Kit Connor: Heartstopper fans forced me to come out

Solaria

Just now, RihFenty20 said:

I don’t believe him tbh. This is just to smooth things over with the fans so he can keep his bag (likely at the behest of his management). Watch him exclusively date women indefinitely :lakitu:

Yep, the Harry Styles and Lady Gaga approach to attracting queer audiences

Don’t get me wrong, both have done positive things for the community, but what they say they are (fluid, bi, “it’s not important to me”) doesn’t actually line up with their real world dating practices. It just feels empty and performative. You can be allies without making your sexuality seem more mysterious/exotic than it is, and if you put yourself in a queer space, you have to expect those questions. It’s an underrepresented community looking for authenticity. 

And before we go there, miss me with all the “just because they only date the opposite sex doesn’t mean they’re not queer!” bs. Actions speak louder than words and if they really think there’s nothing wrong with it, what’s holding them back? :cm:

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anti-bitch

• Bloo

• Lovett

• BlueTimberwolf

15 minutes ago, DanyelP23 said:

I should sue for copyright!

You will be sued if you don't say the name of the video:chick1:

Being forced to come out is de-humanizing 

Putting an unwanted tag or label on yourself to comfort others is really really de-humanizing

So many things wrong with his situation.

“Coming out” needs to go away forever

Is basically explaining a very personal side of yourself to people whose not their business.

I just rewatched Heartstopper yesterday :cries: I hope he has a great support system.. teenage years are messy

• ATRL Moderator
1 minute ago, Trent W said:

Being forced to come out is de-humanizing 

Putting an unwanted tag or label on yourself to comfort others is really really de-humanizing

So many things wrong with his situation.

“Coming out” needs to go away forever

Is basically explaining a very personal side of yourself to people whose not their business.

This. I’m openly gay and I generally hate the “coming out” process. I’d rather someone just find out second hand that I’m gay cause it’s so awkward and uncomfortable. No one is owed a coming out. 

This is in no small part due to the straight teen girls who stan the show, I don't deny that. 

But I cannot ignore that this is also in no small part due to the LGBTQ+ community as well, and as a member of the community it really makes me uncomfortable. To be a community that has spent decades preaching acceptance, understanding, and the freedom to be who you are with no boundaries, such large sections of the community do the exact opposite. 

They want queer representation but only in certain ways. They want people to be able to be queer but only if they get to know about it. They want people to be able to be queer but only in a way that personally makes sense to them. They want people to come out at a time that is comfortable for them and yet speculate endlessly to the point that they demand someone come out just so they have an answer. 

And that's not even to mention the bi-erasure of this whole controversy. It began because they thought he was dating a girl. As if that somehow means he cannot be queer? As if dating a girl erases queerness? As if because he is dating a girl, he has to be straight rather than bisexual. Bisexuality is only ever truly acknowledged when the person dates within the same sex, and it's disgusting. 

I feel horribly for him, truly. What should've been a special moment in his life has been tarnished all because people don't understand the concept of letting people do things on their own goddamn time. He wasn't ready and nobody cared. 

He should have probably just ignored the twitter mob, but i dont really know what happened there for him having to come out. Kinda sucks :/

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Carter said:

Exactly 

Could you please tell who is the man on your pfp?:chick1:

10 minutes ago, Gorgeous said:

What forced him to come out? A couple of tweets? He's acting as if they were forcing him like they did with Nikkie Tutorials which was sick. I'm not out of the closet so I would never star in a gay show if I didn't want to raise rumours about my sexuality, this situation screams drama queen to me. 

Then I'd suggest researching why this happened and maybe then you'd understand why this matters so much to him. He was indeed forced out of the closet because people couldn't allow someone who's essentially still a kid the space to breathe long enough to figure himself out. They needed to know right then right there or else they were going to see to it that his career was over. 

Why did he feel the need to address this, the internet is just noise he should have kept it to himself

51 minutes ago, BlueTimberwolf said:

Didn't the director of the show outright say all the actors were casted b/c they were LGBT?

