Thought on fat liberation?

Cloröx

Do you think this brings more harm than good? Share your opinion. Stay classy and please no trolling

I'm pretty sure fats are incredibly liberated already. :rip: emoji - literally.

Nearly 40% of American adults aged 20 and over are obese. 71.6% of adults aged 20 and over are overweight, including obesity. 

(- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2017-2018; Harvard School of Public Health, 2020).  

Let's bring back skinny.

MadonnasBoyfriend

She wore huge outfits that era glad that is ova. Produced at Donda high

Edited by MadonnasBoyfriend

I think there's a balance we can strike between being kind and respectful of those who are obese, while not promoting it as healthy. We can do both. 

1 minute ago, Tropical said:

I'm pretty sure fats are incredibly liberated already. :rip: emoji - literally.

Let's bring back skinny.

Bigger bodies are still stigmatized though. Fat people have been misdiagnosed, chastised and doctors have refused to run routine tests that could’ve detected cancer earlier if they hadn’t just told them to lose weight without further questioning. And according to research, 95% of people who attempt to lose weight fail, so society is not getting skinnier any time soon. 

Just now, HeavyMetalAura said:

I think there's a balance we can strike between being kind and respectful of those who are obese, while not promoting it as healthy. We can do both. 

I agree! People need to learn respect. No one should be bullied, discriminated, harassed for being overweight but we have got to stop acting like it’s the same thing as being POC or LGBT. You can always lose weight.

Just now, Cheers said:

You can always lose weight.

It’s really not that simple. 95% of people who attempt to lose weight can’t keep it off in the long run. Our metabolisms aren’t designed to keep weight off. Even long term lifestyle changes usually only produce modest differences in weight. 

I agree with the aspects of fat activism to respect fat people, to have fat people’s concerns respected in healthcare, etc.

I don’t agree with the aspects of fat activism that are increasingly becoming more extreme and saying things like “losing weight is fatphobic.” And I’m not exaggerating about that, at my university a group of fat activists literally tried to shut down a weight loss support group. :deadbanana4: 

5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Bigger bodies are still stigmatized though. Fat people have been misdiagnosed, chastised and doctors have refused to run routine tests that could’ve detected cancer earlier if they hadn’t just told them to lose weight without further questioning. And according to research, 95% of people who attempt to lose weight fail, so society is not getting skinnier any time soon. 

I really don't trust this statistic. What "attempt" did they make? Did they actually limit their calories? Did they actually exercise efficiently? Did they actually eat healthier foods? And what does "fail" mean? if they lost 5 pounds did they not technically succeed in losing weight? Even if they gained it back?

I don't like the promotion of the idea that it's impossible to lose weight because its just not true. Education about exercise and nutrition should be promoted, not the acceptance that people should just accept whatever size they are without making an effort

4 minutes ago, PrettyHurts said:

I really don't trust this statistic. What "attempt" did they make? Did they actually limit their calories? Did they actually exercise efficiently? Did they actually eat healthier foods? And what does "fail" mean? if they lost 5 pounds did they not technically succeed in losing weight? Even if they gained it back?

I don't like the promotion of the idea that it's impossible to lose weight because its just not true. Education about exercise and nutrition should be promoted, not the acceptance that people should just accept whatever size they are without making an effort

It’s not about what you like girl, it’s what has been found over and over by peer-reviewed studies. Caloric deficits usually produce modest results, and holistic health changes won’t turn a fat person skinny. 

6 minutes ago, PrettyHurts said:

:rip: do some research and look beyond your prejudice. if it were as easy as you think it is, don’t you think everyone would’ve just done it?

3 minutes ago, PrettyHurts said:

Agreed. It's a very specific angle that shifts the blame. No one is saying weight loss is easy, especially not me!

After all the conflicting nutritional, medical and exercise advice it boils down to one thing - you need to be in a calorific deficit in order to lose weight. You can't "try" to be in a calorific deficit, you either eat fewer calories than you burn and lose weight, or you do not and you stay the same weight or gain more weight.

