Mr. Blue_Shirt's Best of 2022 | FINAL TOP 5: AOTY + SOTY REVEALED!

Mr. Blue_Shirt

Black Summer + Happier Than Ever + Glimpse Of Us :party:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Blue_Shirt

• Alldeezy

• Legend E

• TheWayWeWere

Break My Soul, 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready), Escapism., Cardboard Box, Happier Than Ever, Glimpse of Us, Her, No Love :clap:

• ATRL Moderator

It's true, it's rue. Those nerds at RateYourMusic said so :oh:

ah yes! the universal indicator of quality music!

BMS, 2 Be Loved and MOTHER KELLY EATING :jonny5: 

Invu + black summer + black Mascara + Escapism :worship:

BREAK MY SOUL is great :katie2: Maybe a little basic at first but that changed quickly. 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready) ayyy :party: Best song on Special, such an addicting earworm. Foundations of Decay was decent, although I didn't listen to it much since I knew it was a random droplet. Not really in love with Black Mascara. or Escapism., my hype for the album went down after both honestly. :shutup: Kelly killed Happier Than Ever :smitten::clap3: Cardboard Box :sats::sats: A major 2022 highlight, along with the rest of the EP!

edit: oops almost missed albums~

Special is a step down from CIYL but still plenty of fun. Same for Tove Lo :jamming: Just wish the slower songs were better. The Lead :beatfreak: An incredible introduction. Your trinities for all 3 are on point, too!

Great sets

I liked Cardi's singing this time lmao

Break My Soul, HER - black queens taking back dance :clap3:

SAOKO is great i just neglected it for others

2 Be Loved, Where you are (you aint lie about WILLOW), Black Summer, Glimpse,  Secret (glad to see its on multiple lists), Black Mascara, Fossora, Xtasy, Cardboard Box, Escapism (will be charting on my 2023 at this rate) - all also great

Flo's ep is really low here but happy to see the single top 25! Also glad to finally see Raye getting her 10's! Her past EPs are amaing, can't wait to see her live in March!

Well this is another big update

Just like before, today is the albums list and tommorow will be the singles list

I'm going to wrap it up into the final top 5 before January 15th

Thank you for visiting and all of your comments :heart:

Spoiler
On 1/8/2023 at 11:08 PM, worldwide angel said:

fossora’s title track is one of bjork’s best! FOOOOOOOOOSSOOOOOOOORA :alexz:

cardboard classic and escap#1sm :jonny6:

there’s zero duds on here 

The way i'm obsessed with Fossora (title track) it's like i'm imagining myself dancing at the club in medieval era :hawkeye:

On 1/9/2023 at 1:48 AM, JGibson said:

Black Summer + Happier Than Ever + Glimpse Of Us :party:

On 1/9/2023 at 2:10 AM, Green said:

Break My Soul, 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready), Escapism., Cardboard Box, Happier Than Ever, Glimpse of Us, Her, No Love :clap:

On 1/9/2023 at 5:19 AM, rvx said:

Glimpse of Us + Am I Ready (2 Be Loved) + Break My Soul :jamming:

On 1/9/2023 at 8:29 AM, Allday said:

Invu + black summer + black Mascara + Escapism :worship:

On 1/9/2023 at 4:52 PM, Brandon said:

Break My Soul &  2 Be Loved :katie2:

TASTE TASTE :wanda:

On 1/9/2023 at 4:59 AM, Legend E said:

ah yes! the universal indicator of quality music!

BMS, 2 Be Loved and MOTHER KELLY EATING :jonny5: 

RYM is in their poptimism era so i'll give them a bit some slack :gaydonnacat1:

Kelly better BRING IT for her next album. No more soccer mom anthem for a while and give us that the mature "Breakaway" era bops:jonny5:

On 1/9/2023 at 11:53 AM, Remmy said:

BREAK MY SOUL is great :katie2: Maybe a little basic at first but that changed quickly. 2 Be Loved (Am I Ready) ayyy :party: Best song on Special, such an addicting earworm. Foundations of Decay was decent, although I didn't listen to it much since I knew it was a random droplet. Not really in love with Black Mascara. or Escapism., my hype for the album went down after both honestly. :shutup: Kelly killed Happier Than Ever :smitten::clap3: Cardboard Box :sats::sats: A major 2022 highlight, along with the rest of the EP!

edit: oops almost missed albums~

Special is a step down from CIYL but still plenty of fun. Same for Tove Lo :jamming: Just wish the slower songs were better. The Lead :beatfreak: An incredible introduction. Your trinities for all 3 are on point, too!

