opinion he’s a RINO, but in todays Republican Party, Ronald Regan would be too far left for their ilk

The juxtaposition with weak dems and Nancy Pelosi’s corporate fueled leadership role.  

I know I'm going to get flack for saying this but I actually applaud the republicans for fighting this out. Is it messy and chaotic. Sure. This is the fight I wish progressives had in them as well.  I know these Republicans are only going by a feeling, that McCarthy won't deliver on his promises. Good. These people just say things and aren't ever held accountable. The fact that left and right new media outlets come together against those opposing McCarthy is suspect to me. That was a red red flag for me for sure. Yes even Trump wants McCarty but let’s be real, he’s so dumb.  He has no idea what he’s doing.  The maga cult also don’t want McCarthy and it’s embarrassing that the maga people think they are doing trump a favor with this ordeal. 

I haven’t kept up with the consensus in here but I know I’m in the minority being that even my fave progressive news outlets are aligning with msm news narratives right now.  I feel like I’m in the twilight zone for not seeing this as  a bad thing.  If they follow through, this could set precedence for real  change. It’ll be a messy route but one that may be required. Let them be the Guinea pigs. Hell. 

Edited by manwhore

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.