Jump to content

Elizabeth Chan defeats Mariah in "Queen of Christmas" trademark dispute


naval23
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • suburbannature

    22

  • naval23

    8

  • Itsjustalamb

    8

  • Virtual_Insanity

    23

57 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

The correct decision. It was despicable of Mariah to even think she could do this in the first place.

 

As Elizabeth Chan rightfully said - " Christmas is a season of giving, not the season of taking, and it is wrong for an individual  to attempt to own and monoplize a nichname like Queen of Christmas for the purpses of abjet materialism " 

 

Shame on Mariah - I won't be streaming any of her Christmas music this year. 

 

The Queen of Christmas by Elizabeth Chan on iTunes

 

Speaking of Elizabeth, Just released 7 hours ago and it's sort of a bop. :jamming:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, naval23 said:

 

Better luck next year?

 

3 hours ago, KillingYourCareer said:

Even the judge knows it's Ava Max since Christmas Without You. Move aside, Oh Santa lady :michael:

 

3 hours ago, D.M.F said:

Of course it was denied. Mariah isn’t the queen of Xmas. She’s the only one who think she is.

 

2 hours ago, Alexz said:

Why did she attempt  that?

 

2 hours ago, Mystic Boy said:

Why is she reducing her legacy to this? :ace:

 

1 hour ago, blueberries said:

More like the xmas turkey

 

1 hour ago, Jude said:

I'm sorry but that's a very desperate attempt. :rip:

 

1 hour ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

The correct decision. It was despicable of Mariah to even think she could do this in the first place.

 

As Elizabeth Chan rightfully said - " Christmas is a season of giving, not the season of taking, and it is wrong for an individual  to attempt to own and monoplize a nichname like Queen of Christmas for the purpses of abjet materialism " 

 

Shame on Mariah - I won't be streaming any of her Christmas music this year. 

 

The Queen of Christmas by Elizabeth Chan on iTunes

 

55 minutes ago, Protocol said:

Her massive media assault to assert herself as a central part of what is at its core a religious holiday is kind of gross and weird tbh. She is doing the absolute MOST. She already got the #1 and she has a Christmas classic, good for her. But you don't see ANYONE else trying this much to make Christmas about them. She just wrote a song about Christmas that's it. She is not Jesus. She is not the Virgin Mary. She is not Santa Claus either. It's giving weird energy.

 

45 minutes ago, Bloodflowers. said:

I LUV Mariah but this is so tone deaf :deadbanana2: 

 

13 minutes ago, Trainwreck said:

Embarrassing... Yikes :rip:

Wait. It wasn't rejected - she voluntarily withdrew the request. TMZ being TMZ. 

 

 

Edit - Liron confirmed as well: 

 

 

Edited by suburbannature
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, blueberries said:

More like the xmas turkey

:deadbanana2:

 

1 hour ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

The correct decision. It was despicable of Mariah to even think she could do this in the first place.

 

As Elizabeth Chan rightfully said - " Christmas is a season of giving, not the season of taking, and it is wrong for an individual  to attempt to own and monoplize a nichname like Queen of Christmas for the purpses of abjet materialism " 

 

Shame on Mariah - I won't be streaming any of her Christmas music this year. 

 

The Queen of Christmas by Elizabeth Chan on iTunes

Elizabeth Chan really had the last laugh :gaylocat1:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, brainmaniac said:

:deadbanana2:

 

Elizabeth Chan really had the last laugh :gaylocat1:

Maybe she'll chart a song on the Hot 100 for the first time this year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@naval23 so, are you going to correct the incorrect title now that we have court docs showing Mariah dropped the request, or was this thread only made to troll?

 

sodeVv8.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

@naval23 so, are you going to correct the incorrect title now that we have court docs showing Mariah dropped the request, or was this thread only made to troll?

 

sodeVv8.gif

so she filed a trademark only to withdraw it because there was a rebuttal and she knew she'd lose trying to trademark a title she couldn't claim anyways?

 

that's not better :deadbanana:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, naval23 said:

so she filed a trademark only to withdraw it because there was a rebuttal and she knew she'd lose trying to trademark a title she couldn't claim anyways?

