CD only cover

Other covers:

product_1035038.jpg

CD + Bluray cover   /    CD + DVD cover

product_1035036.jpg

CD + 2 Bluray (or DVD) + Photobook cover

32dbfb4b05377d0d4cb00c6cefed41499132f125_63a525e1b520f.jpg

18th studio album

Her comeback album and her first in 7 years after releasing albums yearly and even twice a year.

Tracklist:

01. Nonfiction
02. (NOT) Remember you
03. Dreamed a Dream
04. 23rd Monster
05. Summer Again
06. ray of truth
07. Remember you
08. オヒアの木
09. 春よ、来い
10. taskinson
11. MASK
12. VIBEES
13. Nonfiction (Yohanne Simon remix)
14. Just the way you are

In purple = singles/previously released.

Singles MV:

I was excited for this album as it's her first in 7 years, but I'm not a fan of the singles, she hasn't done anything new not have stand out in the last 10-12 years.

My favorite single is the first one: Ohia no Ki.

And it's kind of a bummer that there's only 6 new tracks (not counting the remix which is weirdly placed). And taskinson is definitely an interlude, so that makes it only 5 new real songs, unless there's another interlude, that will make it just 4 brand new songs. BUMMER.

But I'm optimistic, even in her worst albums there are at least 3 songs I really like.

8 minutes ago, Roger said:

I was excited for this album as it's her first in 7 years, but I'm not a fan of the singles, she hasn't done anything new not have stand out in the last 10-12 years.

My favorite single is the first one: Ohia no Ki.

And it's kind of a bummer that there's only 6 new tracks (not counting the remix which is weirdly placed). And taskinson is definitely an interlude, so that makes it only 5 new real songs, unless there's another interlude, that will make it just 4 brand new songs. BUMMER.

But I'm optimistic, even in her worst albums there are at least 3 songs I really like.

Musically, it seems to be one of her weakest projects so far. The Queen needs a reinvention

On 12/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, Eternium said:

Musically, it seems to be one of her weakest projects so far. The Queen needs a reinvention

She needs to learn from Hikki and start to be more hands on in the production, I miss her CREA days. 

1 hour ago, Roger said:

She needs to learn from Hikki and start to be more hands on in the production, I miss her CREA days. 

I think she recently alluded to the production of this album being really difficult and having to redo all of the songs. With her issues with her hearing and health scares recently etc. I think producing brand new songs is hard for her. I imagine she's able to perform her catalog based on muscle memory but laying down new tracks must require a lot of effort.

Things were going rather smoothly until the Mask, but a few days ago I was at a complete standstill. I decided to redo all the songs I had been working on, but something was not right. I know why, but I can't find a way out and I can't get out. I've been in pain and hate meeting people for the past few days. I don't want people to see how weak and insecure I am. I have to do something about it little by little, and I feel like I'm creeping forward little by little, telling myself that it won't start if I say I don't like it.

(....)

But to be honest, I can't say that production is going smoothly. I can't keep dragging my broken heart around day in and day out, so I just have to get on with my life, but with a wound so fresh, the ups and downs are still so intense that it's hard to just snap out of it and move on as if I've forgotten everything. But tomorrow is another photo shoot. I have to do what I have to do, I know. I'm going to do it. I'm going to do my best. I'm going to concentrate all my energy on tomorrow's shooting so that I can get good results.

ayu

translation credit: Aderianu

1 hour ago, Kyle-x said:

I think she recently alluded to the production of this album being really difficult and having to redo all of the songs. With her issues with her hearing and health scares recently etc. I think producing brand new songs is hard for her. I imagine she's able to perform her catalog based on muscle memory but laying down new tracks must require a lot of effort.

Thank you for sharing that, it really breaks my heart to know how she feels and going through. 

I tend to **** all over her recent work as I'm so in love with her 1999-2005 stuff but it's more than clear that she can't reach the same highs as she is stuck with depending on the same trusted and rusted producers because she has a lot of hearing and health issues... And now with two kids. 

I could never get past her grating voice but I must admit she has some nice album covers and titles, this is one of them :clap3:

On 12/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, Take Me Apart said:

I could never get past her grating voice but I must admit she has some nice album covers and titles, this is one of them :clap3:

My boyfriend always makes fun of her voice lol

2 hours ago, GodControl said:

The singles for this album have been incredible,  I'm super excited. 

The album covers are gorgeous, nice throwback to Secret (but less sparkly, more "classy").

I love the covers too!

• 2 weeks later...

Yay excited !!! Been loving Mask recently 

tbh I became an Ayumi stan quite recently so this will my first album in real time 

My Story is currently my fave album at the moment but Ofcourse LOVEppears and Duty are unmatched 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, getinthezone said:

the album sounds so dated :chick3:

The only songs I really use from this is nonfiction and mask which are bops but yea…..it sounds like she stuck in 2013 

It’s better than GUILTY at least :skull:

2 hours ago, 4Walls said:

The only songs I really use from this is nonfiction and mask which are bops but yea…..it sounds like she stuck in 2013 

GUILTY sis... 

