Is it OK for gay teachers to come out in class?

Genius1111

My teachers would mention their husbands and wives all the time in school.  Not sure why gays can’t do the same.  

this shouldn’t be an issue in the year of our lorde 2023

there’s people that are dying @Genius1111

I never thought about it. Personally I never cared about my teacher's sexuality and it's not my bussiness. It could help to raise awareness tho, a trans friend of mine is a teacher and his students and their parents have taken it well fortunately, unlike some horror stories told here and there :gaycat6:

Come out? Hell no. Be themselves? Absolutely. 

students literally ASKED ME if i was gay. if you don’t say it, they’ll probably be gossiping about it regardless 

i mean, if it comes out in casually conversation, “my husband and I went to on a trip to…” sure. I dont think the teacher has to make a direct announcement though

10 minutes ago, JanStan said:

Come out? Hell no. Be themselves? Absolutely. 

Can you elaborate this? lol.

Yeah. Straight teachers usually do those PowerPoints on the first day where they talk about their spouses/kids so a gay teacher should be able to as well.

I would've loved it if my 7th grade math teacher came out in class. My God, he was hot. :jonny:

It honestly depends on what this means.

LGBT teachers shouldn’t have to hide their identity and experiences, but why are you standing in front of your class and announcing that you’re gay/trans/nb?

34 minutes ago, Nashe said:

Can you elaborate this? lol.

They don't need to say "Hi students my name is mike, i'm 32, i like pizza and i'm gay" but "hi students my name is mike, i'm 32, i like pizza and my husband loves it too".

Edited by vale9001

I wouldn’t say they should “come out” but if they have a photo of their significant other on their desk they should be able to say who it is.

1 hour ago, Pikachoo said:

i mean, if it comes out in casually conversation, “my husband and I went to on a trip to…” sure. I dont think the teacher has to make a direct announcement though

38 minutes ago, OnikaSlays said:

It honestly depends on what this means.

LGBT teachers shouldn’t have to hide their identity and experiences, but why are you standing in front of your class and announcing that you’re gay/trans/nb?

Basically this. It should just be normalised without it having to even be a thing.

Depends where you live, safety is more important than coming out if you live in Russia or Qatar for example

fJva7Gi.gif

If it’s just a casual thing sure nothing wrong with that since heterosexual teachers do it all the time. As long as they(gay or straight) don’t bring their personal issues from work to disrupt students learning. 

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

They don't need to say "Hi students my name is mike, i'm 32, i like pizza and i'm gay" but "hi students my name is mike, i'm 32, i like pizza and my husband loves it too".

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
distinction without a difference
phrase of distinction
an artificially created distinction where no real difference exists.

• ATRL Moderator

Yes lol, teachers always talk about their personal lives to some degree in the classroom, and its completely acceptable for teachers to state their sexual orientation to their students regardless of the grade. 

Why would it not be? :psyduck:

I've had so many straight teachers talk to us literal children/teens about their divorces and ****, let the gays have something too

• ATRL Moderator

Yes.

Be mindful of the fact that homophobic parents do not see these statements as different:

• "I am gay."
  • Male Teacher: "My husband and I went to the zoo this past weekend."

Trying to be clever by coming up with some contrived distinction only gives more room for homophobes to persecute queer people.

So many teachers when I was at school mentioned their husbands/wives/family members from time to time. One of my teachers told me she and her husband got married in a registry office and honeymooned in a caravan. It was relevant to the class topic and nobody ever took issue with it or anything like that. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.