 

that's not better :deadbanana:

It doesn't cite why she withdrew it.

 

Sorry, your thread didn't turn out how you wanted! 

 

Looking forward to the accurate title, though!

 

sodeVv8.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, suburbannature said:

It doesn't cite why she withdrew it.

 

Sorry, your thread didn't turn out how you wanted! 

 

Looking forward to the accurate title, though!

 

sodeVv8.gif

Not a random Twitter account as a source :bibliahh:

Elizabeth Chan Wins 'Queen of Christmas' Trademark Dispute Against Mariah Carey: 'Badge of Honor

In August, Chan and Darlene Love challenged Mariah Carey's decision to trademark the title

 

The court has sided with Elizabeth Chan in blocking Mariah Carey's bid to be the sole "Queen of Christmas."

 

Back in March 2021, the "Fantasy" singer, 53, filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office with hopes of legally marketing herself as the sole "Queen of Christmas," CBS News reported in August.

 

After the bid was made public in July 2022, fellow singer Chan — who claims she also has ties to the "Queen of Christmas" name, had her attorney, Louis W. Tompros of Boston-based WilmerHale, file a formal declaration of opposition against Carey's trademark claim.

 

On Tuesday, Chan announced the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board blocked Carey's attempt of owning the exclusive rights to the title, along with her attempts to trademark "Princess Christmas" and "QOC."

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, naval23 said:

Not a random Twitter account as a source :bibliahh:

Elizabeth Chan Wins 'Queen of Christmas' Trademark Dispute Against Mariah Carey: 'Badge of Honor

In August, Chan and Darlene Love challenged Mariah Carey's decision to trademark the title

 

The court has sided with Elizabeth Chan in blocking Mariah Carey's bid to be the sole "Queen of Christmas."

 

Back in March 2021, the "Fantasy" singer, 53, filed an application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office with hopes of legally marketing herself as the sole "Queen of Christmas," CBS News reported in August.

 

After the bid was made public in July 2022, fellow singer Chan — who claims she also has ties to the "Queen of Christmas" name, had her attorney, Louis W. Tompros of Boston-based WilmerHale, file a formal declaration of opposition against Carey's trademark claim.

 

On Tuesday, Chan announced the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board blocked Carey's attempt of owning the exclusive rights to the title, along with her attempts to trademark "Princess Christmas" and "QOC."

 

The source is the literal court documents. Nice try, luv. 

 

https://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?qt=adv&procstatus=All&pno=91277915&propno=&qs=queen+christmas&propnameop=&propname=&pop=&pn=&pop2=&pn2=&cop=&cn=

 

 

sodeVv8.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What did Elizabeth Chan win? She has no trademark and she's never charted on the Hot 100 or Billboard 200

 

Can't wait to see her meltdown on Twitter when AIWFCIY gets its 9th week at #1 soon

 

sodeVv8.gif

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

What did Elizabeth Chan win? She has no trademark and she's never charted on the Hot 100 or Billboard 200

 

Can't wait to see her meltdown on Twitter when AIWFCIY gets its 9th week at #1 soon

 

sodeVv8.gif

 

What is this song. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Protocol said:

Her massive media assault to assert herself as a central part of what is at its core a religious holiday is kind of gross and weird tbh. She is doing the absolute MOST. She already got the #1 and she has a Christmas classic, good for her. But you don't see ANYONE else trying this much to make Christmas about them. She just wrote a song about Christmas that's it. She is not Jesus. She is not the Virgin Mary. She is not Santa Claus either. It's giving weird energy.

Holidays are secular for most people nowadays, and Christmas has already been entirely commercialized anyway. Mariah is at least providing people seasonal bops. 

Edited by GraceRandolph
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

What is this song. 

dvjnsdl

 

now we see why she has 3k followers on Twitter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Holidays are secular for most people nowadays, and Christmas has already been entirely commercialized anyway. Mariah is at least providing people seasonal bops. 

