Relief is coming! Work is being done to address the recent server issues. ×

German Football Players Didn’t Want to Protest; Forced to by Leadership

BOOMBAYAH

https://www.sportschau.de/fussball/fifa-wm-2022/wm-2022-dfb-katar-aussprache-100.html

GettyImages-1245017683(1).jpg

- Majority of players felt "instumentalized" 

- Intense discussions in the squad before the game against Japan 

- After One Love armband was banned, majority of players were against protesting. DFB leadership and few players (other media names Neuer and Goretzka) were strongly in favor of it 

- Campaign manager of Olaf Scholz was involved in finding alternative protest 

- Majority of players rejected the "heart-gesture" proposed by DFB and Neuer, as they considered it disrespectful to muslims and didn't want to "lecture" Qatar 

- Players agreed to "hand over mouth" gesture as a compromise, because it was only a protest against FIFA 

well yeah. that was performative AF and hypocritical tbh

all these players, teams and countries were silent and didn't do this level of protests when the World Cup was held in Russia despite the fact that Russia has an even worse human rights record than Qatar. No one did ish when the Olympics were held in China despite china's literal ongoing genocide on Muslims Uighurs. No one did a ish when Brazil hosted the world cup despite Brazil having one of the highest homicide rates of LGBTQIA+ people on earth (especially trans people). This was all performative because Qatar was an easy nation to dunk on and get brownie points lol. Qatar's track record is gross AF but I highly doubt any of these people genuinely cared for the Qatari LGBTQIA+ community, for Qatari women or for Migrant Workers who mostly come from the Global South. This entire charade screamed PR stunt. I also doubt they'll be doing this level of BS if the next World Cup is held in a country with a horrible human rights record. 

Edited by IBeMe

I don't blame them. This entire situation is really a terrible look for gays and for Qatar. I think heavily forcing this issue at these events from the west looks bad and gives places like Qatar an easy defense. Bad timing, bad place, bad look. Idk it's all a mess.

10 minutes ago, besaid said:

I don't blame them. This entire situation is really a terrible look for gays and for Qatar. I think heavily forcing this issue at these events from the west looks bad and gives places like Qatar an easy defense. Bad timing, bad place, bad look. Idk it's all a mess.

I don't think it gives gays a bad look but it does seem very preachy and in the worst of ways. It also highlights the atrocities that Western nations have committed and STILL commit around the world because ppl search for double standards and hypocrisy when these nations preach too much. It also does not help the local Qatari gay community nor the migrant workers or women. It actually sets some of those things back because it makes the topics more taboo now seeing as Qatar has been thrashed so intensely that I doubt ANY discourse on those things will be talked about by local media in a VERY VERY long time. Like now trying to make progress on societal issues like gay rights and migrant worker rights in Qatar will be a non-starter because they will for sure not talk about these issues EVEN MORE now that they have been this thrashed internationally. The sad thing is that there was slow (and I mean VERY slow) progress in terms of migrant worker rights and women rights in that country. Nothing to be too excited about but some minor shifts were happening...now I doubt any of these things will be allowed to advance anymore.

The west does not understand that people can very clearly spot its hypocrisy and the west also seems to not understand that change happens in small and slow waves and it happens LOCALLY. societies do not change by being shamed and completely insulted on such a massive scale. Criticism is fair, calling for progress is fair but some of the media coverage was almost teetering on racism and eurocentricism. Like tons ...and I mean TONS of racists and conservatives who do not gives an F about LGBT ppl or women or migrant workers were using this as an excuse to diss another islamic nation and arabs in general. The level of racism and vitriol was / is insane on social media and even on mainstream media. Does this mean these countries should be excused with their horrible human rights records? No BUT it is a really the wrong way to go about it. The world cup being held in a Muslim and Arab nation for the first time should have been used as an opportunity to try to create spaces for these topics to be talked about in a collaborative manner. Yes it would be symbolic and not really effective at creating change but it would be miles better than the chaos going on right now with every two seconds some player, company, country, media station, reporter, fan etc..trying to score brownie points by making a half hearted gesture of "resistance". Like come on :skull: This whole approach only creates an us vs them narrative and it creates resentment. No one likes to be preached to...especially when some of the nations doing the preaching are actively comiting human rights atrocities as we speak. It's all just so messy.

People are generally free to protest to whomever they want, whenever they want.

On the other hand, people should stop the whataboutism and instead build up the courage to protest for those who think they deserve protests too.  Like one team is not supposed to protest every issue in the world because it will not end.

The people who caused drama against this little act only proved the German team right.

GettyImages-1245017683(1).jpg

Edited by A.R.L

Yeah wbk are you really telling me straight football players are supportive of LGBTQIA+? :toofunny3:

On 12/5/2022 at 6:28 AM, IBeMe said:

I don't think it gives gays a bad look but it does seem very preachy and in the worst of ways. It also highlights the atrocities that Western nations have committed and STILL commit around the world because ppl search for double standards and hypocrisy when these nations preach too much. It also does not help the local Qatari gay community nor the migrant workers or women. It actually sets some of those things back because it makes the topics more taboo now seeing as Qatar has been thrashed so intensely that I doubt ANY discourse on those things will be talked about by local media in a VERY VERY long time. Like now trying to make progress on societal issues like gay rights and migrant worker rights in Qatar will be a non-starter because they will for sure not talk about these issues EVEN MORE now that they have been this thrashed internationally. The sad thing is that there was slow (and I mean VERY slow) progress in terms of migrant worker rights and women rights in that country. Nothing to be too excited about but some minor shifts were happening...now I doubt any of these things will be allowed to advance anymore.

The west does not understand that people can very clearly spot its hypocrisy and the west also seems to not understand that change happens in small and slow waves and it happens LOCALLY. societies do not change by being shamed and completely insulted on such a massive scale. Criticism is fair, calling for progress is fair but some of the media coverage was almost teetering on racism and eurocentricism. Like tons ...and I mean TONS of racists and conservatives who do not gives an F about LGBT ppl or women or migrant workers were using this as an excuse to diss another islamic nation and arabs in general. The level of racism and vitriol was / is insane on social media and even on mainstream media. Does this mean these countries should be excused with their horrible human rights records? No BUT it is a really the wrong way to go about it. The world cup being held in a Muslim and Arab nation for the first time should have been used as an opportunity to try to create spaces for these topics to be talked about in a collaborative manner. Yes it would be symbolic and not really effective at creating change but it would be miles better than the chaos going on right now with every two seconds some player, company, country, media station, reporter, fan etc..trying to score brownie points by making a half hearted gesture of "resistance". Like come on :skull: This whole approach only creates an us vs them narrative and it creates resentment. No one likes to be preached to...especially when some of the nations doing the preaching are actively comiting human rights atrocities as we speak. It's all just so messy.

Idk if it's that deep that you need to be writing essays about it. It's a thing that happened and I bet most people will just forget about it all. I agree we should leave Qatar alone, but in a way we've been funding them with the oil and natural gas purchases. And now obviously they get this money boost from football tourism.

On 12/5/2022 at 5:28 AM, IBeMe said:

What about what about what about it's not the solution too. If someone don't speak about Palestine but speak about trans people in Brasil still better than nothing. 

Most straight football players are sadly homophobic bastards

I don't understand logic of leaving Qatar alone cause they are arabs. Comparing them to Russia for some reason. There's no other country in the world that was dragged as much in the last 10 years as Russia (totally deserves it).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.