Why Is Islam So Legalistic?

GraceRandolph

to be fair, a lot of religions are or were like this. Judaism for example had very legalistic perception of religion, like forbidding the mix of fabrics. Many adherents have become less obsessed with these rules. I know many muslims who have candles on their birthday cake. 

girls and guys can't be friends or high five :deadbanana:

Religion is literally a set of rules to follow. I feel like some of y’all need to make some Muslim friends, ATRL is lowkey giving Helga from Hey, Arnold teas about Islam :deadbanana2:

The islamophobia is big from the OP. How can you generalise one of the biggest religion in this earth by one youtube account? Do the same with all religions, all of them have people like that.

22 minutes ago, Pokemonfan1515 said:

Are you really generalising 2 billion Muslims from 1 youtube channel :deadbanana2:

1 minute ago, C-Amber said:

The islamophobia is big from the OP. How can you generalise one of the biggest religion in this earth by one youtube account? Do the same with all religions, all of them have people like that.

Huh? My OP is literally rules from a Muslim. I just think it's too legalistic. Is any criticism of a religion equal to bigotry towards the people who follow it?

because it doubled as a political institution when prophet muhammed (pbuh) was colonizing the world.

17 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Huh? My OP is literally rules from a Muslim. I just think it's too legalistic. Is any criticism of a religion equal to bigotry towards the people who follow it?

Where is your topics about other religions then? Many still practice same ways and more, isn't there still a cult in USA that nobody come close to it or talk about it? Give same energy to everyone but you can't.

4 minutes ago, C-Amber said:

Where is your topics about other religions then? Many still practice same ways and more, isn't there still a cult in USA that nobody come close to it or talk about it? Give same energy to everyone but you can't.

I have criticized Christianity as well, and defended Islam in certain threads. :deadbanana2:

Organized religion is poison in general but I wouldn't generalize everybody with this, a lot of people refer to themselves under a certain religion but only take what they want from it (which is how it should be)

11 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

I have criticized Christianity as well, and defended Islam in certain threads. :deadbanana2:

All I see on atrl is weekly topics about hating on Islam and that's it. There is rarely anything else about other religions. Don't try to act as if it's not the truth. Atrl full of Islamophobia and it shows.

Because it tells you how to live your life properly. 

The mandatory obligations of Islam are relatively few, but for those who are more righteous there are always ways you can grow closer to God. Unfortunately a lot of modern Muslims focus on the things reserved for the highest categories without properly establishing what is most important (due to a lack of wisdom) and that pushes many people away.

Edited by Literature

OP literally asked one question and posted multiple videos from a practitioner of the religion in question. There’s no spin, propaganda, or, from what I can see, ulterior motive. The only content is literally from a practitioner saying you can’t do this list of things. People are allowed to ask questions and to disagree with the beliefs of others (OP didn’t state any disagreement outright either way though). 

Also, it’s somewhat disingenuous to preach “tolerance” of any given religion because oftentimes the tolerance and respect are not mutual. As one gentleman I came across put it - and I’m paraphrasing - “you should honor and respect my religion because it is intolerant to do otherwise. I do not respect and honor your beliefs however because they are wrong and against my own.” 

It doesn’t work that way, sorry! 

Omg the girl in the op reading Yasin surah in English accent sounds like a parody :rip:

Also if she thats covered and trying to teach the laws she must know that she shouldn't be on tiktok. Not sincere :bam:

And guys yeah Islam has a lot of laws that you might think as a joke but muslims know and accept those rules. They might couldnt adapt all those rules to their life like covering hair, dressing modestly tho they can still remain muslim. The first rule of islam is to believe in the 1 god and the last prophet. If you guys make some muslim friends you will know that it is not really hard to understand them and wont be so judgemental to their rules. Also almost all religions have the similar rules with Islam it is up to believer how much they can adapt those rules to their life.

Most religions have these rules. I used to teach a group of Orthodox Jews who had far stricter rules than any of my Muslim students (for example it was a single gender class and even the teacher had to be male). It really just depends on the person and often the country (for example people in Saudi Arabia are more likely to adhere to strict religious principles while people in Dubai are less likely). Islam is more strictly adhered to then other religions but will probably become more secular over time like Christianity (at least in more Western countries).

A lot of ATRL has clearly never talked to a Muslim and just believe everything they read in western media even ignoring things like many of the women protesting in Iran still identify themselves Muslim even though they are fighting against laws enforced in the name of religion.

7 hours ago, Cute said:

to be fair, a lot of religions are or were like this. Judaism for example had very legalistic perception of religion, like forbidding the mix of fabrics. Many adherents have become less obsessed with these rules. I know many muslims who have candles on their birthday cake. 

It's true all abrahamic religions have history of intolerance, aggression, place men above women, don't grant any rights to minorities and their ''holy books'' are clearly not the right books to read in order to know how to live your life properly. Like, how do u read a book from the 7th century and earlier to give you ideas on how to live a life from the 21st century, it just doesn't work. 

But, no one can disagree that the problem with Islam is not only with the conservative groups as in the case of Judaism and Christianity, but in fact it can affect any ordinary Muslim, even those who don't practice sharia - this is not to say there are no good Muslims - in fact, there are a lot of good Muslims though, but the religious influence is much more visible to Muslims than it is to conservative Jews and Christians. That is why there's more sufferings with laws in Islamic countries, because it's really difficult for them to separate Islam from politics

Edited by A.R.L

all organised religions do this, so yes it is weird to pick Islam given the islamophobia problem on this forum 

18 hours ago, C-Amber said:

All I see on atrl is weekly topics about hating on Islam and that's it. There is rarely anything else about other religions. Don't try to act as if it's not the truth. Atrl full of Islamophobia and it shows.

There's always threads about Christianity and it gets dragged through the mud :skull:

After watching her first video, sorry I misunderstood her, judging by the thumbnail, I thought she was promoting the niqab in the name of hijab, but that wasn't the case, my bad 

14 hours ago, Robert said:

A lot of ATRL has clearly never talked to a Muslim and just believe everything they read in western media even ignoring things like many of the women protesting in Iran still identify themselves Muslim even though they are fighting against laws enforced in the name of religion.

Yes, exactly. That actually happened in the Iran thread here. They patronize the struggle of these women as much as they can and then use it to justify their hatred against muslim communities of color living in the West, so to maintain their islamophobic stance it's easier to blame it all on religion rather than actually question the theocracy that use religious teachings as tools of oppression and which historical events led it to take place.

Something has to be done about the weird obsession this site have with muslim women. :mazen:

5 hours ago, Kamil24 said:

There's always threads about Christianity and it gets dragged through the mud :skull:

People are having conversations about the theological aspects of Christianity on ATRL? Really? :skull: Can you link them?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.