So is ‘Lover’ officially Taylor’s worst album?

Itz_Dani!

Lover   

93 members have voted

1. 1. Is it her worst album?

• Yes, can’t believe she thought to create Lover let alone release it
    • No. She has made worse.

her debut is worse but lover is bloated and has too many filler-y songs, also the tracklist is a mess

MIDnights is cohesive, consistent, the highs aren't that brilliant but it's an excellent album, should've been less jack and more dessner or someone else (the hip-hop lavender haze producers). 

Lover took a very long time for me to accept. I had the same issues with Lover that I had with ARTPOP. I found both to be a tremendous dip in quality compared to the album that was before it.

reputation, at the time, was my favorite album she released and I felt the albums were getting better and better from Speak Now onward (which I thought was really good). I felt it was too upbeat bubblegum pop, which wasn't a sound I had any inclination to listen to. And since there were so many tracks on the album and I am an album person, I was more critical of it.

The songs reminiscent to Midnights on Lover are what I enjoy the most, even today. The Archer, Miss American and the Heartbreak Prince, Cornelia Street, False God, Afterglow, and Daylight are the tracks I find the most enjoyment from.

Over time, I grew to like a lot of the more upbeat songs on the album - but they are never songs I have any desire to go to (that includes Cruel Summer). But Lover has the most songs out of her entire discography that I really don't like in a single album. Paper Rings, London Boy, ME! are probably the worst songs she's put out (Paris belongs with them) and are all instant skips. Combine that with how I feel about the more upbeat pop songs on the album, leads me to not revisit the album. 

For perspective, my favorite tracks on reputation are Don't Blame Me, So It Goes..., Dancing With Our Hands Tied, Dress and Call It What You Want.

What I like most about Midnights is that, sonically most of the tracks are a collection of sounds similar to the tracks from Lover and reputation that I enjoy the most. Unsurprisingly, the songs that don't fit in that generalization are lower in my rankings for Midnights. Karma and Paris come to mind, except Karma isn't a skip for me. It's just a song I'm not inclined to listen to out of the context of the album.

Edited by Gladiator

Always was, always will be. Literally no redeemable qualities whatsoever outside of the Reputation rejects. The album lacks direction, drags on, is bloated, visibly half-assed, and inconsistent throughout. There's really not a single strong song on Lover in any capacity, and the album objectively has some of the lowest lows out of any pop album.

Debut is no longer the worst when you consider its impeccable songwriting and the fact that it was entirely done by a 15 year old.

Reputation sweetie…

No it's still her debut

But the worst post-1989 album is definitely reputation 

1 hour ago, Taemira said:

Lover is infinitely better than MIDnights. ME! alone obliterates the entirety of it.

49 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Maybe if Taylor Swift and Midnights cease to exist. 

27 minutes ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Lover devours midnights :biblio:

1 minute ago, dussel_06 said:

Reputation sweetie…

You can always count on ATRL to deliver some of the WORST, most unhinged takes known to man. :clap3:

No, her mixtape is her worst one.

I'd dare to say Lover is slightly better than Midnights.

I've read all the replies in this thread and if most people in here agree, that Midnights is a pretty mediocre album why is it slaying the charts left and right?

Wouldn't it drastically decline in streams per day? 

I really wonder this. Is Taylors name alone so powerful, that people stream this album endlessly while it's not even that good?

I mean I keep replaying it myself, because I -kind of- enjoy it and I want to figure out if I miss something or if it's a grower. 

1 hour ago, KOMH said:

You can always count on ATRL to deliver some of the WORST, most unhinged takes known to man. :clap3:

Takes one to know one :clap3:

nope, it's still reputation

midnights actually solved a lot of that albums problems, took the best sounds and concepts and improved upon them :coffee2:

No Reputation is.

Also the hate on Midnights in here :biblio: 

Yeah I won't listen more than 2 -4 songs from Midnights but probably Debut is still worse 

Imagine having such poor taste for the OP to make this thread :-x

it's actually fearless :giraffe: even Debut has more bops. Lover is her third worst 

Not when it has some of her best tracks on it (The Archer, Afterglow, Miss Americana, Cornelia Street..) 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.