Biden extends student debt freeze until June 2023 or when program is cleared

Communion

so desperate to win the re-election in 2024:clap3:

making king moves :clap3:

Now is the time for Queen Kamala to make some moves. 

Pausing it until it really benefits him. It’s literally all he has as dormant president. 

2 minutes ago, BGKC said:

Pausing it until it really benefits him. It’s literally all he has as dormant president. 

And if he didn’t do that? what would you be your statement?

OT: :clap3:

7 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

I mean, if he didn't, he'd deserve to lose such popularity since debt forgiveness fueled Dems in the midterms.

But I think you're misreading what that user means by "dormant". They're simply recognizing that, in just a few weeks, a new Congress will be in and Dems will have lost the House and thus much of their ability to legislate.

All Biden will really have in 2023-2024 is hie executive authority. It'd be political malpractice for him to shy away from a broad interpretation of what those executive powers authorize him to do and how to do it.

To give him credit, he did threaten to veto anything Congress passed to end the state of emergency related to COVID when some centrist Dems joined in with Republicans in the Senate to end it, which would have ended his power to extend the pause, so he seems to understand the key importance, so far, of debt forgiveness.

I'm here for this

The universe is truly on my side.

My payments were about to begin at the end of December and now they’re pushed to June and I begin my graduate program in January so does this mean I won’t have to start making payments until after I get my masters now that I’ll be in school again? Anyone care to clarify for me?

34 minutes ago, Breathe On Moi said:

OT: :clap3:

My statement would consist of us pretending to live in a democracy… depending on some right wing appeasing democrat corpse. Please. 

25 minutes ago, CottageHore said:

The universe is truly on my side.

My payments were about to begin at the end of December and now they’re pushed to June and I begin my graduate program in January so does this mean I won’t have to start making payments until after I get my masters now that I’ll be in school again? Anyone care to clarify for me?

It depends on the kind of school you're going to for your graduate program and if you'll be considered a matriculated student (ie: you're going to school at least for a certain amount of hours determined by course load). But yes, you most likely can defer payment on your loans while you're in grad school.

The only downside usually is that unsubsidized loans still accrue interest while you're enrolled (versus subsidized loans - that only can be taken out for undergrad - where the interest doesn't accrue), but with the extended pause, the interest for federally-held loans is still actively 0%. 

Whether this was in fact just symbolic actions set up to fail as progressives have been saying, or the WH genuinely felt it'd be challenged no matter what (albeit by bogus suits but that SCOTUS or a federal appeals court with a Trump justice would accept anyways) so they did what they could....If Warnock gets pulled over the finish line for youth turnout in Atlanta, I hope there's extensive coverage and data analysis of its link to this effort.

Because I haven't seen that happening for the rest of the midterms that just happened - maybe the data's out there but it hasn't gotten enough attention (for OR against that hypothetical or even if it helped but was minor, I want to see more of it). Imho. 

have already seen extensive data analysis that got extensive media attention on Dobbs+Roe turning out women across the political spectrum and age groups to the Dems, election deniers swinging Independents to the Dems wholesale, and Social Security/Medicare scare commercials working key margins of those 50+ across the political spectrum in swing districts. 

Not paying mine either way, whether it actually gets forgiven or not. I haven’t had to pay them for over 2 years and I won’t be starting in June :clap3: 

Hopefully SCOTUS rules in favor of Biden, but who knows at this point. Good for him!

How about we just extend it forever. :giraffe:  But I'm happy, as I DEFINITELY don't need to be making these payments the way my financial situation is currently. :rip:

15 hours ago, Aaron said:

Not paying mine either way, whether it actually gets forgiven or not. I haven’t had to pay them for over 2 years and I won’t be starting in June :clap3: 

:deadbanana2:

18 hours ago, Aaron said:

:clap3: I'll be joining you in paying for them never :clap3: 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:51 AM, Aaron said:

And ruin your credit? Good luck 

2 hours ago, Ibrahim said:

But I was told they'd never extend it 

No you weren't. You were told that people wouldn't vote in the upcoming runoff senate election if they decided not to extend it and you went "SO YOU RATHER HAVE REPUBLICANS???" and your pleas to not demand concessions for votes failed. See what happens when you put pressure on Democrats? Progressives get things done :clap3:

34 minutes ago, Communion said:

No you weren't. You were told that people wouldn't vote in the upcoming runoff senate election if they decided not to extend it and you went "SO YOU RATHER HAVE REPUBLICANS???" and your pleas to not demand concessions for votes failed. See what happens when you put pressure on Democrats? Progressives get things done :clap3:

I'm sorry but have you not seen the countless posts on this forum iterating that very point? 

Progressives can only hope to have progressive policies done if Democrats are in office. And student loan forgiveness was a part of Biden's campaign promise. I have no idea who said they people wouldn't vote if they didn't extend because I never saw that post and it clearly was wrong. By and large, the most common sentiment I've seen on these forums is "Democrats don't really care about [insert policy]" or " they won't extend the student debt hold because they don't care." 

What pleas of concessions are you even referring to because pretty sure you're talking about someone else.  

Edited by Ibrahim

Whats the point? He is giving out these handouts but these ungrateful liberal f***s wont vote for him in 2024 and continue to criticize him for everything. I have never seen them praise him for any good thing he has done. 

5 minutes ago, Ibrahim said:

Student loan forgiveness was a part of Biden's campaign promise

Another example of how progressives demanding concessions works if people want votes. #ComplainLoud #BeHeard :clap3:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.