PS Plus loses 1.9 million subscribers since revamp in June

blackout77

In its latest set of financial results, Sony has revealed that PlayStation Plus lost nearly 2 million subscribers between July and September 2022, following its relaunch in June.

The number of people subscribing to the service fell from 47.3 million to 45.4 million after Sony added tiers to the service, which at its most basic level offers online gaming, additional features like cloud saves, and a handful of free games a month. The new tiers provide access to a large catalog of PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 games at Extra level, and to classic games and game streaming at the Premium level.

It's bad but not the end of the world because the service could regain with the holiday season coming, GOW:R, and the stock issue finally getting better

The true test of the revamped PlayStation Plus will be to see whether subscriber numbers bounce back in line with the expected increase in PS5 sales and overall active users in the near future. We’ll find out in three months’ time.

So should Sony be worried about losing more subscribers? Or do you think they'll start coming back in the next few months?

Source

Glad the PS community is sending a signal over the fraudulent price tiers. Wish Nintendo's would do the same since their online service is terrible (but also cheap).

Oop. I stopped my PS Plus subscription too. I don’t wanna be playing PS1 games and it just pales in comparison to Gamepass. A PC to me is just looking better and better, aside from the astronomical upfront cost.

The Playstation Plus revamp is honestly so confusing - also the free games of the month are consistently absolute TRASH bar a few exceptions. 

I literally only have it so I can play haggard The Last of Us factions (multiplayer) games over and over and grin.

They will more than likely rebound from this so no big deal.

They’re are missing out on all of these classics to stream and play :redface:

Ps plus had a 25% increase in revenue :rip:

Most subscriptions are decreasing now that Covid isn’t a thing. 

playstation just had the strongest Q2 ever for a console manufacturer lmao

Well most F2P games like Fortnite, Apex legends and Warzone dont require ps plus so it makes sense. :michael: I do think its still worth the price though. 

56 minutes ago, ToxDust said:

Glad the PS community is sending a signal over the fraudulent price tiers. Wish Nintendo's would do the same since their online service is terrible (but also cheap).

I mean 45 million is still a lot. :skull: 

Kii, I actually upgraded my tier since the update and I’m far more satisfied than I was with basic subscription and it wasn’t even that more expensive while they keep expanding the catalogue with games I like. Not interested in the highest one tho

Edited by BlackoutZone

1 hour ago, ToxDust said:

God of War and Re4 are coming. 2m is negligent. 

I'm keeping my basic subscription because I still have lots of games to play that I bought before the revamp and little time to actually play them so having a huge catalogue of games available would overwhelm me :redface:

50 minutes ago, tiagol88 said:

Ps plus had a 25% increase in revenue :rip:

Most subscriptions are decreasing now that Covid isn’t a thing. 

playstation just had the strongest Q2 ever for a console manufacturer lmao

Thank you, I was just about to say, these articles are click-bait because a subscriber loss doesn't matter if revenue increased with it. Same thing for every "mass exodus" of netflix subscribers when their ARR increases everytime. :rip:

I stopped getting another PS Plus subscription during that time period too because I would usually buy one during the Days of Play sale. PS Plus wasn't discounted though so I didn't buy a new subscription because it's not worth the full price imo :michael:

Yea their revenue increased so they dgaf, especially because if you’ve been paying attention to this stuff for years they usually float between 45m-50m. They are pretty much at their market cap for PS+. It’s just about how they can get the most money out of the users, which they just rolled out in June :rip: 

I actually wish this was bad (for them) because the tier **** is AWFUL, the top tier is a joke, they don’t even regularly release games for it. Like…?

This probably put the smallest dent in their pockets. They'll be fine.

18 hours ago, JonginBey said:

This probably put the smallest dent in their pockets. They'll be fine.

Their revenue actually went up. Subscriptions for just about everything are down because the U.S.’s recession is finally forcing some people to re-enter the workforce (meaning they don’t need as many subscriptions at home).

3 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

B...but PS Plus :ahh:

I’m interested to see when this will actually start to play out. November is always Sony’s and Microsoft’s strongest month, but so far only Microsoft has a healthy supply out there. I wonder if Sony is waiting for Black Friday.

1 hour ago, Eternium said:

I’m interested to see when this will actually start to play out. November is always Sony’s and Microsoft’s strongest month, but so far only Microsoft has a healthy supply out there. I wonder if Sony is waiting for Black Friday.

PS5 was the best selling console this past week even in Japan. I'd say stock has to be even healthier everywhere else. 

They will have a God of War bundle, there's also the COD one and we know these will fly off shelves (if they get there)

10 hours ago, tiagol88 said:

PS5 was the best selling console this past week even in Japan. I'd say stock has to be even healthier everywhere else. 

They will have a God of War bundle, there's also the COD one and we know these will fly off shelves (if they get there)

That’s because Nintendo is having even worse stock issues than them and what they do have, they’re holding back for Pokemon. The Switch will be back at #1 easily thanks to the Pokemon OLED model, but now they’re going to struggle, too, because they’re having their next major stock drought (2017, 2020 and now 2022).

I would expect Sony will take the full month of November. Their earnings report said that they had produced a high number of consoles and they didn’t put them out last quarter seeing as they only did 3.3M(?) consoles shipped. Nintendo’s just going to do their yearly MK8 bundle again which means they’re going to just coast and take the month of December, instead.

On 11/4/2022 at 1:31 AM, arceus said:

Nintendo always wins 

Rarely lmao. Apart from the Wii and the Switch (we can assume it will surpass the PS4), they’ve always lost to Sony in the home console market. 

Edited by gloamingtheplain

19 hours ago, Eternium said:

That’s because Nintendo is having even worse stock issues than them and what they do have, they’re holding back for Pokemon. The Switch will be back at #1 easily thanks to the Pokemon OLED model, but now they’re going to struggle, too, because they’re having their next major stock drought (2017, 2020 and now 2022).

I would expect Sony will take the full month of November. Their earnings report said that they had produced a high number of consoles and they didn’t put them out last quarter seeing as they only did 3.3M(?) consoles shipped. Nintendo’s just going to do their yearly MK8 bundle again which means they’re going to just coast and take the month of December, instead.

You always have an excuse when Nintendo drops, but when Sony drops you always say “floppppppp” even though they’ve literally sold all their stock :rip: 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.