Yeah BMS is really safe dance pop song but i'm kinda glad she's going for safer choice for lead single for the sake of GP taste :jonny5:

I agree with the slower songs on DIrt Femme because all the upbeat songs sounds incredible but there's something about her doing ballad type of songs that would kinda meh for me nnn

On 1/9/2023 at 3:14 PM, MP2K said:

Great sets

I liked Cardi's singing this time lmao

Break My Soul, HER - black queens taking back dance :clap3:

SAOKO is great i just neglected it for others

2 Be Loved, Where you are (you aint lie about WILLOW), Black Summer, Glimpse,  Secret (glad to see its on multiple lists), Black Mascara, Fossora, Xtasy, Cardboard Box, Escapism (will be charting on my 2023 at this rate) - all also great

SCREAM Cardi's verse is growing on me. At least her rap verse is actually really good to elevate the song but her singing sometimes kinda threw me off like woah :deadbanana4:

On 1/10/2023 at 3:49 AM, KasioKas said:

Flo's ep is really low here but happy to see the single top 25! Also glad to finally see Raye getting her 10's! Her past EPs are amaing, can't wait to see her live in March!

Flo's upcoming debut album is soo going to be in my top ten list in 2023 :jonny2:

Yeah RAYE's work in Polydor are all soo good but wow imagine if her independent works created songs like Black Mascara or Escapism, imagine if big label with great budget would sounds even better than ever :jonny2: RAYE is the next MPG for sure!

i4YOH9B.png

9DRvGEL.png

20. Laurel Hell - Mitski

ab67616d0000b273d8041a531487d0e0e4cfb41f

(February 4, 2022)

Mitski promised some fun dance music and she delivered one of the most enjoyable set of pop songs I've heard in 2022. I can understand why a lot of people dislike it as it is such a departure from her other work but I see it as a welcomed change.

Top 3: Should've Been Me, Love Me More & Stay Soft

SPOTIFY

19. Un Verano Sin Ti - Bad Bunny

ab67616d0000b27349d694203245f241a1bcaa72

(May 6, 2022)

He returns to his roots and delivers typical Puerto Rican type trumpets and guitar with a variety of different sounds on this record. This album full of so many memorable and catchy songs with an amazing cast of guest artists. Despite the album being 23 tracks long, I don't feel bored while listening to it ever because the tracks sound so different from one another.

Top 3: El Apagón, Tití Me Preguntó & Efecto

SPOTIFY

18. Reason to Smile - Kojey Radical

ab67616d0000b273c57984f55981860b64a14545

(March 4, 2022)

Kojey Radical is one of the most fun performers right now and this album is thoughtful, anguished and delicate as a whole. This record exudes authenticity, with the presence of his mother’s voice carefully sampled throughout to great effect. It's truly a victory lap for him

Top 3: War Outside (fear. Lex Amor), Pressure (feat. Shaé Universe) & Pusher Man: BWI

SPOTIFY

17. It's Almost Dry - Pusha T

ab67616d0000b273e27dfef438562f2ecb98a642

(April 22, 2022)

This album is a pretty solid follow-up to his most acclaimed solo album yet, "DAYTONA". It starts with pretty strong opening and is overall very consistent, if maybe a bit unspectacular. The features are all solid and Pusha T's delivery is excellent as well

Top 3: Brambleton, Diet Coke & Call My Bluff

SPOTIFY

16. Anaïs Mitchell (Deluxe) - Anaïs Mitchell

ab67616d0000b27392a81ad3b46d7f6f8527e0a2

(January 29, 2022)

I was not super familiar with Anaïs Mitchell's discography but this album really hones in on Joni Mitchell influenced sound and creates a very subtle and beautiful folk album. Overall it's a pleasant listen. While a more mature sound, this record has got hints of the modern indie folk that spread to the mainstream recently.

Top 3: Bright Star, On Your Way (Felix Song) &  Morning Glory - Bonus Track

SPOTIFY

i4YOH9B.png

XB91iRL.png

15. The Loneliest Time - Carly Rae Jepsen

ab67616d0000b273820e6b8b6fe77bd0e455eb15

(October 21, 2022)

Another fantastic pop album THE queen of pop :clap3:

"The Loneliest Time" feels the closest to home for Carly, in a pretty significant escape from her usual soundscape. This record has some epic synths that sound straight out of her discography, but this one is a lot groovier and features more guitar and piano pieces than what I remember there being in her other projects. Carly is truly in her element on this album and manages to break new ground in style and approach all while sticking to a mostly consistent rhythm and sound that diversifies her discography.

