GreatestLoveofAll- The 2022 Playlist- 2022 Songs FINALE!!!

GreatestLoveofAll

So last year I was too lazy to make mine and I really regret it now considering so many great songs came out in 2021 and I discovered a whole bunch. With that being said, I guess this can be the sequel to much my inaugraul 2020 rundown. Nothing too fancy as Im no CEO of graphic design, but I hope my commentary keeps some of yall interested!

Like my last one, this will just be a countdown of my favorite songs released in 2022 (which was tough after a certain point cause there were songs that came out in like November, December last year that were all the rage but missed the cut- aka "Until I Found You" and the whole Encanto soundtrack) and a whole randomized list of my favorite newly discovered tracks (which consist of songs that may be 2021 releases, but ones at least released in Q1 and Q2). Without further ado and coming very soon to you...

GreatestLoveofAll's 40 Greatest Songs of 2022

&

GreatestLoveofAll's 2022 Discoveries

Edited by GreatestLoveofAll
adding

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreatestLoveofAll

• JGibson

• Legend E

• TheWayWeWere

reserved

Cannot wait to see what is on the lists.

:duca:

Ready for it :gaycat2: and period @ more people doing discovery lists as well

Ok my lovelies, dont lash me for the lack of effort I saw it had been a week since I made this thread and before ATRL kicks us out again I had to post! I will do a little of both discoveries and 2022 countdowns and you guys tell me if the formatting works.

GreatestLoveofAll: 2022 Countdown Part 1

45. Unholy- Sam Smith and Kim Petras

A black and white picture of Sam Smith resting their hand on Kim Petras's shoulder as she is sticking her tongue out. The word "Unholy" is written at the bottom in white letters, with the H stylised to resemble a crucifix.

Clunky? Yes. A bit of a mess in both lyrics and theme? Very much so. Probably gonna age like grocery store cheese within a year? Leaning towards the affirmative here. But when a song is a grower, its a grower and I would be doing myself a disservice by snubbing it off my list. I initially wanted to make this only 20 songs to keep it short but I went with the longer list and so I gots to see it through and aftet lots of switching and contemplating how mnay drags I would get for debuting my rankings with such a polarizing song, I placed this weird but oh so fun the bottom, but it is still worthy to me. "Mhhm daddy daddy if you want it drop the addy" will always be a moment.

44. Cardboard Box- FLO

Cardboard Box by FLO.jpg

Very reminiscent of early 2000s R&B and aesthetics, I nearly missed this song had it not been for the ATRL Grammys and people with taste nominating and vouching for it. Im glad I took the chance because this is one of the best debuts I've heard in a bit and I was ready to ride with it on first listen. I havent gotten around to listening to the full EP, but if it has more of this, I am hoping for a major breakthrough down the road for these ladies.

43. Bam Bam- Camila Cabello (ft. Ed Sheeran)

Bam Bam featuring Ed Sheeran (Official Single Cover) by Camila Cabello.png

Two of ATRL's favorite punching bags on the same track? a recipe for success on the charts and one for drags here. While not as bombastic as the amazing "Dont Go Yet" from 2021 (which would have been top 10 had I made a list last year btw) and lacks the subtle and slicker melody of her DaBaby collab "My Oh My", I think this song serves the purpose of both the albums theme of showcasing her roots while still keeping her pop sensibilities and connections. Ed sounds like he's trying to inject some kind of white man soul into the final adlibs, and it feels off, but it's not enough to make this a bad song imo.

GreatestLoveofAll's Discoveries: Part 1

This Time I Know It's For Real- Donna Summer

This Time I Know It's For Real.jpg

There is just sooo much to say about Miss Donna Summer and this song. Donna is often overshadowed in the talks about the great female popstars and legends of the music industry and for someone who literally was a game changer in the world of disco not just as a black woman, but in general is very sad and a reflection on her short-lived prime. Heck, it wasn't until like three years ago did I realize that she was literally one of the greatest singers in mainstream music and probably would have been a gospel pioneer had she stayed in that path.  I really do think kicking off my countdown with this song is the best choice. Donna had far since been away from her hit making years due to ageism, but for her last major hit? Oh she went ALL in. She was already a powerful vocalist, but to add 80s synths and bombastic energy to it? Its the closest she gets to an I Wanna Dance With Somebody moment and I am always here for it. She belts, growls and just soars over a jubilant track of finding the love of a lifetime and it feels so much more than words to a melody, but a testimony as you hear her voice swell. Just amazing.