18 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I think the forum being overtly men shows in these kinds of moments when anyone who actually holds any kind of real friendship with some kind of woman in their life should know just how common it is, especially for women, to go to the doctor, complain about a health issue, and be suggested "losing some weight" before anything else. :toofunny3:

Literally anyone rushing to the internet because they just have such a passion for preaching about the health implications of excess body fat is masking a hatred or projecting a kind of resentment.

Edited by Communion

8 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

It’s really not that simple. 95% of people who attempt to lose weight can’t keep it off in the long run. Our metabolisms aren’t designed to keep weight off. Even long term lifestyle changes usually only produce modest differences in weight. 

Losing weight is difficult but not impossible. The problem is people promoting fad diets that do not work. There are plenty of people who have lost weight and kept it off.

1 minute ago, Cheers said:

Losing weight is difficult but not impossible. The problem is people promoting fad diets that do not work. There are plenty of people who have lost weight and kept it off.

It’s not plenty though. Surgically shrinking the stomach is one of the only solutions that has had long term results for most populations. You guys can’t just focus on the 2-5% of people who manage to keep weight off and ignore that for most it is almost impossible, and most people can’t live under an extreme caloric deficit for their entire lives without dealing with additional health issues or developing disordered eating. 

5 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I’m not sure what this is supposed to mean. Our metabolisms will use the energy we get from food in the most efficient way it can to keep our bodies functioning. If we have extra energy left over then that gets stored as fat. If you’re not burning the calories you’ve ingested you will put on weight. Simple as that. 

Western sedentary lifestyle + an abundance of high calorie food is why so many people are overweight. It is difficult to stay in shape but I think it’s misleading to say people can’t keep it off. They can, they just fall back into old eating or exercise habits. 

However, it’s nobody’s business but their own if someone is fat.

Just now, Both Sides Now said:

I’m not sure what this is supposed to mean. Our metabolisms will use the energy we get from food in the most efficient way it can to keep our bodies functioning. If we have extra energy left over then that gets stored as fat. If you’re not burning the calories you’ve ingested you will put on weight. Simple as that. 

Western sedentary lifestyle + an abundance of high calorie food is why so many people are overweight. It is difficult to stay in shape but I think it’s misleading to say people can’t keep it off. They can, they just fall back into old eating or exercise habits. 

However, it’s nobody’s business but their own if someone is fat.

Okay, but the problems with Western diets are also a matter of economics. People who are poor and can only afford cheap, calorie dense foods can’t afford to eat varied, healthy diets or gym memberships. 

No one is stopping them to walk 10-15 km daily and stop ordering from dominos/Wendy's/Mcdonalds etc 

Eat the salad, lift weights and walk 20 km daily.. you will be Kim K level skinny in no time 

1 minute ago, coolblue said:

No one is stopping them to walk 10-15 km daily and stop ordering from dominos/Wendy's/Mcdonalds etc 

Eat the salad, lift weights and walk 20 km daily.. you will be Kim K level skinny in no time 

Not you comparing average people to a millionaire who can afford dieticians, lipo and personal trainers. :deadbanana4:

Just now, GraceRandolph said:

Okay, but the problems with Western diets are also a matter of economics. People who are poor and can only afford cheap, calorie dense foods can’t afford to eat varied, healthy diets or gym memberships. 

Yeah, definitely.

Also, people are overworked with no free time. I know a lot of people who lost weight over covid lockdowns because they had time to cook better meals, get out for exercise etc. 

(Although, some people put on weight through covid because they lost their daily structure.)

Again, clarifying I don’t think people need to excuse their weight to anyone. 

6 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

People who are poor and can only afford cheap, calorie dense foods can’t afford to eat varied, healthy diets or gym memberships. 

I think being time poor, or lacking cooking / nutritional education, is more pertinent than price tbh, how much really is a bag of carrots, apples, a cabbage, a bag of rice etc.

2 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Again, clarifying I don’t think people need to excuse their weight to anyone. 

Agreed they don't - but like, thin people should be able to say they don't want to get fat in the same way they don't want to get sun burn, toothache, ingrown toenails etc. Because it's not as healthy, and it doesn't look good. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.