Top 3: Western Wind, The Loneliest Time (feat. Rufus Wainwright) & Surrender My Heart

SPOTIFY

14. age/sex/location - Ari Lennox

ab67616d0000b273ad2581186f60e949860d0d84

(September 9, 2022)

The production, the mix and mastering in this album are all well done + Ari Lennox's voice is so dynamic and expressive that the music on this record built around her and not the other way around. While perhaps not innovating or pushing the genre necessarily forward but this album especially was incredibly well crafted and it’s really satisfying to see her growth from one album to another.

Top 3: Pressure, Boy Bye (feat. Lucky Daye) & Mean Mug

SPOTIFY

13. Preacher's Daughter - Ethel Cain

ab67616d0000b273ccd1887cc78b0bd55f54bbe1

(May 12, 2022)

The album is written perfectly, has perfect visuals, a perfect concept and story, fantastic vocals, and almost perfect production. Some of the songs might are a lil too slow for me but they're not bad. Truly a fantasntic debut album from her :clap3:

Top 3: Gibson Girl, Western Nights & Ptolemaea

SPOTIFY

12. A Light for Attracting Attention - The Smile

ab67616d0000b273423ac018d0ec2301e40948a0

(May 13, 2022)

Although it's consisting of various influences between jazz, rock, and electronica, this album is practically Radiohead's new album. This band (aka Radiohead's subunit in Kpop term) created one of the best alternative albums to come out in 2022 for sure. It’s pretty well-produced and it seems that they put a lot of effort into making these songs as seamless and as good as they can be.

Top 3: The Same, Free In The Knowledge & Pana-vision

SPOTIFY

11. Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers - Kendrick Lamar

ab67616d0000b2732e02117d76426a08ac7c174f

(May 13, 2022)

This record is ambitious. Being a Double LP and being his music release after 5 years, This album is like listening to a musical therapy session in the nearly best way possible. It is so amazing. From the emotion filled “Mother I Sober” to posiblly the best opening to song in 2022 "United In Grief", it really has everything. It may not be Kendrick’s best work, but it’s certainly close.

Top 3: Purple Hearts (with Summer Walker & Ghostface Killah), The Heart Part 5 * United in Grief

SPOTIFY

i4YOH9B.png

uAAx23s.png

10. YOUNG-LUV.COM - STAYC

ab67616d0000b2738ea860a3e6904b875629d672

(February 21, 2022)

A lot of times Kpop albums is just a vehicle to release the title track, with the b-sides are relatively disposable, but i didn’t even realize how perfect the order of the songs in this mini album is. Every songs feel completely like a STAYC song, even when they venture into different musical territory, there's still a signature somewhere on the track that ties it back to them. A very solid effort by STAYC and one to secure them as a top musical force in 4th gen Kpop groups.

Top 3: RUN2U, SAME SAME & YOUNG LUV

SPOTIFY

9. King's Disease III - Nas

ab67616d0000b27304072ea3871d4fea30e1f2c8

(November 11, 2022)

This album is an instant classic. Nas' delivery sounds as sharp as ever on this record and Hit-Boy production is soo good from front to back. Super enjoyable album and definitely deserves on landing in my top 10 album of the year

Top 3: Reminisce, First Time & Legit

SPOTIFY

8. Dawn FM (Alternate World) - The Weeknd

ab67616d0000b273baae906c39533f95acb87d47

(January 7, 2022)

This is perhaps, Abel's most immaculate record from a production standpoint, to date. He's not only doubled down on the new array of colours he discovered on "After Hours" but builds upon the foundation that he already made for himself to rediscover new shades and paint a whole new creation.

Top 3: Out Of Time, Gasoline & Less Than Zero

SPOTIFY

7. HYPNOS - Ravyn Lenae

ab67616d0000b273a2a1ffef42c5c2ba1eb8c9a5

(May 20, 2022)

Ravyn carrying the sound of R&B and soul, both new and old for one of the most soothing and beautiful lalbum in 2022. so many catchy hooks and instrumentals which Ravyn's voice goes so well with. There's nothing holding "HYPNOS" back from being an impressive debut album from an artist that seemingly shows more promise with each release.

