Jump to content

Respect For Marriage Act passes first vote in the US Senate (62-37)


anti-bitch
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 Repubs voted Yea. That's enough to pass the filibuster threshold (60 votes).

 

This proposal would protect same sex and interracial marriages.

 

There's gonna be another vote in the House and Senate, I believe, before it reaches Joe Biden's desk.

 

 

 

 

Edited by anti-bitch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This would repeal the DOMA, Defense of Marriage Act, from 1996 :loki:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Republicans are very progressive :clap3:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Republicans are very progressive :clap3:

no :deadbanana4:

Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh said that anyone who votes for this should leave the GOP.

Edited by anti-bitch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, anti-***** said:

no :deadbanana4:

Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh said that anyone who votes for this should leave the GOP.

 

Even more of a reason to celebrate when these two dumbasses are fuming! Thank you Queen Susan Collins you will ALWAYS be famous :clap3:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Republicans having common sense with moral issues, they just became the perfect party. Or at least the best, without the crazyness of the extreme left who wants us to go back to the caves because the climate and the defund the police/open borders movement. Oh and also the whole teaching about masturbation and sex transition to your 5 yo kid :rip:

Edited by ToxDust
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, James_Dean said:

What's the catch?? :celestial5:

That it offers all kinds of exemptions to religious institutions. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

Republicans are very progressive :clap3:

Is this sarcasm? 3/4 voted against it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ToxDust said:

Republicans having common sense with moral issues, they just became the perfect party. Or at least the best, without the crazyness of the extreme left who wants us to go back to the caves because the climate and the defund the police/open borders movement. Oh and also the whole teaching about masturbation and sex transition to your 5 yo kid :rip:

What :deadbanana4:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ToxDust said:

Republicans having common sense with moral issues, they just became the perfect party. Or at least the best, without the crazyness of the extreme left who wants us to go back to the caves because the climate and the defund the police/open borders movement. Oh and also the whole teaching about masturbation and sex transition to your 5 yo kid :rip:

the left is just as nuts as the right at the moment, that is true

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This bill does not codify same sex marriage. The only reason Republicans support this is because if/when Obergefell is overturned, states will have no legal obligation to give out marriage certificates to same sex couples. republicans did not suddenly become progressive overnight

And what is with the obsession with trans people? The way we already got brought up in this thread despite this bill having nothing to do with us. 

 

Edited by Kylizzle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Brando said:

the left is just as nuts as the right at the moment, that is true

Don't equate the entire left with those radicals who advocate for gender neutral parenting (when they force kids to be non-binary), talking to you you and @ToxDust. That's not the entire left, not at all. And we can find common sense solution to climate and environment without going back to the stone age, but that's another topic too, and again, not all leftists thinks so.

Edited by anti-bitch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

Don't equate the entire left with those radicals who advocate for gender neutral parenting (when they force kids to be non-binary), talking to you you and @ToxDust. That's not the entire left, not at all. And we can find common sense solution to climate and environment without going back to the stone age, but that's another topic too, and again, not all leftists thinks so.

tbh the environment part is not extreme, but so many leftist ideas are. i have a couple of friends like that, they don't care about anything in life beyond sexuality/gender/race

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perfect not enemy of the good, but I would've done sex or employment codification first. I've always felt that way through this entire battle even before Prop 8. Especially as we'll probably not have all three chambers again (looking at my projections) for at least 20 years.

 

3 minutes ago, Kylizzle said:

This bill does not codify same sex marriage. The only reason Republicans support this is because if/when Obergefell is overturned, states will have no legal obligation to give out marriage certificates to same sex couples. republicans did not suddenly become progressive overnight

And what is with the obsession with trans people? The way we already got brought up in this thread despite this bill having nothing to do with us. 

You know it's conflation of issues as far as the trans conversation is concerned (I'm not even going to respond to that other post here).

 

Your other points are valid, but this is the break glass plan for the inevitable. We all knew this would be getting struck down eventually and become the new Roe patchwork of states, but only with this fail-safe. I'd rather have the fail-safe. 

 

Also no one needs to tell me about Republican lack of empathy except when it hits home. Portman wouldn't have voted for this if his son hadn't come out to him. Nancy Reagan wouldn't have been for stem-cell research if not for Ronald's Alzheimer's. The hypocrisy is baked in at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Brando said:

the left is just as nuts as the right at the moment, that is true

The extreme left makes up comparably a much smaller portion. Meanwhile like half of republicans think the election was stolen…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, VOSS said:

I thought this already passed in the house?

I think there's always two rounds of voting. This was a cloture vote which ends the debate/filibuster. Simple majority will be enough to pass the second round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ToxDust said:

Republicans having common sense with moral issues, they just became the perfect party. Or at least the best, without the crazyness of the extreme left who wants us to go back to the caves because the climate and the defund the police/open borders movement. Oh and also the whole teaching about masturbation and sex transition to your 5 yo kid :rip:

Most republicans voted no dummy :rip:.  A perfect party wouldnt be headed by someone who thinks the elections they lose are rigged. Get a grip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Also no one needs to tell me about Republican lack of empathy except when it hits home. Portman wouldn't have voted for this if his son hadn't come out to him. Nancy Reagan wouldn't have been for stem-cell research if not for Ronald's Alzheimer's. The hypocrisy is baked in at this point. 

Compassion by proximity. And Ronald Reagan only started caring about HIV/AIDS after his dear friend Rock Hudson got it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

Compassion by proximity. And Ronald Reagan only started caring about HIV/AIDS after his dear friend Rock Hudson got it.

I actually...disagree with that based on a lot of the reporting and documentaries I've seen and read about their friendship post-diagnosis.

 

Also his "caring" about HIV - I'd avoid that framing as well, personally. But that's a different subject.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ToxDust said:

Republicans having common sense with moral issues, they just became the perfect party. Or at least the best, without the crazyness of the extreme left who wants us to go back to the caves because the climate and the defund the police/open borders movement. Oh and also the whole teaching about masturbation and sex transition to your 5 yo kid :rip:

God you’re so ******* stupid. Turn off the Fox News girl 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ABeyBraith said:

What :deadbanana4:

Don’t listen to them, they have the face of the Republican Party in Chile (Jose Antonio Kast) as profile pic :deadbanana4: Yikes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...