Not in Latin America, Africa, many parts of Asia, and still for large numbers of people in Europe and North America.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mean Trees said:

 

Speaking of Elizabeth, Just released 7 hours ago and it's sort of a bop. :jamming:

 

Oh wow, a future classic :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

What did Elizabeth Chan win? She has no trademark and she's never charted on the Hot 100 or Billboard 200

 

Can't wait to see her meltdown on Twitter when AIWFCIY gets its 9th week at #1 soon

 

sodeVv8.gif

 

You're confused I fear. Elizabeth didn't want to win anything for herself, not did she apply for a trademark. 

Mariah applied for a trademark and Elizabeth filed an objection. Mariah was denied the trademark SHE applied for, along with two others. 

 

Again, this has nothing to do with how many weeks AIWFCIY spends at no 1, Elizabeth has no issues with that so has no reason to melt down over it. 

You're off topic as usual. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Virtual_Insanity said:

You're confused I fear. Elizabeth didn't want to win anything for herself, not did she apply for a trademark. 

Mariah applied for a trademark and Elizabeth filed an objection. Mariah was denied the trademark SHE applied for, along with two others. 

 

Again, this has nothing to do with how many weeks AIWFCIY spends at no 1, Elizabeth has no issues with that so has no reason to melt down over it. 

You're off topic as usual. 

Babes, I never said Miss Chan applied for one but at the end of the day what did she truly win. Quote me when she charts

 

Mariah was not "denied" the trademark. Court docs show it was actually going to trial based on Chan's objection and then Carey withdrew. That's when the court ruled it terminated.

 

sodeVv8.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, naval23 said:

so she filed a trademark only to withdraw it because there was a rebuttal and she knew she'd lose trying to trademark a title she couldn't claim anyways?

 

that's not better :deadbanana:

Exactly, it doesn't make her look any better. 

Her rep "Liron" scrambling now and saying she doesn't need it anyway lol

Why was the trademark filed in the first place then. 

 

And that one stan in here losing it as usual. Mariah lost this time - like, accept it and keep it moving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

Babes, I never said Miss Chan applied for one but at the end of the day what did she truly win. Quote me when she charts

 

Mariah was not "denied" the trademark. Court docs show it was actually going to trial based on Chan's objection and then Carey withdrew. That's when the court ruled it terminated.

 

sodeVv8.gif

Gurl use whatever words you wanted. She applied for something(s) she clearly wanted. She was opposed. She backed down cos she knew she was going to lose, just to save face. Whatever way you want to word it, she lost. 

Elizabeth Chan won the right to continue to use Queen of Christmas when she wants. And that was all SHE wanted. So she indeed did win. 

Your deflection to the hot 100 is completely tragic. Elizabeth Chan is an independent artist who writes Xmas songs for fun at home. She regularly charts on the Holiday Charts and I am sure is perfectly content with her lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, suburbannature said:

 

 

Mariah was not "denied" the trademark. Court docs show it was actually going to trial based on Chan's objection and then Carey withdrew. That's when the court ruled it terminated.

 

sodeVv8.gif

 

Nah if you read the filing - Mariah never withdrew - her team didn't respond to the opposition filing.

 

On October 1, 2022, the Board issued a notice of default to Applicant because no answer had been filed. No response to the notice of default has been filed. Accordingly, judgment by default is hereby entered against Applicant, the opposition is sustained, and registration to Applicant is refused. See Fed. R. Civ. P. 55(b), and Trademark Rule 2.106(a).

 

It would've gone through had Elizabeth Chan never filed an objection, and her team was given a time frame to respond which they didn't and the objection went through as a result.

 

4 minutes ago, Virtual_Insanity said:

Exactly, it doesn't make her look any better. 

Her rep "Liron" scrambling now and saying she doesn't need it anyway lol

Why was the trademark filed in the first place then. 

 

And that one stan in here losing it as usual. Mariah lost this time - like, accept it and keep it moving. 

mte - they thought it would just go through and probably didn't expect someone to pushback and when they did, they just didn't bother fighting it because it would be a losing battle for them

Edited by naval23
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...