How Amazing was the ARTPOP Art Direction?

BOOMBAYAH

The Hellenic themes (notably the references to Aphrodite ), the mixing of contemporary and classical art, the futuristic/technological themes mixed in with traditional culture…the concepts and image direction where amazing. I know the era as a whole was messy, but it really makes me appreciate when concepts where really pushed and intelligent in music. 

article-2477437-18FF54C200000578-934_636
e28b6d25002c780db46151614aa59b1e88-19-la

gagarotator_0.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

article-2477610-190153EC00000578-910_634
article-2449293-1897D0B800000578-170_634

c9f13a45c01574a162ea5c90b1e09055.jpg

Artpop’s art direction was the definition of kitchen sink and maximalism at any cost, with a million different things all happening at once and in different ways, but I think the messiness and chaos was part of its charm and what made it such a fun era at the time.

100% agree, that era was SO ambitious and for that alone it will always be one of my all time favorites.

I agree :clap3: It was a mix of everything, everywhere, all at once. (Michelle Yeah promo :eli:). But also, some of the imagery were so simple yet so effective, the announcement photo with the white glasses :jonny6:

I have to agree with the consensus that it was a chaotic mess. I really liked a lot of it but then there was stuff that I didn't like so much. I think the media would have turned on her regardless because it was just her time to be turned on but it didn't help that the era was such a mess. The album is a mixed bag too. I guess it was memorable and idk it did pretty well for a flop. :michael:

The fashion for ARTPOP was just breathtaking once you look at as it was, a clash, just like the album cover. Because the cover is a clash or hybrid of ideas as well....

The amazing LIddo La Maison Gaga did an article about this era and I love to read all the little details behind some of the pieces. 

60059bc8010c47e907461e67e85d33003d180106.jpg

Plus a little fun fact: It took HOURS to iron this piece before the shoot to make it look perfect because it is made out of paper. 

The oversized white mask is from Isabell Yalda Hellysaz’ Fall/Winter 2012 collection

084c4467345b294400b14cf0b958ba466f98f4cb.jpg

The series explores the interplay between women and their love-hate relationship with the stiletto heel: “As an expression of appreciation, I offer my gratitude to all women who endure the torture of wearing such heels. Your sacrifice does not go unnoticed”. There are no shortcuts in Omar’s fine woodworking, the sinuous curves and waves found in his work are hand carved using an untouched block of wood, metal grinder and meticulous hand sanding.

read MORE here

https://lamaisongaga.com/post/167734967782/fashion-credits-lady-gaga-by-inez-vinoodh

20 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

The fashion for ARTPOP was just breathtaking once you look at as it was, a clash, just like the album cover. Because the cover is a clash or hybrid of ideas as well....

The amazing LIddo La Maison Gaga did an article about this era and I love to read all the little details behind some of the pieces. 

60059bc8010c47e907461e67e85d33003d180106.jpg

Plus a little fun fact: It took HOURS to iron this piece before the shoot to make it look perfect because it is made out of paper. 

The oversized white mask is from Isabell Yalda Hellysaz’ Fall/Winter 2012 collection

084c4467345b294400b14cf0b958ba466f98f4cb.jpg

The series explores the interplay between women and their love-hate relationship with the stiletto heel: “As an expression of appreciation, I offer my gratitude to all women who endure the torture of wearing such heels. Your sacrifice does not go unnoticed”. There are no shortcuts in Omar’s fine woodworking, the sinuous curves and waves found in his work are hand carved using an untouched block of wood, metal grinder and meticulous hand sanding.

read MORE here

https://lamaisongaga.com/post/167734967782/fashion-credits-lady-gaga-by-inez-vinoodh

Reading this now, I’m so blown away whew 

2 hours ago, sunbathinganimal said:

Yeah the art direction was amazing, if only the music lived up to it 

It really was amazing and it aged like fine wine. 

i’ve always thought MOTOMAMI’s amazing direction was in a way inspired by Artpop and it’s artistic messiness. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.