Teenage Dirtbag-Wheatus

Teenage Dirtbag.jpg

this went viral on TikTok, which is where many of the songs on this list were discovered, but actually I heard this song on a Netflix singing competition first and I was drawn to the unique vocal range and styling of the lead vocalist. Im not really into 90s rock/alternative (truly overrated and I know its a 2000 song) but this gets a pass for being the first of its kind that doesn't irk my ears. The nerd gets the girl who was actually alike him the whole time is a basic trope but one thats fun and dorky to explore in music and this one does well not to get annoying.

Como La Flor (Live)- Selena (The Last Concert)

Selena - Live, the Last Concert.jpg

I alternate between this one and the studio version more than any other song because both have parts I love. I love the way Selena takes her time with this track, especially in the beginning as the crowd cheers and the music swells elegantly. When she finally breaks into the songs original tune, you are immediately swept into a dancing speed, but one that still can make you think on what she is saying- which is kind of heartbreaking. And at the end, she closes it with a musical bow and it just feels bittersweet really. I cry listening to both versions, and both will make this list. Actually, Selena sports at least four other songs that dominated my 2022 and Im glad that discovered more of her great talent even if it makes me sad to know that there could have been so much more.

Unholy is a bit of a mess :rip: honestly surprised how it's getting success

Bam Bam :-* cute bawp, can't get the hate for it tbh

Teenage Dirtbag :heart2:  (Thank you, TikTok, for getting it revived again). 

• ATRL Moderator

Como La Flor :heart: 

Cardboard Box is a great song! Should've played it more tbh. Unholy is not it.

Cardboard Box acclaim :jonnycat: Truly one of my favorite songs of the year

Donna Summer is such an underrated pop girls i agree. and the fact that TTIKIR was a smash hit when she was in her 40s is also amazing a well especially it was the time when younger female artists were popping off too like Whitney, Janet, Paula Abdul, Neneh Cherry etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • ATRL Moderator

Hello!

On 12/25/2022 at 11:47 AM, Ace Reject said:

Hello!

we finishing this! sorry my laziness will NOT win this year.

Ok so this might be brief, but I knew I had to come back to this eventually. three weeks later here we are! I'm thankful for all the support I've gotten for this- even so far when i've abandoned it. This part is long to make up for lost time, and I might drop a second part in a few hours just to get through it faster, but I hope y'all find some gems here.

GreatestLoveofAll: 2022 Countdown Part 2

42. This Is Why- Paramore

Cover artwork for 'This Is Why': Grey background, Paramore members Taylor York, Hayley Williams, and Zac Farro pressing their cheeks up against a glass screen that is slightly wet. Center left text reads "Paramore", center right text reads "This Is Why"

Im not a huge fan of the rock-alternative sound as we all know, but Paramore always come in once a while to drop a little something even I could give a head bop to. Curious to see what the album sounds like next year.

41. First Class- Jack Harlow

Jack Harlow - Come Home the Kids Miss You.png

I know, I know all the hip-hop heads who will potentially gaze over my offering will scoff at the fact that this is even on a 'best of' list, but as middling as the reviews for the parent album were, I was quick to like this song. I doesn't really follow a specific story as many bragging songs do, but who doesn't love an iconic interloping and the chorus is such a hooker. Here's to hoping his next offering is just as good.

40. No One Dies From Love- Tove Lo

Tove Lo - No One Dies from Love.png

I cant say I have paid attention to Tove since "Habits" was a hit back in 2014, but one of my first gay friends put me on to this and I have to say, I can definitely see her appeal. "No one dies from love, guess I'll be the first" line is so dramatic I cant tell if I should roll my eyes or enjoy the melodrama of it all.

39. Her- Megan Thee Stallion

Megan Thee Stallion - Traumazine.png

It isnt treading any new ground for the Houston hottie, but with some artist, doing a variety of the same kind of song is too part of their brand not to really be anything else. Its a shame this whole era underperformed- "Her" feels like one of those TikTok songs you glad went viral. It has a interesting, almost electro production which I feel shouldnt work with Megan at her best, but for some reason it did here. 

38. That's Hilarious- Charlie Puth

Charlie Puth - That's Hilarious.png

I may be lying, but this is the only Charlie song on this list. Not that im apologizing for its inclusion- I dont stan him and didnt listen to the album, but I'd be amiss if I didnt say I enjoyed all his singles this year. There was no way I'd be able to rank all of them on the already too long of a list I had though, so I went with this lowkey bitter song. He sounds absolutely done with whoever he is addressing this too and its kinda intriguing to listen to even though its nothing revolutionary.

