Kit Connor: Heartstopper fans forced me to come out

Solaria

2 hours ago, Mr. Mendes said:

He was getting accused of queerbaiting because he plays a bisexual teen on Heartstopper and yet said he didn't feel comfortable discussing his sexuality

so people assumed he was straight and pandering to queer people for attention. It was amplified when he was rumored to be dating a girl (which, all signs actually point to them not being together) and the backlash got to be so bad that he had to exit social media for time. 

He's young, still probably figuring out exactly who he is, and I'd imagine seeing the conversation persisting in his absence has made him feel as if if he didn't come out, then it was going to be over for him. Add to that the teen fanbase of the show saying that they felt betrayed by him because they felt represented and then seeing he may be straight made them feel unseen again and he's probably been carrying a lot of guilt for simply asking for his privacy. 

2 hours ago, Cloy said:

Homophobia exists for the rich as well.  No one wants to feel excluded from a community. That's why people do not come out no matter their status in life. BUT playing gay when you're closeted and then complaining about being outed is ridiculous. He could have not taken the role or he could have established early on that he is straight but an ally to the community and wanted to portray the character for gay awareness or something. 

Oh so he wasn’t even bullied for being “gay” like Miss Mendes is :skull: Work. 

Well I feel bad for him cause he’s young and it’s probably hard to navigate but most people receive the opposite (told they’re gay before they’re ready to come out) which comes with actual societal scrutiny. Being seen as straight when you’re not is definitely a better scenario since no one outside of Twitter cares about queerbaiting. He should just delete the app until he’s ready to process all this and confide in his loved ones for now. And people should stop bullying in general for dumb reasons like this. But it definitely feels like champagne problems to me at the end of the day. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anti-bitch

• Bloo

• Lovett

• BlueTimberwolf

If he deleted twitter who was "harassing" him? I don't seems a little cry wolfy to me.

Some of y’all are too grown and are here attacking an 18 year old for his sexuality/labels :deadbanana2:

when he says he’s unlabeled y’all get mad, and now that he stated his sexuality yall get mad…. again?  truly miserable behavior :katie:

OT: that show’s fan base has always been deranged, idk why girls/teenagers always get so obsessed with gay shows and act this weird 

He never had to do this in the first place and I understand him as another 18 year old bi dude, hopefully people get off his ass now

9 minutes ago, coolblue said:

that's what they say in the beginning 

ah yes, the "bi is a phase" trope makes a tired and unsurprising appearance

14 minutes ago, coolblue said:

:deadbanana2: Bi people exist. Get over it

Edited by NoOneDiesFromLove

2 hours ago, Duanielipa said:

I feel bad for him obviously but at the same time who actually “forced” him to come out. Terminally online 14 year olds on Twitter calling him out for “queer baiting” should just be ignored. He should just do a Dua and stay off Twitter and ignore all their opinions.

Literally this imo but it’s a generational issue more than something central to just this guy. I wouldn’t hop on his page to say this cause I’m sure his distress and feelings are genuine but people are actually forced out of the closet with severe consequences in many cases, so it’s hard not to see this as a “just log out” situation. 

Bless his soul though, I can’t imagine having to come out at his age under this type of controversy, but to say he was forced is a bit of a reach. He made a decision to smooth it over and that’s kind of the end of it.

Can someone explain how he was "forced" to come out as... bi? :toofunny2:

edit: Read the full 6 pages. Ok? The show is really good, though.

Edited by Ice Cream Skies

People are way too caught up and obsessed with tv shows and movies. It’s creepy. 

3 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Sorry, but we need labels. Someone wanting to be “unlabeled” can literally mean anything from bicurious to 99% gay. We need concrete ways to define ourselves as a community. 

It’s none of your business. 

2 hours ago, Bloo said:

The fans felt lied when a boy who played a bi character starts to maybe date a girl in the real world? Maybe they can refamiliarize themselves with what bisexuality is? The fans were dumb and unjustified. 

They should also go out and touch grass. The fact that they can’t tell fiction from reality is insane. It’s just a tv show. Watch and enjoy the show and go live your own lives. They’re basically stalking actors, living through them and wanting to dictate their lives. That’s beyond creepy. 

tbf, he wasn't "forced" to come out

there will always be fans with bizarre criticism, a celebrity needs to know when to avoid it

There’s a campaign for the production to remove him from the cast because he’s dating a woman. 

And most of this didn’t came from 14 years old fans.

Obsessed woke gays who felt they deserved to know everyone’s sexuality and could not believe that bisexuals do exists also came for him and harassed him for that. 

3 hours ago, Cloy said:

BTW this whole rise of the fake bis is hilarious. Just like the dude who dated Olivia Rodriguez lying. My thing is, what is it doing for your career? The gays like straight guys anyway. So even when they get through dragging you for playing gay, they secretly love it. Just keep your mouth shut like Harry Styles does while necking your girlfriend (s) in candid shots. 

Or just mind your business? It’s not hard. 

I’m still stuck on someone saying he’s the most beautiful acting guy to debut in recent years…. WHO? WHERE? :biblio:

4 hours ago, Cloy said:

BTW this whole rise of the fake bis is hilarious. Just like the dude who dated Olivia Rodriguez lying. My thing is, what is it doing for your career? The gays like straight guys anyway. So even when they get through dragging you for playing gay, they secretly love it. Just keep your mouth shut like Harry Styles does while necking your girlfriend (s) in candid shots. 

