Latinas occupy the top 5 most streamed female albums of the year

Michael196

1 hour ago, Cloy said:

Exactly, which the OP clearly meant.

These girls check WHITE on census followed by their ethnicity. Moving on. 

1 hour ago, Great808 said:

Because it’s trying to make it seem like some actual whole ass POC’s are slaying when it’s just White women from another side of the world that speak different White language. 

No one is making it seem like anything, those girls are Latinas. Camila was born in Cuba and his father is Mexican. Anitta was born in Brazil. Sofia Reyes was born in Mexico. Rosalia was born in Spain (which, by definition, is a Latin country, yes). Becky G is the only one born in the US and yet her whole family is Mexican.

White latinos exist, what's not clicking? Only Rosalia and Sofia are white tho, the rest are mixed.

Since it's ATRL y'all would do anything to try to downplay the success of women so this kind of stuff doesn't surprise me

Also, if the lack of people of darker skin in that list is the actual problem, just call it out instead of spreading ignorance by making up stuff like saying Latinos aren't marginalized in the US, when in fact, they are :ducky:

Edited by BrokenMachine

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cloy

• Scars

• BrokenMachine

• Protocol

:eek: :clap3: 

Not the Census warriors in here starting arguments. My god how miserable can you people be? :toofunny3:

Edited by FightForTanas

7 minutes ago, BrokenMachine said:

White latinos exist, what's not clicking? Only Rosalia and Sofia are white tho, the rest are mixed.

I only noticed after your post that Anitta made it to the list, yeah, the "all of them are racially white!" isn't going to cut it.

Após ficar rico, pai de Anitta assume nova profissão e se manda do Brasil;  saiba o que ele fazia antes - TV Foco

I mean, that's literally her father. :deadbanana4:

Love my girl Rosalía, but she's not Latina. 

Why are americans so damn IGNORANT? :deadbanana4: Go back to school. 

2 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

No one is making it seem like anything, those girls are Latinas. Camila was born in Cuba and his father is Mexican. Anitta was born in Brazil. Sofia Reyes was born in Mexico. Rosalia was born in Spain (which, by definition, is a Latin country, yes). Becky G is the only one born in the US and yet her whole family is Mexican.

Since it's ATRL y'all would do anything to try to downplay the success of women so this kind of stuff doesn't surprise me

Also, if the lack of people of darker skin in that list is the actual problem, just call it out instead of spreading ignorance by making up stuff like saying Latinos aren't marginalized in the US, when in fact, they are :ducky:

Spain is an hispanic country, not latin. Huge difference. 

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Spain is an hispanic country, not latin. Huge difference. 

Latin Europe exists (it wasn't what started the 'latin' ethnicity in the US but, whatever, still Latin by concept :gaycat6:)

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BrokenMachine said:

Latin Europe exists (it wasn't what started the 'latin' ethnicity in the US but, whatever, still Latin by concept :gaycat6:)

spacer.png

"Hispanic and Latino are often used interchangeably though they actually mean two different things. Hispanic refers to people who speak Spanish and/or are descended from Spanish-speaking populations, while Latino refers to people who are from or descended from people from Latin America." 

Keep going. 

8 hours ago, Cloy said:

Latino is not a race. Therefore, Rosalia, Camilla and Becky G are white women.  Latin American has a larger population than North America. I'm just saying... Trying to make it seem like spanish speaking people are marginalized in any way is stupid. Yes, many of them are immigrants but they are still white and can settle into America comfortably once they learn English if they haven't already

Becky G is very obviously a mestiza white/Amerindian mix like most of Mexico. She is not white white. And is not considered white in America.

6 hours ago, Scars said:

I only noticed after your post that Anitta made it to the list, yeah, the "all of them are racially white!" isn't going to cut it.

Após ficar rico, pai de Anitta assume nova profissão e se manda do Brasil;  saiba o que ele fazia antes - TV Foco

Right, just because she had plastic surgery doesn’t mean she’s white

White means overwhelmingly of indigenous European ancestry. Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Miley Cyrus, Jessie J, and yes Rosalia are white. Not Anita and Becky G.