Top 3: Skin Tight (feat. Steve Lacy), Where I'm From (feat. Mereba) & Xtasy

SPOTIFY

6. MOTOMAMI + - ROSALÍA

ab67616d0000b273efc0ef9dd996312ebaf0bf52

(September 9, 2022)

Rosalía, once again, made a masterpiece of a record, and perhaps her best work to date. It's an infectious blend of flamenco, reggaeton, electronic, and pop. Even though a couple of songs didn't impress as much as the others and the bonus tracks on the deluxe version ultimately offers some listenable scraps, the majority of this project was actually mind-blowing like, nearly every moment hits just as planned, making for one of the most insanely entertaining listens of the year.

Top 3: HENTAI, CUUUUuuuuuute & DESPECHÁ

SPOTIFY

youngluv.com, motomami and hypnos :katie2:

• ATRL Moderator

RYM is in their poptimism era so i'll give them a bit some slack :gaydonnacat1:

RYM is yet to give Kelly its flowers. Heartbeat Song needs to be bolded :thing: 

Laurel Hell is great, probably my favourite album of hers :clap3:  The Loneliest Time is great and it's also growing on me! Preacher's Daughter + Dawn FM :clap3: 

The Loneliest Time is another slay for Carly :clap3::clap3: Which is great because the 2 pre-singles had me nervous (WW is my least favorite from the album, Beach House needed a lot of time to grow.) Dawn FM :smitten: He snapped, especially with the whole radio concept. Such a cool experience from start to finish. Both trinities are solid... well except for Western Wind. :keir: I still think it's cute though.

On 1/12/2023 at 6:10 AM, worldwide angel said:

youngluv.com, motomami and hypnos :katie2:

Pretty girls sitting in the same table :jonnycat:

23 hours ago, Legend E said:

RYM is yet to give Kelly its flowers. Heartbeat Song needs to be bolded :thing: 

Laurel Hell is great, probably my favourite album of hers :clap3:  The Loneliest Time is great and it's also growing on me! Preacher's Daughter + Dawn FM :clap3: 

Oop spill! :gaycat5:

The way i thought Laurel Hell was going to be a dissapointment after the reception back then but wow what a moment :jonnycat: This album specifically tailored for the gays!

19 hours ago, Remmy said:

The Loneliest Time is another slay for Carly :clap3::clap3: Which is great because the 2 pre-singles had me nervous (WW is my least favorite from the album, Beach House needed a lot of time to grow.) Dawn FM :smitten: He snapped, especially with the whole radio concept. Such a cool experience from start to finish. Both trinities are solid... well except for Western Wind. :keir: I still think it's cute though.

Yeah i had the same feeling when Carly released Beach House like, i thought it was over and the album is going to be underwhelming but NO :jonny:

I feel like Dawn FM probably one of the best concept album in a while. The way he actually make the whole album sounds like an actual radio is honestly so cool. He took the GTA 5 radio to the next level :jonny:

f915e8U.png

9DRvGEL.png

20. ur a <stranger> - WILLOW

ab67616d0000b2731d13addda541bcf23ea27e0d

(October 7, 2022)

from the album <COPINGMECHANISM>

This is one of the few examples of nepo babies take advantage of the opportunities and make something great out of it :clap3:

SPOTIFY

19. because i liked a boy - Sabrina Carpenter

ab67616d0000b273700f7bf79c9f063ad0362bdf

(July 15, 2022)

from the album emails i can't send

The way she dragged twitter stans into the pits with this one :jonny:

If Sabrina could wait for a bit during Olivia Rodrigo & Joshua Bassett drama and release this as the response instead of "Skin", it 100% would be her first genuine hit

SPOTIFY

18. El Apagón - Bad Bunny

ab67616d0000b27349d694203245f241a1bcaa72

(September 16, 2022)

from the album Un Verano Sin Ti

The way this song's building up in the beginning into EDM breakdown and then turn into a cooling down session of house music with Gabriela Berlingeri's singing in the end??? this song is literally PERFECT like- :jonny:

SPOTIFY

17. DESPECHA - ROSALÌA

ab67616d0000b2738f072024e0358fc5c62eba41

(July 28, 2022)

from the album MOTOMAMI+

Rosalía was in her silly goofy mood by releasing one of my favorite summer anthem in 2022. The song is just soo fun and vibrant for the summer

