Is it OK for gay teachers to come out in class?

Genius1111

Teachers talk about their personal lives to their students all the time. I see no reason to why gay teachers shouldn't bring up in small talks an important part of their life to people they see everyday other than homophobia.

People on this forum trying to be pick me gays for the conservatives will never not be funny :deadbanana:

we shouldn't have to hide it. I tell my students if they ask (which some bolder students have done due to me not being very straight passing)

I do think 'hi im mr so and so and i'm gay' is tacky in any situation though, nevermind just in schools

Please wrap this discussion already and leave it in 2022

I'm begging you

That's no one's business, teachers exist to teach, not to talk about their personal life

I would love it if they did and made it a point to do so. Because it would help so many young gay students relate and normalize it. 

But it’s their personal life and it shouldn’t be a main focus as a teacher. 

I don't care about my teacher's sexuality and it's none of my business tbh. As long as they do their jobs well, and don't do creepy ****. 

Idk really. I mean teachers r there for a job which is to teach but if a student asks then sure 

8 hours ago, Communion said:
Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
distinction without a difference
phrase of distinction
an artificially created distinction where no real difference exists.

8 hours ago, Bloo said:

Yes.

Be mindful of the fact that homophobic parents do not see these statements as different:

• "I am gay."
  • Male Teacher: "My husband and I went to the zoo this past weekend."

Trying to be clever by coming up with some contrived distinction only gives more room for homophobes to persecute queer people.

Good point..

It's literally like saying they are human beings, but the environment should be prepared for it, schools full of lgbt flags and enlightened people makes a world of difference than talking about it in a place full of medieval mentalities, they will suffer a lot as a result and it may even cost them their lives sometimes, sad but true..

Depends.

You mean casually talk about same-sex spouses and/or partners/love interests or something? If so, absolutely. It shouldn't be a question.

But when I hear "coming out" I think of those heart to heart conversations that usually involve a prolonged talk to your close-knit circle of friends, family and well-wishers. I think that might not be best suited to a classroom.

And though some of you may think that the latter is archaic now, a lot of you are in the West - where it is a bit (though unfortunately anti-LGBT sentiment and public policy is advancing at a higher rate) easier to say "who comes out anymore?". I live in a third-world country and for many, coming out never even happens to the aforementioned circle, let alone at the workplace. So that is what informs my perspective on this.

Obviously. I imagine behaviour that is deemed “OK” would involve anything that doesn’t hurt another person, right? And why would coming out hurt another person?

18 hours ago, Myah Marie said:

That's no one's business, teachers exist to teach, not to talk about their personal life

But they do, so…

you either apply this “rule” to gay people only or accept that gays can live the same as straights without being persecuted. No straight teacher is NOT going to talk about their personal life at some point. :rip:

On 1/1/2023 at 12:02 PM, Nashe said:

Can you elaborate this? lol.

I don’t think it’s appropriate to come out, as in, they never let anyone know they are gay and are deciding to make the announcement in school. However, gay people should be able to be gay openly and speak about their partners, families, hobbies etc just like anyone else would. Hopefully that makes more sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.