Mariah Carey $20 Million AIWFC Copyright-Infringement Case Dropped

James_Dean

A $20 million copyright-infringement case filed by a Mississippi songwriter against Mariah Carey her songwriting partner on the 1994 holiday classic and recurring chart-topper “All I Want for Christmas Is You” has been dropped.

Andy Stone initially filed the lawsuit against Carey and her co-writer Walter Afanasieff in June but pulled his claim against Carey on Tuesday. Stone was seeking damages of no less than $20 million for alleged copyright infringement pertaining solely to the song’s matching titles, according to a report by Rolling Stone.

In his original lawsuit, Stone said he recorded and released a song titled ‘All I Want For Christmas Is You’ under the moniker Vince Vance And The Valiants in 1989. His accusation called out the artist and her co-writer for willfully infringing his copyright of the song (he claimed they had made a “derivative” version of his song) and unjustly profiting from the track ever since. He also argued that the co-songwriters were aware of Stone’s 1989 track because it had “extensive airplay” during the 1993 Christmas season.

Stone’s attorneys voluntarily dismissed the case, meaning the plaintiff can refile the suit in the future, but as Rolling Stone points out: Stone is unlikely to receive the $20 million-dollar prize he was bargaining for on the count that there are currently 177 copyrighted songs with the title ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You.’ :rip:

MAW (Mariah always wins)

gjL4KXy.gif

• ATRL Moderator

Mariah Always Wins

gjL4KXy.gif

Horrible precedent for the well being of humankind :biblio:

We'll try again next year! And we're gonna double it to 40M, she better get ready

Auq8KAw.gif

As much as I hate song I'm glad Mariah won! :clap3:

Imagine thinking you can copyright and claim or own a song title :dies: is the fool unaware of the millions of songs with the same basic titles?

And to think these people sue for THAT much just because they know Mariah has the money? Like who comes up with that arbitrary number? Mariah’s smash hit song has really affected your livelihood THAT much? :gaycat6:

1 hour ago, CottageHore said:

Imagine thinking you can copyright and claim or own a song title :dies: is the fool unaware of the millions of songs with the same basic titles?

And to think these people sue for THAT much just because they know Mariah has the money? Like who comes up with that arbitrary number? Mariah’s smash hit song has really affected your livelihood THAT much? :gaycat6:

im sure he is very aware! lol this is an obvious attempt at cashing in on the consistent revival the song gets every year

27 minutes ago, yonsé said:

im sure he is very aware! lol this is an obvious attempt at cashing in on the consistent revival the song gets every year

Still, he had no case.

From Billboard:

Though the two songs share an identical name and single lyric, that’s where the similarities pretty much end. And that name is hardly unique: records at the U.S. Copyright Office show many other songs with the name “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” including a number from before either Carey or Vance’s songs were written.

“The only similarity he claims is in the title of the song, not the music or lyrics,” Paul Fakler, a veteran music litigator at the law firm Mayer Brown, told Billboard this summer. “Words and short phrases are not protectable under copyright law, and there are dozens of other songs with that same title.”

16 minutes ago, Itsjustalamb said:

Still, he had no case.

From Billboard:

Though the two songs share an identical name and single lyric, that’s where the similarities pretty much end. And that name is hardly unique: records at the U.S. Copyright Office show many other songs with the name “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” including a number from before either Carey or Vance’s songs were written.

“The only similarity he claims is in the title of the song, not the music or lyrics,” Paul Fakler, a veteran music litigator at the law firm Mayer Brown, told Billboard this summer. “Words and short phrases are not protectable under copyright law, and there are dozens of other songs with that same title.”

of course he didnt 

Better luck next time!

spacer.png

Well get those streams I guess :nicole:

On 11/2/2022 at 6:00 PM, Zaynsus said:

The Grinch tried to steal Christmas and failed

Nobody-Sausage-3.thumb.gif.361d2ac103620

You're profile pic is so incredibly high definition. It's mesmerizing. 

I wonder if she countersued to cover for damages incurred from defending against a frivolous lawsuit. Or if the Queen of Christmas was kind enough to gift him with just having to endure the shame of pursuing such a silly vendetta.

xMC6m1e.gif

On 11/3/2022 at 3:11 AM, TheVelvetFg said:

He deserved to win. Sad that a thief like her can profit off his song each year by forcing malls to play hers 

Says the jennifer affleck stan :toofunny2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.