Kit Connor: Heartstopper fans forced me to come out

Solaria

16 minutes ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

"Queer" doesn't mean anything in 2022. Either you have same-sex relationships, or you don't.  Any reasonable person would question if he was queerbaiting when he refuses to "label" himself and only dates girls.

If someone believes queerness as an identity doesn't mean anything, why would they bother about queerbaiting in the first place? :huh:

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anti-bitch

• Bloo

• Lovett

• BlueTimberwolf

The people who pushed him out of the closet were fans of the show, who also happen to be teenagers, since its a teen targeted program. Teens don’t know any better. They project themselves way too much onto these celebrities, and they want them to live up to their fantasy of being such character in real life. Thats messy and awful but its been like this for decades, which is why it is so hard to break from the teen breakout role/moment and continue as a full grown up

there’s the issue of getting out of the closet without having figured yourself out (thats not my case, i knew since I was a kid and accepted that, but was the case of good amount of of friends, especially bis that are usually in straight situationships), but the true issue, in this particular context, is that these people don’t know how to be teen stars and they lack the management for that. social media changed the environment 100% and teens were already ruthless back then in the early days. There’s a reason the likes of Olivia Rodrigo, Millie Bobby Brown and others are not 24/7 playing the social media game and goin back and forth with people these days. They post (or their team) and keep on movin. At best a quick reply and a couple kf random likes. They ignore the fuss and continue to do their job, which is what keeps fans hooked on. They get a LOT of hate and they pay no attention. He’s been badly advised by whoever manages him.

Edited by liquiddiamonds

Just now, Bloo said:

The fans felt lied when a boy who played a bi character starts to maybe date a girl in the real world? Maybe they can refamiliarize themselves with what bisexuality is? The fans were dumb and unjustified. 

:clap3:

And the members in this thread blaming this on "straight girls obsessed with gays" or whatever are deliberately choosing to ignore that there's a large percentage of gays that are deeply biphobic. 

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

The fans felt lied when a boy who played a bi character starts to maybe date a girl in the real world? Maybe they can refamiliarize themselves with what bisexuality is? The fans were dumb and unjustified. 

Then that means he was already out.  :michael:    What is he complaining about?  Either he was already out and they weren't lied to, or he was in the closet and there were.  You can't have it both ways.  He never claimed the director was lying.  

5 minutes ago, vuelve88 said:

His character is bi. His character clarifies multiple times that he is bi. :gaycat6:

THIS. The ignorance in this thread with their bi-erasure agenda. 

Sad for him. But the moment he perfectly executed that scene by watching Orlando Bloom & Keira Knightley, I knew it. But yeah, people should come out by their own choice. Sorry this happened to him

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

Then that means he was already out.  :michael:    What is he complaining about?  Either he was already out and they weren't lied to, or he was in the closet and there were.  You can't have it both ways.  He never claimed the director was lying.  

People shouldn’t be forced to verbally come out when they’re not ready. Starting campaigns to have him removed from the show because you stupidly assume he’s straight is wholly inappropriate. Not sure why this is such a difficult concept for many. 

3 hours ago, Scars said:

If someone believes queerness as an identity doesn't mean anything, why would they bother about queerbaiting in the first place? :huh:

I guess the correct term is gaybaiting.  Pretending to be gay to increase your fanbase and get positive press, while not actually dating the same sex.  

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

People shouldn’t be forced to verbally come out when they’re not ready. Starting campaigns to have him removed from the show because you stupidly assume he’s straight is wholly inappropriate. Not sure why this is such a difficult concept for many. 

The director outed him.  Would the show be as successful if he wasn't LGBT? Probably not.  He chose to ride the wave knowing all of his fans assumed he was gay, and then tried pull the "unlabeled" card.  That's not going to fly in 2022.  

1 hour ago, anti-***** said:

I think the future really will be no labels and we just blend into other society. I think labels and categories just create friction between people, not just in this topic.

Jesus the ignorance :rip:

Say it to the Qataris who are being ABUSED by state authorities or the recent RAID & persecution in Malaysia. And you're telling people to not label and categorize themselves? People are still fighting to make the community visible in order to have basic human rights. If you're not labelling or categorizing yourself, then what the hell are you doing? Trying to carefully blend into the society and wait for your rights to magically appear?