On 1/7/2023 at 4:58 PM, 4Walls said:

Yay excited !!! Been loving Mask recently 

tbh I became an Ayumi stan quite recently so this will my first album in real time 

My Story is currently my fave album at the moment but Ofcourse LOVEppears and Duty are unmatched 

Her albums between LOVEppears and Guilty are classics. Such great albums with just a few bad tracks. 

Between NEXT LEVEL and Love songs there are half great songs and half bad songs. 

After Party queen ugh... That's when the bad songs start to conquer the album tracklist only leaving around 3 good songs per album. 

I'm super happy you are a new fan and enjoying those classic gems, the best of JPop without a doubt (along with Hikki). 

6 hours ago, getinthezone said:

the album sounds so dated :chick3:

Awfully dated, but that's part of the charm for many Japanese fans. 

I really don't like this "throwback sound", it sounds dated but there are no bops. 

And her singing is awful now but I guess she cant help it with her deafness. I wish she could sing less pitchy and be softer, because she sounds still great in her Ballads.

3 hours ago, 4Walls said:

Not Guilty sis 😢 that's maybe her last great classic album. 

NEXT LEVEL is good because is her first experiment with different sounds that were new back then but sadly people didn't like the heavy synths. Then she decided to stick to a safe sound and that's why she didn't evolve into a better artist. 

She got stuck into her safe zone. 

1 hour ago, getinthezone said:

GUILTY sis... 

So many great songs there. 

Ugh that opening track is Huge and glorious, way better than the full song. 

Mirror > Mirrocle World. 

And Fated is a classic ♥ 

I'm impressed this album is doing pretty good. There's still people who love Ayu's dated sound and post Love songs granting voice. 

I guess I’ll listen to GUILTY again yall lmao

I did like NEXT LEVEL better tho

1 hour ago, 4Walls said:

I guess I’ll listen to GUILTY again yall lmao

I did like NEXT LEVEL better tho

IMO Guilty aged better than Next Level. 

But truth be told: both GUILTY and NEXT LEVEL have amazing intro songs. 

On 2/3/2023 at 11:47 PM, Roger said:

IMO Guilty aged better than Next Level. 

But truth be told: both GUILTY and NEXT LEVEL have amazing intro songs. 

ok went for a long ass walk today and listened to both these albums again AND

im sorry but I CANNOT get over how bad the production is on GUILTY........like it sounds it was produced in a trash can :rip: even the songs themselves just do not stick for me. Next Level sounds FRESH and honestly the songs are catchier/funner/clearer and sonically just better.  Like tbh I don't get the hate for that album like at all. Some of her best interludes/bangers and even has one of her best ballads (curtain call) :duck: some songs are a lil goofy but idk there's charm to it. 

31 minutes ago, 4Walls said:

ok went for a long ass walk today and listened to both these albums again AND

im sorry but I CANNOT get over how bad the production is on GUILTY........like it sounds it was produced in a trash can :rip: even the songs themselves just do not stick for me. Next Level sounds FRESH and honestly the songs are catchier/funner/clearer and sonically just better.  Like tbh I don't get the hate for that album like at all. Some of her best interludes/bangers and even has one of her best ballads (curtain call) :duck: some songs are a lil goofy but idk there's charm to it. 

I understand where you are coming from regarding the sound of GUILTY. The best example is how awful the mixing and mastering is in certain songs like in the title track. 

And yes production wise NEXT LEVEL is next level (pun intended) compared to both GUILTY and Secret. She released her most innovative and experimental album to date and people didn't like how different it was to the pop rock sound she had in the last albums, that's why she named Rock n Roll Circus her next one because she wanted to let everyone know that rock Ayu was back... the second time she decided to do something similar was with half of Party queen and then completely with Colours and the sound was dated af and very less inspired both in lyrics and themes. 

That's why I consider NEXT LEVEL her last good album. 

queen Ayu is literally the queen of my nostalgic depression phase. I always get brought back to my childhood and Inuyasha's impact on my life...love her so friggin much.

Listened the album and im very satisfied. I expected tons of ballads but i loved the strong rock-edm vibe. The Interludes are lovely
The lyrics are deeper this time and u can see her maturity.
(Not) Remember You is 10/10. Ayu is really the best when she goes full Rockhead. 
The electropop-house songs are very solid and not as generic as some past tracks. Strong melodies 
This will be probably her last album or it will take some time to have another but this one feels like a good closure to the 2010s
She's hinting some special announcement in some months? Someone here is suspicious like me? what is Ayu hinting

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.