Mashed potato attack on a $110 million Monet painting in Germany

Cloudy

So they just threw some mashed potato on a $110m painting and no one's moving or trying to pull them away ?

I wouldn't be surprised that it's actually all fake and they used a fake copy of the painting for this. :toofunny3:

1 hour ago, Velvet Night said:

Why do they keep attacking the works of people who had been dead for a long time before climate change had been identified as a problem. Why aren't they vandalizing the property of the CEOs of big polluting corporations, or something? Paintings have nothing to do with climate change. All they accomplish is a raising aversion to actually do something against climate change in the general populace. 

2 hours ago, Velvet Night said:

Why do they keep attacking the works of people who had been dead for a long time before climate change had been identified as a problem. Why aren't they vandalizing the property of the CEOs of big polluting corporations, or something? Paintings have nothing to do with climate change. All they accomplish is a raising aversion to actually do something against climate change in the general populace. 

Because the governments who are polluting have already made it so damaging or protesting a pipeline gets you charged with a felony and deemed committing na act of "eco-terrorism". And y'all then don't defend these people when they go after these larger targets.

1 hour ago, commander said:

As they should. Museums are money laundry machines that only benefit white rich individuals.  

Nothing wrong with white rich individuals 

49 minutes ago, ontherocks said:

Nothing wrong with white rich individuals 

Not the when the world would be a better place without them :coffee:

7 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Attempting to vandalize any Big Oil CEO's property would get you turned into Swiss cheese by their security detail's AR-15 bullets, and pretty much US courtroom would rule in their favor.

If someone is alienated to the existential cause of climate change by pink-haired edgelords throwing tomato soup at a painting, they were never going to be sympathetic to the cause to begin with. Nothing is being done right now. The environmentalist movement is at its most defeated state right now with their aversion to nuclear power as a transitory energy source (due to very real concerns about how disastrous the effects of nuclear power being mismanaged are) and drilling for oil having increased its capacity more than ever before under supposedly environmentally-conscious world leaders like Joe Biden.

In the US they would probably be Swiss cheese but these protests (throwing food at paintings) are happening in Europe. I remember years ago protesters played tennis in Credit Suisse branches, to disrupt their activity and no one was shot. This is smart protest and what they should be doing more. Disrupt the activity of climate damaging cooperations. It would create the headlines they want and be something useful that people could get behind.

And I agree people shouldn’t be alienated by these protests but they are. I hear enough people irl and online say “This doesn’t make me want to listen to anything they have to say”. As far as I can tell it has the opposite effect of what they want to achieve. There’s public outrage about the protest but no discussion about climate change. 

This is giving oil companies paying fake activists to do ridiculous things to make their cause seem less important

5 minutes ago, Velvet Night said:

In the US they would probably be Swiss cheese but these protests (throwing food at paintings) are happening in Europe. I remember years ago protesters played tennis in Credit Suisse branches, to disrupt their activity and no one was shot. This is smart protest and what they should be doing more. Disrupt the activity of climate damaging cooperations. It would create the headlines they want and be something useful that people could get behind.

And I agree people shouldn’t be alienated by these protests but they are. I hear enough people irl and online say “This doesn’t make me want to listen to anything they have to say”. As far as I can tell it has the opposite effect of what they want to achieve. There’s public outrage about the protest but no discussion about climate change. 

Again, I'll reiterate. It's not a movement that's taken seriously at all already. The people saying that quote are using that as an excuse to look down their noses at a cause that they never supported to begin with. I agree that it's not effective protest to splatter soup on a painting, but... the reality is our planet is dying, our politicians and corporations are actively facilitating it, and our populations are complacent and willing to enthusiastically vote for fascism because they're anxious about gas prices.

There wasn't a discussion about climate change before this either. Scientists have been screaming it into the ether for decades, and populations have been happily electing climate deniers in response.

9 hours ago, Johnny Jacobs said:

Kim Kardashian People Are Dying GIF

Yes, many people are already dying due to climate change 

2 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

Again, I'll reiterate. It's not a movement that's taken seriously at all already. The people saying that quote are using that as an excuse to look down their noses at a cause that they never supported to begin with. I agree that it's not effective protest to splatter soup on a painting, but... the reality is our planet is dying, our politicians and corporations are actively facilitating it, and our populations are complacent and willing to enthusiastically vote for fascism because they're anxious about gas prices.

There wasn't a discussion about climate change before this either. Scientists have been screaming it into the ether for decades, and populations have been happily electing climate deniers in response.

Also, I want to say to all of these people saying ''They should vandalize a CEO's house'': You do it! Organize with people in your area and DO IT. If you see others failing to realize that which you want to see, it's your turn to step up.

These paintings are all behind protective sheets anyway. Honestly who cares. I swear people purposefully misinterpret the point of protest and act hurt by it just because they’d rather remain ignorant. “bUt ThEyRe WaStInG fOoD!!!1” please because these 20 year olds with a tin of tomato soup are supposed to save the world themselves when there are billionaires who could literally end hunger immediately and it not even make a scratch in their wealth. Thanks for the productive input, as usual you’re mad at the wrong people. :katie:

5 hours ago, fountain said:

These paintings are all behind protective sheets anyway. Honestly who cares. I swear people purposefully misinterpret the point of protest and act hurt by it just because they’d rather remain ignorant. “bUt ThEyRe WaStInG fOoD!!!1” please because these 20 year olds with a tin of tomato soup are supposed to save the world themselves when there are billionaires who could literally end hunger immediately and it not even make a scratch in their wealth. Thanks for the productive input, as usual you’re mad at the wrong people. :katie:

:clap3:

didn't something similar just happen recently? I keep hearing about these acts of protest but have no idea what they are actually protesting :rip:

16 hours ago, ClashAndBurn said:

The planet can't die. We really will just kill off ourselves and other species, but not all. Life will carry on and re-diversify again long after we are gone

25 minutes ago, Kamil24 said:

The planet can't die. We really will just kill off ourselves and other species, but not all. Life will carry on and re-diversify again long after we are gone

Non-sequitur, but ok.

Edited by ClashAndBurn

Horizon Flame
On 10/24/2022 at 10:50 AM, fountain said:

Historians care. Everyone should care. This does nothing but make whatever issue they have look like a joke. 

Horizon Flame
23 hours ago, Kamil24 said:

didn't something similar just happen recently? I keep hearing about these acts of protest but have no idea what they are actually protesting :rip:

Exactly. 

The problem is not the message

Is the messenger 

The people who promote this and the way they do it is extremely annoying and makes everything less serious. It’s usually white guilt people in a privileged country. 

I hope someone can come up with an effective form of communication to the masses cause this is really not it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.