Billboard Charts (May 28-June 3, 2017)

iHype.

11 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Well yes, and as soon as I said 20m streams I knew you'd jump on that,  but convert 20m AI to how many ever equivalent streamss, and my point still stands.

20M AI is equal to 3.5M streams on the Hot 100 currently. I don't know what your point is but saying 20M AI is the same as 3.5M streams sounds pretty fair to me.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoMythologies

• simmnfierzig

• slw84

• QueenofCopyPaste

1 minute ago, ChartsFan said:

Then I was saying a song stressed by 3.5m core fans, but nobody is by in it or playing it on he radio, clearly shows the public has no interest.

It's by far the best way we have to measure what the public has interest in. 

And I mean the Billboard 200 has a new #1 basically every week because fans by the new release of their fave, which then drops 70% the following week. That's just the way it is. 

Fans are important and if they listen to a lot of music they should be more important for the Hot 100 or any other chart than people who don't listen to much music. 

Strongly disagree.

a person is a person. All equal.  Nobody should be more important simply because they play the song over and over and over. 

Imguess we we should all quit our jobs so we can stream a song and affect the charts. It seems that is all that counts nowadays.  Guess I'll program some bits, could make some money,

Yeah a person who never listens to music should have the same representation on the chart as a person who listens 3 hours a day to music. Obviously. :ahh::ahh:

And I have no idea where you get that from. People don't continue to listen to a song for 20 or 30 weeks if they don't love that song. Basically nobody just puts a song on repeat to help their fave on the chart. There are like 10 crazy people who do that, but it doesn't have any effect. Do you know how much 1 million is? And streaming services have algorithms to remove streams like that if it does occasionally happen.

99% of America doesn't know and doesn't care what happens on the charts. 

14 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Promo slots go to those that will bring in the viewers.  One would thing if America is so enthralled with rap /hip hop and that everyone listens to it, then it would seem logical that those needing viewers would use the music supposedly everyone is now into.  

I mean during the disco era chart domination,  you couldn't escape disco in every promo type slot that could be found. People listened to it, it was bought, played on radio, sdvertised, promo'd.

that certainly isn't the case with rap / hip hop despite its current chart domination.  Which indicates at least to me, that perhaps the charts really aren't showing what everyone listens to.  If you aren't breaking into mainstream, in promos etc, then you really aren't GP mainstream as the charts used to always represent.

I would spin that the other way and look at how impressive it is that rappers with no label behind them to push them and get them big promo spots are able to get so big. 

It's just a different time. You used to need that and those connections to radio DJs etc. Today you can just put your music on Soundcloud and reach millions of people that way. 

Maybe we should send a survey to every American each week and ask what their favorite x songs are this week. Make the Hot 100 based on those results. That would be fair to everyone :heart2::heart2:

2 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

Maybe we should send a survey to every American each week and ask what their favorite x songs are this week. Make the Hot 100 based on those results. That would be fair to everyone :heart2::heart2:

Yeah, you're right. :heart2::heart2::heart2:

15 minutes ago, simmnfierzig said:

No! Nobody would fill it out and the charts would end up looking like callout scores.

Ya want to talk about an unfair and biased chart, check out pop radio callout scores. The bottom is, literally, almost always a woman or person of color. And the top song is usually just the safest, least theatening song by the highest profile performer.

39 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

Strongly disagree.

a person is a person. All equal.  Nobody should be more important simply because they play the song over and over and over. 

I Guess we should all quit our jobs so we can stream a song and affect the charts. It seems that is all that counts nowadays.  Guess I'll program some bots, could make some money,

LOLLLLL cuz a regular person cares about if a song is #1 on the bb100 they stream it cuz they like it god ur so pressed

13 hours ago, NoMythologies said:

That's just so sad, lol.

I guess we'll just wait for Adele's next album in like 6 years and try to be satisfied with Alesia Cara's radio driven hits.

:ahh: 

Watch, Alessia will be on The Chainsmokers next single and she'll be the only female to hit #1 this year :rip: 

14 minutes ago, Miles. said:

:ahh: 

Watch, Alessia will be on The Chainsmokers next single and she'll be the only female to hit #1 this year :rip: 

Lol, I literally said this to my friend last night.