Really crappy situation. This discourse around his personal life has been terrible and he has been treated awful. The fact that some people still don’t get it is truly what proves his point. 

Just now, Exzime. said:

Jesus the ignorance :rip:

Say it to the Qataris who are being ABUSED by state authorities or the recent RAID & persecution in Malaysia. And you're telling people to not label and categorize themselves? People are still fighting to make the community visible in order to have basic human rights. If you're not labelling or categorizing yourself, then what the hell are you doing? Trying to carefully blend into the society and wait for your rights to magically appear?

I said that you can identify in a label if you want to. But also not if you don't feel like it. And Kit's from the UK so things are way ahead there ofc. I should have clarified that I meant the Western queer experience. I understand the safety and reasons in finding out that you are not alone through a label.

• ATRL Moderator
4 minutes ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

The director outed him.  Would the show be as successful if he wasn't LGBT? Probably not.  He chose to ride the wave knowing all of his fans assumed he was gay, and then tried pull the "unlabeled" card.  That's not going to fly in 2022.  

Do you really think the showmakers made that statement without the consent of all the cast? Honestly? Assuming Kit felt uncomfortable with that statement from the showmakers is a reach. The fans continued to still harass and campaign against him and the show. So, yes, the fans should have listened to that comment and left Kit alone. I agree. Had they done that and not campaigned against him, then his coming out process would have been at a speed he was more comfortable with rather than being shoved out of the closet. Again, not sure why this is so difficult to grasp. 

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Do you really think the showmakers made that statement without the consent of all the cast? Honestly? Assuming Kit felt uncomfortable with that statement from the showmakers is a reach. The fans continued to still harass and campaign against him and the show. So, yes, the fans should have listened to that comment and left Kit alone. I agree. Had they done that and not campaigned against him, then his coming out process would have been at a speed he was more comfortable with rather than being shoved out of the closet. Again, not sure why this is so difficult to grasp. 

It's difficult to grasp, because if he consented to the statement then he consented to coming out.  He was already out.  All he had to say to his fans was that he was already out. He wanted  to play both sides, which is why he chose to be "unlabeled".   His entire twitter rant hinges on him being uncomfortable with the statement that caused the confusion. No statement, no twitter mob. 

I think at that age, a lot of gays are still figuring themselves out, especially those who haven't fully acted out what's inside them.

But the community is just toxic in general, and project their experience to everyone. Its just not going to sort itself out, not anytime soon.

For his good, I think he should quit the industry after this show, and maybe experience life first, and not publicly through everything surrounding the show.

Edited by harwee

2 hours ago, anti-***** said:

Having no labels should be allowed and accepted too.

Not if you’re wanting to reap the social and career brownie points of playing a labeled character

this may sound a little ignorant but ever since i saw this the only thing i'm thinking about was how exactly he was forced. he literally starred in an MLM tv show as the main protagonist's boyfriend who is also bisexual, if he fulfilled that role as a straight man that would've come off as nothing but queerbaiting to me even if it was behind a character.

don't get me wrong it's still awful that he's been "forced" to come out but imo this doesn't seem forced at all, if anything he made his sexuality fairly open by fulfilling his role in heartstopper (literally the only one he is known for too), but god forbid he finds out that people of all ages sexualise him

I mean, twitter stans are the worst we been knew and I feel bad for him but as a celebrity you should know you do not owe these hacks anything. "Coming out" because fans has been harassing you shouldn't be the reason you come out. I don't think there's anything wrong with coming out either but if this is what he feels who are we to judge. 

22 minutes ago, harwee said:

I think at that age, a lot of gays are still figuring themselves out, especially those who haven't fully acted out what's inside them.

But the community is just toxic in general, and project their experience to everyone. Its just not going to sort itself out, not anytime soon.

For his good, I think he should quit the industry after this show, and maybe experience life first, and not publicly through everything surrounding the show.

He’s not gay, he’s bi

didn't he already come out as "queer" or no labels, how is that any different from basically saying you're bi?

2 minutes ago, coolblue said:

feeling sad for him. Anyways is it the hot one or the other one? i dont even remember.... :rip:

it's not that hard to google the name

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.