Yes, the entire Heartstopper crew made sure to let people know this since day one, but when I brought that up here a few months ago, I got multiple quotes "dragging" me because I fell for the queerbait or whatever. There's still people on this thread literally saying he's faking his sexuality. 

There's rumors he's currently dating an actress, so people assumed he was straight and didn't want to confirm it because apparently bi men does not exist. :rip:

Edited by Scars

12 minutes ago, Bloo said:

People still denying his sexual orientation in this thread. We want more representation of our community in media and then we treat people who try to fill those roles like absolute garbage. It’s disturbing and unhelpful. 18 year olds are young, y’all. Many people still have to figure out themselves at that age. The fact many queer people seem to forget the challenge of coming out is astounding to me. I’m gay, I can only imagine how confusing it would be to figure out your sexuality if you’re bi/pan/etc. 

For those mocking the severity of this situation, there were a bunch of toxic losers trying to get him removed from the show and recast because he was “queerbaiting”. So, I understand why a kid felt pressured to lessen the pressure on a project he cares about.  

The only people in the wrong here are the idiots on the Internet. I hope Kit can overlook them and see the better side of the community that has been positively affected by the show. 

Thank you! I hate whenever **** like this happens people are constantly telling the target to get thicker skin or “grow a backbone”. How about you stop being a ******* ******* to teenagers you don’t even know :deadbanana4: I don’t watch this show and I didn’t know about this person until I saw viral tweets dragging within the past couple months and this behavior is so weird. Especially from GAY men. It’s like the minute some of you log on to the internet, you’re constantly trying to live out the mean girl fantasy that you couldn’t in high school. Get a ******* grip and have some ******* empathy for once. 

I mean if I was 18 and people had been having on and off intrusive discussions about my sexuality for 6 months, (with some even going as far as bullying someone I’m going out with constantly) I would also feel angry and forced to address it :michael: The fact that some of you seem confused about this is a bit strange but that’s just my opinion.

45 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Sorry, but we need labels. Someone wanting to be “unlabeled” can literally mean anything from bicurious to 99% gay. We need concrete ways to define ourselves as a community. 

lmao...maybe other ppls sexuality are no ones business but their own?

10 minutes ago, anti-***** said:

Yes, from the Netflix show Heartstopper.

Thanks.

Back on topic, that show is literally about queer teens, and he is the front liner. He basically revealed to the world that he was part of the LGBT because no way Netflix, a company that loves representation would put a heterosexual actor to play as a gay/bi teen.

He is bi,oh well, stopping acting like he will be tarred and feathered over this. He will be fine, and probably gonna get more roles from 'coming out'.

The lgbt community is toxic 

Harry Styles fangirls on twitter inserting him in this conversation, knew this would happen :toofunny3:

9 minutes ago, BOOMBAYAH said:

I have mixed feelings about this but I don’t think it’s that serious idk…most of the anxiety for queer people to come out has to do with their actual safety being on the line + alienation from society and their roots. He seems to be in a position where he has loving family, friends, millions of fans, and loads of money, so I don’t think coming out in his case is the same as the everyday queer person. And on top of that there’s no reason pressure for him to do so outside of weirdos on Twitter, lol. It does scream drama queen but he’s 18 so it makes sense I guess.

And?

He doesn’t owe anyone anything? No matter how much support he can have.

Coming out has become just wrong these days.

And did you read @Bloo’s post? He was forced to do it since some freaks were trying really hard.

7 minutes ago, TheCal said:

You will be sued if you don't say the name of the video:chick1:

Check PMs bestie!

gomezcircus-taehyung.thumb.gif.ea0a8210af31247b681aa13a128a7515.gif

OT: It is absolutely abhorrent and disgusting that he was forced to come out! The unhinged fans on twitter and other social media platforms should STOP harassing him!

boredtt.jpg.4396749972955efd51bdac91d5a3

I swear the Heartstopper fandom is the ******* worst. Their weird obsession with Kit’s sexuality since the show begun back in April(?) has been super creepy. These ******* need to get a life. I feel bad he had to come out this way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.