'Dancing On My Own' turns 7

rihsus

“Dancing On My Own” is about dancing alone in the club while watching your ex—who’s with another woman. When writing the song, Robyn took inspiration from classic sad-and-lonely disco anthems by Ultravox, Sylvester, and Donna Summer.

Robyn told Pop Justice:

"I’m fascinated by club culture at the moment…Clubs are like the new church for people—it’s where you go to feel a part of something bigger than yourself.

People have so many expectations when they go out, so many wishes about what their night is going to be: if they’re going to meet that person, have a fun time with their friends, have a good high, hear good music.

People get drunk and turn into themselves in a way, and they go to experience some kind of emotion. But it’s not always about fun. There’s a destructive side to it. But I’m more into the empowerment of going out, because it’s always been the place where I could be myself and get inspired. Even if I’m sad, dancing is a way to let stuff out."

“Dancing On My Own” was nominated for the Grammy for Best Dance Recording in 2011, but Rihanna's 'Only Girl (In the World)' got the win.

H5fUKDR.gif

Edited by rihsus
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NEZ

• rihsus

• butterflysupreme

• Sazare

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the corner, watching you kiss her, oh
I'm right over here, why can't you see me? Oh
I'm giving it my all
But I'm not the girl you're taking home, ooh
I keep dancing on my own
(I keep dancing on my own)

One of the best songs ever released. Poetry 

H5fUKDR.gif

ThisCharmingMan

A masterpiece, and a modern day classic. It's one of those songs that never smashed, yet everybody knows it :alexz::clap3: 

A masterpiece

That tragic and infinitely-more-successful cover destroyed my soul when I heard it constantly last year 

feelslikeadream

Somebody said you got a new friend
Does she love you better than I can?
There's a big black sky over my town
I know where you're at, I bet she's around

Na54Bn6.gif

4 minutes ago, geddymonster said:

I love songs like this that are bops but sad at the same time.

exactly :jonny:

PoisonPill

Best female pop song of the decade :jonny:

btw that radio version in the OP takes all the punch out of the song and ruins it 

Edited by PoisonPill

One of the most underrated tracks ever. Did it even chart in the u.s.? Definitely deserving of the number one spot. Let me go listen to it.

IM GIVING IT MY ALL BUT IM NOT THE GIRL YOU TAKING HOME.

giphy.gif

A CLASSIC. I can't believe Robyn is yet to release another album after the amazing Body Talk saga.

I hate what that UK dude did with this flawless song

Cockney Cupcake
21 minutes ago, graham said:

A masterpiece

That tragic and infinitely-more-successful cover destroyed my soul when I heard it constantly last year 

!!!!!!!

I hate that trash so much!