SPOTIFY

16. Hurts To Love - Beach House

ab67616d0000b27326c4ed2f1ec621d812a9da8f

(February 14, 2022)

from the album Once Twice Melody

I don't care if people don't like this song but there's something so special about this chorus that make me feels so nostalgic for some reason :gaycat6:

SPOTIFY

f915e8U.png

XB91iRL.png

15. The Loneliest Time (feat. Rufus Wainwright) - Carly Rae Jepsen

ab67616d0000b273ec0a6fa2cffaa02a25c1edad

(October 7, 2022)

from the album The Loneliest Time

I still remember when this song went viral on TikTok because of the bridge, people made videos about how the full song doesn't sounds like the bridge at all like- I'm sorry if you never heard EXCELLENCE when you hear one :priceless:

SPOTIFY

14. Gibson Girl - Ethel Cain

ab67616d0000b27375ac1eab3bf368ec2a708eea

(March 17, 2022)

from the album Preacher's Daughter

There's something about Ethel singing the line "You wanna f*ck me right now?!" give me some type of way :gaycat6:

This song is also perfect for movie's montage of stripper dancing on the pool. I can see the vision

SPOTIFY

13. tears in the club (feat. the weeknd) - FKA twigs

ab67616d0000b273424d221332ef56d9b216acca

(December 16, 2021)

from the mixtape CAPRISONGS

This is the type of "sellout" songs that deserves the success but sadly it didn't happen. It also proves that Twigs can do full out mainstream if she wants to play the game.

Also the fact that this song was released the day before Aaliyah's shamless cashcow "new" song that also featured The Weeknd is so crazy to me :deadbanana4:

SPOTIFY

12. As It Was - Harry Styles

ab67616d0000b273b46f74097655d7f353caab14

(March 31, 2022)

from the album Harry's House

This is a perfect example of an artist that created a perfect song for a lead single but they don't know what to do with the rest of the album and they just wing it :priceless:

SPOTIFY

11. That's Where I Am - Maggie Rogers

ab67616d0000b27313b17019f8c2f84711dd558a

(April 8, 2022)

from the album Surrender

When the voice glitch intro start to play, i know something just shifting :jonny:

SPOTIFY

f915e8U.png

uAAx23s.png

10. Not My Job - FLO

ab67616d0000b273095078007ba41796b564532d

(September 24, 2022)

from the EP The Lead

First of all, It's not FLO's job to make you feel comfortable and to make you feel like the man like- :priceless:

SPOTIFY

9. My Horror - Santigold

ab67616d0000b2739127ffbc9ccd2a43946bdbda

(November 18, 2022)

from the album Spirituals

The production, the arrangement, the vocals and the hooks blends together and created one of the finest song of 2022

SPOTIFY

8. Out of Time - The Weeknd

ab67616d00001e02c34dffa3ee633fa3915c6806

(January 25, 2022)

from the album Dawn FM

The way Abel set the bar so high for male artists is INSANE :jonny: They wish to have this song on their discography!

SPOTIFY

7. TV - Billie Eilish

ab67616d0000b2737a4781629469bb83356cd318

(July 21, 2022)

from the EP Guitar Songs

*Billie wrote a song about her just want to watch TV*

Me:

that-was.gif

SPOTIFY

6. American Teenager - Ethel Cain

ab67616d0000b27362f1d1a80698f46973373683

(April 21, 2022)

from the album Preacher's Daughter

Truly one of the catchiest, most powerful pop bangers I’ve heard in a long while. No wonder a lot of people and media publications put this in their end of the year lists

SPOTIFY

American Teenager + TV + That's Where I Am + As It Was :party:

despecha, not my job and american teenager…all classics :heart2:

not my job,, americna teenager, TV, Out of time, El Apagon, despecha :clap3:

Hurt To Love was cute! I'm still waiting for Beach to serve another Myth like wig snatcher 

• ATRL Moderator

your 15-11 is excellent :clap3: 

American Teenager

that-was.gif

Not really a fan of ROSALÌA but I do enjoy DESPECHA. Same for Ethel Cain actually... American Teenager is decent. TV is fine, always enjoyed The 30th more. because i liked a boy is great, wish I enjoyed it more back when it was released because it was an amazing response to all the drama. Out of Time + Not My Job :jamming: As It Was :heart: That's Where I Am + The Loneliest Time :date::date:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.