37. Electric Life- Duncan Laurence

See the source image

I was so exicted for what he'd bring to music after his amazing debut with "Arcade", but beside his 2021 Christmas song, Duncan's music has been pretty boring and uneventful. "Electric Life" doesnt have the same emotional power as "Arcade" does, but its a fine pop song that has just the right amount of somberness mixed with midtempo melodies. I would definitely recommend. 

36. City of Gods- Fivio Foreign (ft. Kanye West and Alicia Keys)

Fivio Foreign, Kanye West and Alicia Keys - City of Gods.png

Had no clue this was drill music, or at least an Americanized version, until I looked on its wiki page for the art cover... either way I loved this song when I first discovered it during the summer. Even though Fivio is the lead, his lyrics and flow kinda do pale in comparison to the mastery of Kanye, who, despite him being just a terrible person who needs help these days, is still able to showcase even a sliver of what made him a star in the first place. Alicia even steals the show here as well.

35. Carolina- Taylor Swift

Cover artwork of "Carolina"

One of my favorite Taylor non-album songs ever (#2 to be exact), she conveys the mystery, creepiness and mysticism of the movie theme so well here, its no surprise that its been up for nearly every award out there for movie songs. 

GreatestLoveofAll's 2022 Discoveries: Part 2

Dont Make Me Over- Dionne Warwick

Don't Make Me Over - Dionne Warwick.jpg

Dionne warbles through this tune with a sort of conviction that's sort of scary- but considering her family history and her own years of training and mastering, it can't be too surprising she came out of the gate with this much soul. Talk about amazing debut singles!

I'm Coming Out/Upside Down- Diana Ross (Chris Cox Remix)

cpqy2NXYWlSYz-FEmU4bI1qq2acut6bSPv8qQaU57A0Gz46X3VB9Zlal5LuX0CAohXs9ANSXIWEzPvZmsYRYqNlL7So0dxu8P7wWhstB2Cv6TRjqMhYTj2IpsHheCpx5XkcwNN1cxp0JKa459EeO4k47nM9tJxPbTF6NQPKfG_1Q6_CWExjdfISCkVfPqQ

truly surprised I had heard this head-bopping mashup/remix before, but somehow Diana makes this list every time. A legend indeed. There is a sort of almost ecstasy that takes over when the beats drop on this remix- as gay as can be this one is. 

I Wanna Be Down

I Wanna Be Down.jpg

my job has this playlist that plays over and over again and I heard this song passively for months, until I decided to look it up when I began to recognize the lyrics. Brandy was definitely young, but also very in tune with her instrument at that age and as chill and riding the beat as it is, its a great showcase of what made Brandy and her peers so successful on multi-format radios in the US. The fact that she ate this hard on her debut single... black female excellence.

Edited by GreatestLoveofAll
adding

On 12/25/2022 at 3:36 PM, Green said:

Unholy, Bam Bam  :clap3:

Como La Flor is a classic :heart:

Teenage Dirtbag  :jamming:

TASTE. Como la flor has me crying againnnn

On 12/16/2022 at 6:03 PM, Mr. Blue_Shirt said:

Cardboard Box acclaim :jonnycat: Truly one of my favorite songs of the year

Donna Summer is such an underrated pop girls i agree. and the fact that TTIKIR was a smash hit when she was in her 40s is also amazing a well especially it was the time when younger female artists were popping off too like Whitney, Janet, Paula Abdul, Neneh Cherry etc

that song is soooo good- it really should have been a number one cause its 80s perfection

On 12/15/2022 at 9:54 PM, Legend E said:

Como La Flor :heart: 

Cardboard Box is a great song! Should've played it more tbh. Unholy is not it.

nnnn love the disagreement :redface: Cardboard Box is a gem frrrr

On 12/14/2022 at 7:10 PM, JGibson said:

Teenage Dirtbag :heart2:  (Thank you, TikTok, for getting it revived again). 

I feel validated i discovered it before tiktok as basic as that sounds

On 12/14/2022 at 9:40 AM, TheWayWeWere said:

Unholy is a bit of a mess :rip: honestly surprised how it's getting success

Bam Bam :-* cute bawp, can't get the hate for it tbh

Love how you stop by every year, thanks legend :heart2: and bam bam does hit lets speak on it!

This Is Why + Carolina + No One Dies From Love :party:

Her should've been Megan solo hit. It deserves to be #1 hit for 9 weeks like- It's hip house done right. Megan's following that Azealia footsteps :clap3:

No One Dies From Love & This Is Why also bops as well :jonnycat:

I Wanna Be Down is just THAT classic that i still listening to it until this day. It never gets old :jonny:

Her was the best new song on Megan's album but I wish it had a better chorus :katie:

No One Dies From Love and Cardboard Box :clap3: Bam Bam is overhated tbh :fan:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.