• Replies 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ontherocks

• VeniceBeach

• Mariah's Glove

• stjosephprey4us

I'm so excited to listen to this. I've somehow not listened to any of the leaks, so I'll be going in blind. All the reactions and reviews sound really positive so far. 

The main reason why NFR was so acclaimed (and mainly from reviewers who had previously shitt*d on her) was because she partly ditched her sad weak girl narrative with lyrics like "Goddamn, manchild, you f*cked me so good that I almost said I love you", "You took my sadness out of context...".

It's almost as if she put herself on the same level as her lover for once, she was writing from a more masculine point of view than her typical songs "I'm your man". 

She takes the protective role in California where her man is the person with struggles for once and she offers her help, and in TNBARecord, her man is the obsessed artist instead of her.

And not just her lover but society in general with The Greatest, "Kanye West is blonde and gone". It's the cockiness and self assurance of most men in music.

That's why Doin Time suits the album so well.

What I mean to say with this is that I think that it's the narrative and not the sound what made NFR so acclaimed, albeit the help of Antonoff's legacy. And it's okay if she goes back to her sad girl narrarive with Ocean Blvd and critics just can't take it for what it is. (Still they are not hating on it like with BTD or UV so it's good).

Edited by Amethyst

still 79... please at least 1 more point it can't be her endless summer vacation and chromatica

nene.thumb.gif.9f70a2ee5209b14f384bde0bd

The album track should be enough to score this album with a solid 95, don't come for me.  

nene.thumb.gif.9f70a2ee5209b14f384bde0bd

Edited by Roberto

3 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

The main reason why NFR was so acclaimed (and mainly from reviewers who had previously shitt*d on her) was because she partly ditched her sad weak girl narrative with lyrics like "Goddamn, manchild, you f*cked me so good that I almost said I love you", "You took my sadness out of context...".

It's almost as if she put herself on the same level as her lover for once, she was writing from a more masculine point of view than her typical songs "I'm your man". 

She takes the protective role in California where her man is the person with struggles for once and she offers her help, and in TNBARecord, her man is the obsessed artist instead of her.

And not just her lover but society in general with The Greatest, "Kanye West is blonde and gone". It's the cockiness and self assurance of most men in music.

That's why Doin Time suits the album so well.

And she should do it again! But in her own time of course 

listening party is over!

it’s funny how i felt like i had heard every single track already because i’ve been leeching this thread and reading your takes on the record. i knew every detail of every song and expected every lyric and melody. 

so i’ll just listen to the leak next time and not wait bc it wasn’t gratifying at all. cute record!

oh and, top 5 from absolute first listen:

grandpa

margaret

fishtail

kintsugi

paris texas

Edited by helpthomas

Why do I feel like they added the review incorrectly and that's why the score didn't update? :rip: It shows up correctly now.

Edited by kikugalanet

1 minute ago, helpthomas said:

listening party is over!

it’s funny how i felt like i had heard every single track already because i’ve been leeching this thread and reading your takes on the record. i knew every detail of every song and expected every lyric and melody. 

so i’ll just listen to the leak next time and not wait bc it wasn’t gratifying at all. cute record!

Not “cute record!” … I’m staying hyped for my first listen REGARDLESS Oprah Winfrey Omg GIF

Just now, CottageHore said:

Not “cute record!” … I’m staying hyped for my first listen REGARDLESS Oprah Winfrey Omg GIF

i mean i think my entire experience was spoiled bc of the circumstances of the poorly planned event, i’ll fully digest the record soon. i could barely hear the music through those horrible speakers. 

but i have to say the album sequencing is horrible and there’s no reason to have 10000 piano ballads in a row before grandpa, and end with three meaty bops

If Kintsugi, Fingertips, Margaret, Paris TX, Fishtail, Grandfather & LTLI don’t make the album worthwhile for you, please turn your stan cards in immediately. :celestial5:

1 hour ago, KK_Lover said:

WOW the amazon vinyl it's violet not pink WHAT A SCAM 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952piujh4ebbzu27bjnz1

UM WHAT? I would hate that so much since It wouldn't fit the font on the cover. Which was the whole selling point. *runs to Discogs*

that violet vinyl :redface:

3 minutes ago, Unoriginal said:

someone post the vinyl pics though

38 minutes ago, CottageHore said:

Oh plz, this album not being a critical triumph is a good sign in my eyes. My favorite album by her is UV and we all know how lukewarm or harsh the reviews were around that one.

Lana having the critics a bit unsettled and confused means she’s not playing it safe like she did on her past two albums. She’s pushing boundaries again. The critical acclaim for BB and COCC was solely because critics are simpletons and because those albums didn’t stray far from the sonic elements of NFR, the critics figured “well, damn! We can’t praise NFR and not these”. Now, she’s not giving them exactly what they want, so they don’t know how to compute.

We all know that in 10 years, critics will give this album its retrospective praise and Lana will once again be deemed an innovator for it. It’s the same **** all the time. Lana is a pioneer and a true artist, so she’s not gonna be continuously met with approval. Other critically acclaimed artists who play it safe and purposely cater to critic approval just can’t relate. If You Say So Shrug GIF

:clap3:.

• ATRL Moderator
8 minutes ago, VeniceBeach said:

neither of these are what was advertised :deadbanana2:

Just now, Unoriginal said:

neither of these are what was advertised :deadbanana2:

the green looks ok in the first picture, the second looks like ****

the pink is horrid though