• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kim Kardashian

• holdongomez

• geo

• Fruity

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, geo said:

People become more conservative as they get older. These trends have existed for decades

While this is true - likely because they become increasingly protective of their gradually accumulated wealth - it's worth noting that conservatism generally becomes more centred (socially in particular) as time passes, so we might vote Conservative when we're 50 but that party won't necessarily be as right-wing as it was in our youth, which eases that transition.

It's a curious thing though. I sometimes wonder at what point my Dad (and so many other parents) ditched the more idealistic, power-to-the-people Labour/LibDem mindset of a young person for Conservatives. It's like, at what age do old people suddenly find themselves wearing beige jackets and those leather shoes with tassels on them? Just seems to universally happen and we don't notice them evolving into "Old People".

1 minute ago, geo said:

I think it's just human nature that as you get older, you get more accustomed to and protective of the status quo, and also a bit nostalgic for the way things used to be. Plus you have more money when you're older, so you're more interested in lower taxes which conservative parties offer.

Young people always have a rapid desire for radical change and revolution. It dies out.

Some social issues like equal and civil rights are of course only moving in one direction. But the economic debate and culture war will always stay the same

True about economics.

People are sadly selfish and I don't see that changing all that much.

It's the social aspect which I think will alter the trend.

The right is regressing, it's becoming even less accepting.

I don't see young left-wing people doing that.

i don't entirely believe the whole you get more conservative with age. in my family, my grandparents and my mum have always been conservative, while my dad has always been liberal. and i can't imagine myself ever not being liberal either.

Edited by holdongomez

11 minutes ago, geo said:

People become more conservative as they get older. These trends have existed for decades

Always true, but children and teenagers are growing up in an internationally-minded society with 24/7 access to the internet, especially people living near large cities (a majority of the European and American populations).  Blue collar jobs will be replaced by robotics and AI in the near future, prompting a shift in low income workers being pushed into emerging indistries like solar and wind power, hyrdrogen fuel, AI, and technology in general (all of which are generally more left-leaning and science based).  Also, young populations recognize the threat of climate change as fact, not opinion.  So, it is logical to assume that younger populations might lean more financially conservative as they age, but will still be considered liberal by 2017 standards.  

Edited by Archetype

13 minutes ago, Fruity said:

Exactly. Politics is very generational right now. As the wave of millennials turns 18 and becomes able to vote it's so obvious that the West is heading for a much more liberal future in the next 20 years. We just need to wait for the older generations to die.

Gen Z is conservative. Millennials are liberal as a majority. The generation behind them aren't. Gen Z even believes in traditional gender roles.

Edited by Horizon Flame

5 minutes ago, Kim Kardashian said:

That's not normal.

And it's nothing to brag about.

tEaoq8t.thumb.png.942e48925c42c426ae35c6

Girl, stop. Not everyone has to think like you :doc: 

1 minute ago, holdongomez said:

i don't entirely believe the whole you get more conservative with age. in my family, my grandparents and my mum have always been conservative, while my dad has always been liberal. and i can't imagine myself ever not being liberal either.

It doesn't happen for everyone.

The more switched on you are politically in the first place, the less likely you are to turn Conservative.

My family is quite political and all of them stayed left wing (my grandparents actually became left wing).

Just now, Kim Kardashian said:

The more switched on you are politically in the first place, the less likely you are to turn Conservative.

My family is quite political and all of them stayed left wing (my grandparents actually became left wing).

i would say all of my family is very interested in politics, apart from my mum who is super ignorant :fan:

1 minute ago, Kim Kardashian said:

This isn't true at all. The more switched on I became politically, the less liberal I became :fan:

Just now, Horizon Flame said:

Gen Z is conservative. Millennials are liberal as a majority. The generation behind them aren't.

What makes you think that? :huh: 

29 minutes ago, Samuel said:

She's still gonna win on June 8th so she kinda still wins

5FyPLeA.gif

Right? Cute vid but she's unfortunately gonna behead Labour

5FyPLeA.gif

5 minutes ago, Horizon Flame said:

Gen Z is conservative. Millennials are liberal as a majority. The generation behind them aren't. Gen Z even believes in traditional gender roles.

Where are you getting this info from?  Most of this forum is Gen Z.  I don't even know a single Gen Z person that would be considered even remotely conservative by 2017 standards.  

I also know younger people people who identify as Republicans yet are pro-solar, believe in taking action against climate change and protecting the environment, and would be considered socially liberal.  So, you might want to rethink calling people "conservative", as that means more than just right leaning.

Edited by Archetype

Yes !!!! 

Just now, Buddy said:

This isn't true at all. The more switched on I became politically, the less liberal I became :fan:

It is true mostly.

The 'turn more conservative' trend is just an overall trend.

Chances are if you're actively left wing you won't end up right-wing.

It's more people who aren't as engaged.

Just now, Archetype said:

Where are you getting this info from?  Most of this forum is Gen Z.  I don't even know a single Gen Z person that would be considered even remotely conservative by 2017 standards.  

I think there has been some suggestions of it.

I know a lot of people who would probably vote UKIP (though obviously i'm not pretending that my school represents all of Gen Z :skull:).

1 minute ago, Ryann said:

5FyPLeA.gif

Labour can still pull off a victory if things go right for them on the day

5FyPLeA.gif

I love this! :dies::dies::dies::dies:

tznlaugh2.gif

17 minutes ago, toanythingtaboo said:

This is the problem on social media - it's just an echo chamber of likeminded liberal young people who are surrounded by people and content shared that give the impression that their beliefs are commonly held ones. Which not only gives a false sense of security, it discourages swathes of young people from bothering to vote. Then the election happens and the older generations (largely absent/inactive on social media) turn up to vote, completely outnumbering the seeming majority of liberalism. That then results in further disengagement of young people because their world of liberalism feels so disconnected from the real world, so why would they bother being politically active?

Dodgy. 

This is soosososo true

Even more so for anyone that went to university/higher education.. I feel like I live in a bubble sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Poe Dameron said:

Labour can still pull off a victory if things go right for them on the day

5FyPLeA.gif

Not with Corbyn leading. Even Labour is done with ha

5FyPLeA.gif

I read the title as 'Theresa May dies' :skull:

4 minutes ago, Ryann said:

5FyPLeA.gif

Anything that isn't a crushing defeat for Corbyn is a failure for Theresa

5FyPLeA.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.