Billboard: The industry is in need of a "big, new Christmas album"

Feanor

maxresdefault.jpg

But while music wholesalers concede that the genre is not having the greatest holiday season in terms of sales, they counter there’s another reason this year’s numbers are sluggish. They argue 2022 is missing a key ingredient that in the past has proved to be a big catalyst for the overall genre during the holidays: a big, new Christmas album that drives traffic and fuels sales across the entire genre.

“While a lot of the new albums are doing fine and have done a decent volume, not one of them has been a breakaway hit,” says Alliance Entertainment senior vp of purchasing and marketing Laura Provenzano.

In years past, big holiday music albums came from the likes of Josh Groban and his Noel album, which scanned 3.7 million album copies in its debut year of 2007 and now totals 6.32 million album consumption units in the U.S.; Michael Buble‘s Christmas, which scanned 2.45 million copies in its release year of 2011 and a total of 4.5 million album consumption units to date; or, going back further, Kenny G‘s Miracle, the Holiday Album, which scanned nearly 3 million copies in its 1994 debut. Those albums really stoked the genre’s sales numbers in the years they were released.

If only, music merchandisers lament, there was that one big [Christmas] album emerging from the pack. 

Billboard

While Christmas music is seemingly becoming more and more popular and profitable with every passing year, there has been a noticeable lack of big Christmas albums by newer acts à la Buble's 'Christmas' or Groban's 'Noel' in recent years.

Who do you think could and is also most likely to actually swoop in and release that "big, new Christmas" album the industry is craving for?

michael-jackson-reading.gif

Edited by Feanor

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ConceptD

• OnMyCoolJ

• selena_lavigne

• GraceRandolph

Christmas music tends to grow bigger over time, Santa Tell Me is as close to a "out of the gates" hit we're gonna get.

We have enough thank you. Why do we need another artist rehashing the same old Christmas songs( just with their voice) with one or two new ones that have 1 in 800 million chance of it becoming a classic hit?

Arguably the last major new one was Santa Tell Me and that took YEARS to get popular. The last actual hit was Underneath the Tree and that's almost a decade old.

So NOOOO.

Adele should do it. Could see it working for her over time.

Christmas albums are dated - and have always been cash grabs. It’s incredibly hard to breakthrough unless you’re the icon of the moment. 

If Adele did a Christmas album, it would be huge. I feel like Lana could do a Christmas album justice, ala her cover of Blue Velvet

55 minutes ago, Totami Legend said:

ava this is your moment! :gaycat1:

yess please

No…

if anything someone needs to make a Thanksgiving song and become the Mariah Carey of thanksgiving.

Halloween Music >>>

The market is saturated and most Christmas music that is released is just cringe, but I really feel like someone like Lana could do a very dark, melancholy Christmas album for all the little humbugs like me out there. She sounded beautiful on the performance she did with kacey a few years ago. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.