90201 reboot didn’t become as massive as Gossip Girl?

Power love

The 90s classic 90210 was a smash hit in the early 90s so popular it made the original cast house hold names overnight it lasted for 10 seasons. 

in 2008 the poplar zip code series was rebooted with a whole new cast of young fresh faces. Although the series lasted for half the time of its original show which is extremely impressive however was never as popular in pop culture like its peers.

In fact it’s practically forgotten today.

Gossip Girl, Pretty Little lairs, Glee, Vampire Diaries & Teen wolf were massive & had a strong following each had more seasons & still reference today.

None of the actors on 90210 did anything big once the series ended either. The actors had to do a flop zoom reunion themselves. 

What went wrong? Why? Why isn’t this show as pop culture reference & forgotten?

holy shenae grimes! I’ve completely forgotten about her. wasn’t she the next supposed it girl in 2008? also can’t believe it’s been this long since the reboot. 

Edited by Infatuation_Junkie

The 90210 reboot did well enough honestly. It went for what, 4-5 seasons? It was so close to the original ending too. 

As with most teen shows, it was so good the first 1-2 seasons and then fell off a cliff. 

Because it genuinely wasn't as good. Gossip Girl wasn't perfect either but stylistically, it has a lot more going on. 

Edited by Obsession

Because it was ass. Just like the new Gossip Girl is ass compared to the og and hasn’t had nearly the same impact (though I was never a big GG fan to begin with if I’m being honest). And this goes for most of these reboots. It’s hard to capture the same magic twice.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head that I kind of liked was the PLL one and that’s because they tried something different and didn’t feel like a poor imitation of the original.

1 hour ago, Gossip_Boy said:

The only one I can think of off the top of my head that I kind of liked was the PLL one

Did you really shade 90210 & the new GG then in the same breath say the new PLL was good :biblio::rip:

If PLL reboot is good then same with the other two! The nerve !

Was OBSESSED with this show. 

Naomi really WAS that girl.

Silver still sucks, **** her always! 

Adriana was my baby! :cries:

Adriana played the poor drugged out kicked aside sad little girl so well, it was lowkey torture p0rn at times, but she's so pretty

4 hours ago, 305 said:

Meghan Markle was in the reboot and gave one of the main characters a blwojob in the car :rip:

:deadbanana:

OT: Reboots almost always never age well or do as well as their predecessors b/c most of the time they're unnecessary and lack the spark that the original cast had. The reboot had nothing on the OG 90210 that had many 90s teens and young adults in a chokehold for a good while. 

Idk. Season 1 was great and it had a TON of buzz. It fell off both in quality and ratings soon after. At least it lasted 5 whole seasons though :clap3:

Side note: I will always love Shenae Grimes even if her career didn't end up going the way it should've. 

It was cute lol

i don’t know why I pretend I don’t like these shows 

5 hours ago, Power love said:

Did you really shade 90210 & the new GG then in the same breath say the new PLL was good :biblio::rip:

If PLL reboot is good then same with the other two! The nerve !

i mean to be fair:

PLL OS 82 mc/70 RT avg/71 imdb

gg 51/49/54

The show was like a cheap version of Gossip Girl with bad and forgettable characters (except for queen Naomi). It has long and many unnecessary seasons. 

As for the actors only a couple were really good but maybe they didn't take the right choices to happen after the end of the series.

Some of Gossip Girl, PLL, Teen Wolf's actors didn't happen too. It's all about priorities (Leighton Meenster for example picks the family life and dislikes the spotlights) and good/bad teams behind them.

13 hours ago, Gui Blackout said:

Cause it was terrible

S1 was cute but after that...

This.

Also, Gossip Girl only did 7 more episodes than 90210. After Season 3, GG lost all hype :rip:

why do i remember something about the main character killing a homeless man with her car? :rip: did that happen??

It was amidst all the other teen shows you mentioned and unlike GG, PLL, TVD it didn’t have anything stand out. I guess that’s why they tried to get Hilary. The plot lines were also all over the place. It was more of a messy guilty pleasure for teen drama lovers than anything else. Has no rewatch value tho. 

23 minutes ago, May said:

why do i remember something about the main character killing a homeless man with her car? :rip: did that happen??

Yup plus some dude blackmailing and raping her so she won’t get a DUI for it and ended up only getting house arrest anyway:ahh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.