1 hour ago, reymiu said:

Where is Karol G?

She hasn’t released an album yet this year. 

11 hours ago, Cloy said:

Latino is not a race. Therefore, Rosalia, Camilla and Becky G are white women.  Latin American has a larger population than North America. I'm just saying... Trying to make it seem like spanish speaking people are marginalized in any way is stupid. Yes, many of them are immigrants but they are still white and can settle into America comfortably once they learn English if they haven't already

Are you Latino and currently live in America? If not, don’t speak on our behalf or pretend to know or understand.

This post is a mess, lmao. Between the ones trying to minimize the merits and success of music in Spanish (and Portuguese) while claiming all these women are white (in what world?) and the 'Rosalía is technically Latin' crew. If Rosalía is Latin, so are such people like the most famous opera singer ever (Pavarotti), or Édith Piaf, or the 2021 winners of Eurovision, or let's even reach further and say Celine Dion and Lady Gaga are Latin.

Anyhow, congratulations to these women!

The way it is always a debate whenever Rosalia gets mentioned in this "Latin" lists. :toofunny2:

Even though Spanish, Italian, French and Portuguese all came from the Latin language, the current definition in a global scale is that Latin is people or products from Latin America. Therefore Rosalia is NOT latina. However, she is hispanic and her work can and should be considered under all these hispanic (Spanish language) accolades (same with the Grammys), even if they are always grouped or labeled as "Latin".

So the thread title should be more "Top 5 streamed albums of the year all hispanic".

I think Brazilians do not like to be called Latinos but that's another discourse. And while "Versions of Me" is multilingual and is more English than Spanish or Portuguese, the biggest hit from the album is in Spanish so yeah why not add it to the list. However, Familia is all English but two songs but Camila is latina so... the thread title and/or the list are wrong.

But kudos to these girls, showing the anglo girls how it is done.

Not that colonizer at #1.

9 hours ago, Gerry I Shot said:

Are you Latino and currently live in America? If not, don’t speak on our behalf or pretend to know or understand.

Yes, I am American, born and raised. Stop trying to marginalized yourselves while pissing on the Afro-Latinos. Again, these people are white and if the only thing that stops you from being equal is a language, then is that equal to the real discrimination that black and brown people face? No. The racial makeup in Latin America is no different than in North America so how are you a minority if you're a white Latino?

Edited by Cloy
Typos

11 hours ago, Protocol said:

Becky G is very obviously a mestiza white/Amerindian mix like most of Mexico. She is not white white. And is not considered white in America.

She's definitely a white lady on the census, sorry Bud. 

17 hours ago, FightForTanas said:

:eek: :clap3: 

Not the Census warriors in here starting arguments. My god how miserable can you people be? :toofunny3:

How are people miserable when the purpose of this thread was to point out that white latinas are successful as if white latinas are a marginalized group? Just admit that you assume that latino is a race in your mind. It's 2022 and you're still uneducated about race and ethnicity but mad because others know the difference. Imagine that. 

17 hours ago, Scars said:

Actually, she started to look more ethnic with the surgery. I'll give you Anitta, but the rest are white. Anitta is NOT a black woman. Let's clarify that. 

18 hours ago, BrokenMachine said:

There are white mexicans. Mexican is NOT a race. There are Afro-mexicans. Mexicans, the mestizos, used to identify as white and many of them still do. 

Edited by Cloy

41 minutes ago, Cloy said:

She's definitely a white lady on the census, sorry Bud. 

That's only because American censuses don't include a category for Latinos because they don't understand that most Latinos are a racial mixture of Amerindian and European. Sorry bud my ass. How dare you try to talk down to someone about something you don't understand and with a foot fetish image in your avatar at that. Stay in your lane.

35 minutes ago, Cloy said:

There are white mexicans. Mexican is NOT a race. There are Afro-mexicans. Mexicans, the mestizos, used to identify as white and many of them still do. 

They identify as white within Latin America, not outside. In the USA, they are not considered white. And they are not really white anyway. White means overwhelmingly of European ancestry. Becky G is not the same as Taylor Swift.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.