Watch it happen.

QueenofCopyPaste
10 minutes ago, NoMythologies said:

Lol, I literally said this to my friend last night.

Watch it happen.

Im an Alessia Cara fan so yay for me :-*

11 minutes ago, J-boy said:

Im an Alessia Cara fan so yay for me :-*

I've loved Alessia since I first heard Here 2 years ago. Shes been, literally, the only big breakout female artist of the past couple of years.

And I really think her image has so much to do with that. People I really think, more than ever, have a very narrow idea of what they expect from female pop stars. I love Alessia but she's not 'too' anything, ya know what I mean? She's not too edgy or outspoken or sexualized or even too well known.

Just look at how much hate Ariana got for licking a donut. Or Miley's cultural appropriation video. Taylor's business savvy. It's all perceived as these unforgivable character traits in these women. People seem to be unable to separate the art from the artist with women.

There's literally a video of Justin saying the N word and people will justify it for him. Oh, sure he was a kid, blah blah blah. But do you really think people would forgive Miley or Taylor for that? Or what about Ed's unbelievable arrogance. He can call himself the greatest artist in the world and people are still like 'what a swell guy!' Can you imagine the backlash if someone like Taylor had said some of the things he has?

I'm not saying we should hold all this against these male artists, I just have noticed people have a tendency to be way less forgiving about female artists.

QueenofCopyPaste
7 minutes ago, NoMythologies said:

I've loved Alessia since I first heard Here 2 years ago. Shes been, literally, the only big breakout female artist of the past couple of years.

And I really think her image has so much to do with that. People I really think, more than ever, have a very narrow idea of what they expect from female pop stars. I love Alessia but she's not 'too' anything, ya know what I mean? She's not too edgy or outspoken or sexualized or even too well known.

Just look at how much hate Ariana got for licking a donut. Or Miley's cultural appropriation video. Taylor's business savvy. It's all perceived as these unforgivable character traits in these women. People seem to be unable to separate the art from the artist with women.

There's literally a video of Justin saying the N word and people will justify it for him. Oh, sure he was a kid, blah blah blah. But do you really think people would forgive Miley or Taylor for that? Or what about Ed's unbelievable arrogance. He can call himself the greatest artist in the world and people are still like 'what a swell guy!' Can you imagine the backlash if someone like Taylor had said some of the things he has?

I'm not saying we should hold all this against these male artists, I just have noticed people have a tendency to be way less forgiving about female artists.

And this works for her "mysteriousness". Her personality is a  more authentic perceived artist than cliched popgirls nowadays

Just now, J-boy said:

And this works for her "mysteriousness". Her personality is a  more authentic perceived artist than cliched popgirls nowadays

Yup. And that's partly why I think Sia was able to smash last year as well.

5 hours ago, Planet Mars said:

When did I mention race? I said 'Hip-hop' :skull:

It's what it's always been a GENDER thing, I know you guys hate Ed Sheeran and JB too. You all just hate MEN on the charts. 

I know. People say things to imply and hip hop really isn't dominating enough to make that point.

that said, I love that the males are dominating. Women have had it too good for too long serving mess and noise and I hope this forces the ladies to step their game up to get back on top.

For now, Ed, Bruno, Bieber better slay the charts

tumblr_nptonwpGMW1qdcxoeo1_500.gif

5 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

That's not really saving the females.  Having one or two outliers certainly doesn't indicate anything.  It'll give those that want a woman to have a number one song, their number one, but it's not so,en thriving in general on the charts.

True but they have to start somewhere...

tumblr_nptonwpGMW1qdcxoeo1_500.gif

42 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

A play listen or stream, is a play listen or stream.  It should all count equally, and repetitive use should not count more just because someone wants to inflate their fave by doing so.

stresming should work the same as sales and Airplay. One stream per week counts per IP address.

the mixing of apples and oranges, or in this case two metrics with individual counts, and one with multiple counts is an unbalanced unfair system.

if you hear a song fifty times I stream this week, while I hear it fifty times on the radio, or from my purchase as I go for a run, why does your streams count as fifty and mine as one. Simply because the tech is there for streams to be counted and the others not, isn't fair, nor representative fairly of what people are listening to.

