Will you date a functioning alcoholic? ???☺️

Starfish

If he were kind, attentive, didn't shirk his duties but spent most of his free time drinking? 

there was an older guy at my work who was like this and i wanted to marry him tbh but if it was a guy my age then no

No but only because that type of thing is often indicative of a bigger problem that isn’t being addressed.

Absolutely not. My dental hygienist was just telling me about how she had to break up with her alcoholic boyfriend and she feels so relieved now.

Absolutely not, alcohol is pretty much one of the most dangerous and insidious drugs in existence. I’d date a recovered alcoholic, but a current struggling one, no way

Hell no. A drug addict and/or alcoholic is an immediate turn off. I've been around both and it immediately makes me uncomfortable.

As a functioning (and in recovery) alcoholic who dated an equally functioning alcoholic, no. We were too explosive and toxic. We were together for 8 years and maybe a total of 6 months of it was good. 

14 minutes ago, PMKARDASHIAN said:

As a functioning (and in recovery) alcoholic who dated an equally functioning alcoholic, no. We were too explosive and toxic. We were together for 8 years and maybe a total of 6 months of it was good. 

All the best for your continued sobriety.

No. I had a bad childhood due to my alcoholic father and I will never ever EVER let the history to repeat itself again.

3 minutes ago, Heartbreak Prince said:

All the best for your continued sobriety.

Thank you :heart:

No. I dated someone like this and it never ends well. Lots of ups and downs and it just gets tiring after a while. And let me tell you- ALOT of people are functioning alcoholics, especially in big cities, and especially those in higher paying jobs that you wouldn’t expect. 

Nope. Can't imagine being in a functioning relationship with someone like that.

I almost did and honestly no because he spent most of his nights in bars and it would mean that I would have to be drinking too alongside him and no ma'am. I only drink socially at most once a week and only one drink. He would regularly drink 3+ drinks 4-5+ times per week.

No. I had enough of that 2-3 days per week as a child. Literally watching nice people turning into rats each time.

Hard no. Grew up with an alcoholic parent & struggled myself with drinking. Cleaned up my act. Find it really uncomfortable to be around loved ones when their eyes are glassy & they aren't present. Drinking on special occasions, cool, all the time, nah, I'd feel disconnected

Edited by LoveInStereo

both of my parents were alcoholics and it did so much damage to me as a child i could never go through that again. i’d be with someone who has recovered tho.

No. I dated one for a month but once I clocked his unhealthy relationship with alcohol I dumped him. I'm teetotal now, I wouldn't mind if my bf drank but an full on alcoholic? It's not worth the trouble, I protect my peace.

I did and there were times it was just too much to deal with, he had no family or friends so I had to handle him all by myself and I never dealt with an alcoholic before. But overall I don't regret the time we spent together,  i learned a lot from him.

No. I used to be one and no one tried to work with me or give me a chance and for good reason. You only have yourself to blame and get you out of the hole your in. I was never the abusive type or anything like that, just constantly blamed the trauma my parents/the world inflicted me, I was cynical, jealous, flaky and careless. I was going no where and couldn’t maintain a relationship for the life of me. 

I would never bother putting up with anyone like that, tho I do sympathize. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.