Off topic, how is your avi even allowed lol

why now when i've seen actually less people assuming his sexuality. it was bad during the release of Heartstopper S1 but he could've ignored it now especially since he's "off social media".

i feel like he's been advised by his team to "come out as bi" because Heartstopper S2 is coming :skull: 

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Relampago. said:

Oh so he wasn’t even bullied for being “gay” like Miss Mendes is :skull: Work. 

Well I feel bad for him cause he’s young and it’s probably hard to navigate but most people receive the opposite (told they’re gay before they’re ready to come out) which comes with actual societal scrutiny. Being seen as straight when you’re not is definitely a better scenario since no one outside of Twitter cares about queerbaiting. He should just delete the app until he’s ready to process all this and confide in his loved ones for now. And people should stop bullying in general for dumb reasons like this. But it definitely feels like champagne problems to me at the end of the day. 

No one was calling for Shawn to be removed from Spotify for queerbaiting. Large portions of Heartstopper’s “fans” were calling for him to be recast since they didn’t think his casting was authentic because they assumed him to be straight.

• ATRL Moderator
4 hours ago, Cloy said:

He's lying, POPTART. Straight men are good at lying to get what they want from gays, which is usually money and fame. They also know that things like this will draw backlash and they will say they're fluid to avoid the heat yet you never see them with a boyfriend but you've seen them with plenty of girlfriends. I'm not talking about this kid, I'm talking in general. Lets not act like this type of song and dance has not become widespread. Onlyfans is based on it. Heck, the *****graphy industry. 

If you know there is going to be backlash for taking a role, especially one that is not significant, why take it? Cause he wanted a job and a check. That's all. 

Moreover, how can you be outed for playing a gay character if you're already closeted? LOL!  Don't closeted people avoid gay anything like the plague? Someone isn't being honest here 

Yeah, bi-erasure is jaded, exhausting, and unwelcome. Enjoy the ZTP. 

Poor baby. He's literally a kid. People (including entitled gay b+tches) can be so disgusting. 

Same goes for everyone asking Harry Styles to suck a d+ck on camera or go f+ck himself. Ugly af. 

Not surprising given how unhinged twitter stans are in general. Imagine obsessing over an 18 year old's sexuality just like that, like get a grip already

2 hours ago, coolblue said:

And then people start wondering why he hadn't come out as bi. Or any bi dude, for that matter :coffee2:

1 hour ago, Ice Cream Skies said:

Can someone explain how he was "forced" to come out as... bi? :toofunny2:

People saw pictures of him and his rumored girlfriend Maia Reficco holding hands and sh+t at Disney World and other places, and they started to say he was being dishonest because he said a couple of months ago that he didn't want to label himself. Yes, sometimes the "I don't want to put myself inside a box" argument can be interpreted as queerbaiting, but we're talking about an 18 years old. There's no need to harass him (or his girlfriend) just because he's the star of a queer show. It's rude and pathetic. 

Edited by Blade Runner

• ATRL Moderator
8 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

People saw pictures of him and his rumored girlfriend Maia Reficco holding hands and sh+t at Disney World and other places, and they started to say he was being dishonest because he said a couple of months ago that he didn't want to label himself. Yes, sometimes the "I don't want to put myself inside a box" argument can be interpreted as queerbaiting, but we're talking about an 18 years old. There's no need to harass him (or his girlfriend) just because he's the star of a queer show. It's rude and pathetic. 

The way the queerbaiting term has been changed in recent years is insane. The term was originally created to call out fictional stories that would have queer-adjacent characters that weren’t explicitly depicted as queer but presented as such via subtext to pick up queer audiences. A good example is Xena and Gabrielle from Xena: Warrior Princess. So many people followed their relationship where the show heavilty teased them having a romantic/sexual relationship but it was never explicitly confirmed—while the characters would have explicit relationships with men. Nonetheless, because lesbian representation was so nonexistent, lesbian women really identified with the characters and the relationship became a widely-regard lesbian portrayal in the 90s despite it never being explicitly confirmed. That is a ironclad case of queerbaiting. The Wikipedia definition below:

Queerbaiting is a marketing technique for fiction and entertainment in which creators hint at, but then do not depict, same-sex romance or other LGBTQ+ representation.

This obsession with individual actors’ real-life identities is absurd. I get it with trans people because cisgender men playing transgender women by putting on a dress is extremely harmful by portraying transwomen as the punchline of a cheap joke and reinforces the idea that transwomen are just men playing dress-up. The dynamics at play are very different for sexual orientation and this obsession with purity in this regard does not benefit anyone. Kit isn’t the only member of the cast to face harsh treatment from toxic online fans. It’s really unfortuante how much members in the community (and self-proclaimed allies) have squandered a show with really solid LGBTQ+ representation.

Sorry but both his tweet trying home in on being "18 years old" and his defenders calling him "just a kid" are sending :deadbanana4: He is a full adult. 

That point is even more embarrassing when you remember the people who were "harassing" him are 14 year olds on Twitter :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.