No an active action to play a song on a streaming service is completely different than a passive listeting off a song on the radio. Stream rightfully counts more. 

Airplay doesn't do individual counts either... The 200M AI for That's What I Like are obviously not 200M individual people. And in 99.9% of the time an repetitive use doesn't mean that person wants to help their fave. It just means that they really like that song. And for the 500th time streaming services have algorithms to filter out streams if you just have 1 song on repeat 24/7 and most just have a limit how many streams count per IP adress. 

Yes I said before, it's really unfortunate that we can't track how many times a person listens to a song after they have bought it. That sucks. Doesn't mean we shouldn't track streams as accurate as we can, because it is in fact representative of what people listen to. 

And in my estimate of the formula 1 downloaod of a song counts the same as 213 streams. And you can download a song multiple times on different platforms if you want to "support your fave" or a lot of songs have remixes that you can buy individually and all count as 1 download. That conspiricy theory isn't just limited to streaming. It's actually a lot easier to do with downloads. 

Edited by simmnfierzig

So what you are effectively saying is, "get with the times of the young folk and stream, the or too bad too sad, you lose,"

the tedh is there to make streaming balanced with those metrics that currently can't be monitored. It should be done as balanced until such time as counts for plauw and listens can be individually counted.

the fact that people can't see how that unbalance of how people decide to listen to music affects the charts astounds me. It's really more the fact people deny it boosts certain genres and age groups that drives me crazy, than the fact it's happening.

I'm not sure how you "lose", but no I'm not saying that. You can still listen to the radio or download songs. 1 download has more impact than ever on the Hot 100 right now, because sales are so dead and Billboard does everything they can to keep them relevant. 

Obviously there are a lot more people in 2017 that stream singles than buy singles, so streaming overall has more say. Understandably so. 

I have no idea what you mean when you say "make streaming balanced with the other metrics". 

If you can't individually count bought plays, then balance streaming by counting one listen per IP per week.

it gives a much more accurate look at the actual number of people that consume a specific song within a week.

No it doesn't. Your suggestion doesn't show which songs are more popular.

Edited by B-Rabbit

17 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

If you can't individually count bought plays, then balance streaming by counting one listen per IP per week.

it gives a much more accurate look at the actual number of people that consume a specific song within a week.

So you want to do the same thing for radio? (Don't think that would be possible)

And you want to count 1 download the same as 1 stream in the Hot 100 formula?

Edit: If you do that I guarantee you that Urban would be dominating way more than now even. 

Edited by simmnfierzig

5 minutes ago, ChartsFan said:

This is not the right way to solve the problem you are referring to. The right way is to make many streams equivalent to one sale, which Billboard does. (I forget the specific number. Is it 1500 streams = 1 sale? correct me if I'm wrong please!)

1 minute ago, novembers17th said:

This is not the right way to solve the problem you are referring to. The right way is to make many streams equivalent to one sale, which Billboard does. (I forget the specific number. Is it 1500 streams = 1 sale? correct me if I'm wrong please!)

That's for the Billboard 200. 

As I said a couple posts up it's 213 streams = 1 download in my Hot 100 estimate. 

Just now, simmnfierzig said:

That's for the Billboard 200. 

As I said a couple posts up it's 213 streams = 1 download in my Hot 100 estimate. 

Yeah ok that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction. Point still stands.

8 hours ago, ChartsFan said:

Well yes, and as soon as I said 20m streams I knew you'd jump on that,  but convert 20m AI to how many ever equivalent streamss, and my point still stands.

70 and 65 percent.  That's not that great. Sorry but 2/3rds suck as a goal.

besdoes singling out and using top 20 is a biased selection.

Come back when lil uzi vert, or the next top ten streaming rap new artist lands good morning America or the super bowl half time show as the lead performer, then I'll buy the argument rap is what the average American listens to.

until then I'll live in the real world where it is not what everyone is listening to.

Just because you like a song doesn't mean that person would be a good SB performer

And the only reason why rappers won't get called for the spot is because conservative parents would be appalled at the language even though their high school child is sniffing coke and drinking beer while listening to those songs anyways

That has more to do with image than the music and you know that...Good Morning AMERICA isn't all of America either so your argument is still flawed