The Fall of the House of Usher (2023) | 92% on RT | Now streaming on Netflix

genetic fail

17 hours ago, publikcitizen said:

The actress from Scream did a really good job playing a young ruthless Madeline. 

Carla was as usual exceptional here. Glad she had a bigger role this time. She’s so good at playing these characters. 

easily my two favorite performances 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Miles.

• Reverse Warholian

• RideOrDie

• publikcitizen

38 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

I have to agree but when he hits he HITS. 

@Leptine the way I went from almost hating this to it being in my top 3 series of 2023, w h e w ! I'm on Black Cat rn and am fighting the urge to binge the rest in one sitting. Carla Gugino MIGHT be coming for an Emmy (nomination!), I fear. @ChapelHooker @Walk_Away21

is it actually horror/scary/creepy/etc.? i’ve only seen bits of the trailer 

59 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

I have to agree but when he hits he HITS. 

@Leptine the way I went from almost hating this to it being in my top 3 series of 2023, w h e w ! I'm on Black Cat rn and am fighting the urge to binge the rest in one sitting. Carla Gugino MIGHT be coming for an Emmy (nomination!), I fear. @ChapelHooker @Walk_Away21

Ok I have to stream this. Carla CARRIED Hill House hard :jonny: Legend

I just finished the last episode. It starts to get more tolerable towards the 2nd episode but is still the same boring mess.

Mike Flanagan’s work tends to be very character driven, and that’s why I love Hill House (his best work tbh) so much. He was able to grab my attention right from the beginning with the characters and their backstory and on screen chemistry.

With House of Usher, none of the characters are likeable with any redeemable quality. They are just all poorly written with no depth or complexity. Since we all know what is gonna happen to them from the begining, watching it happening on screen feels very meh. I am not invested to any of these characters to feel bad for them or satisfied because of what happens to them. This is not even slow burn because nothing is actually burning and there is no big pay off or whatever. The last episode is quite good though. 

Okay I have question

Spoiler

What happened to Annabelle? Did she commit suicide? Becoz there's ******* hole behind her head

On 10/16/2023 at 10:22 PM, ChapelHooker said:

is it actually horror/scary/creepy/etc.? i’ve only seen bits of the trailer 

eh no it's just slightly creepy cause there is like gore and horror elements but i wouldn't call it a scary show. it's more character driven tragic drama. 

On 10/16/2023 at 10:52 PM, Likingstars said:

I just finished the last episode. It starts to get more tolerable towards the 2nd episode but is still the same boring mess.

Mike Flanagan’s work tends to be very character driven, and that’s why I love Hill House (his best work tbh) so much. He was able to grab my attention right from the beginning with the characters and their backstory and on screen chemistry.

With House of Usher, none of the characters are likeable with any redeemable quality. They are just all poorly written with no depth or complexity. Since we all know what is gonna happen to them from the begining, watching it happening on screen feels very meh. I am not invested to any of these characters to feel bad for them or satisfied because of what happens to them. This is not even slow burn because nothing is actually burning and there is no big pay off or whatever. The last episode is quite good though. 

idk, i kinda disagree. yes the characters could've had just a bit more depth and backstory to make this better but i don't think you were supposed to like them anyways and this is still an excellent show even though there's no big pay off.  it's still wonderful to watch knowing where it is going but it's slowly just unraveling all the pieces that lead up to it. the monologues, the dialogue, the masterclass in acting from almost everyone, the cinematography, the direction, it's all just wonderful. 

but yes hill house still remains the masterpiece it is and he has not lived up to that yet... 

first ep was a serve :clap3:

the way they're going for horror-succession with that music and vibe!

7 hours ago, Cloröx said:

Okay I have question

Reveal hidden contents

What happened to Annabelle? Did she commit suicide? Becoz there's ******* hole behind her head

i have questions about this as well idk if i missed something or what 

Spoiler

i think we are supposed to assume she killed herself after roderick bribed and stole the kids

On 10/16/2023 at 12:42 AM, Reverse Warholian said:

It's one season tho

4fAaKop.gif

Fine. I'll start with 'Bly Manor' then *****!

J6IcVW5.gif

4 hours ago, The Witch said:

Fine. I'll start with 'Bly Manor' then *****!

J6IcVW5.gif

Bore Manure sucks. Here's my ranking of all the Flanagan series: 

1. Fall of the Haus of Gaga

2. The Acclaiming of Hill House 

*BARRIER* 

3. MIDnight Mass 

4. The Panning of Bore Manure 

Bubbling Under: 

5. Midnight Cu.m

@Walk_Away21

Edited by Reverse Warholian
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Reverse Warholian said:

*BARRIER* 

3. MIDnight Mass 

4. The Haunting of Bore Manure 

Bubbling Under: 

5. Midnight Cu.m

@Walk_Away21

I never watched Shartnight Mass :hey:

Just finished this last night.

EXCELLENT show. By far one of the best I've seen in the last few years. I never watched any of his previous work and now I've watch everything back to back. This was honestly SO ******* good. The characters, the storytelling, the cinematography, the acting. Everything was just superb.

Also, I finally realized halfway through that the young Madeline was the actress in Scream TV Show. I am impressed, because she was fantastic here, but was so painful to watch her in Scream. Good for her :clap3:

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Reverse Warholian said:

*BARRIER* 

3. MIDnight Mass 

4. The Panning of Bore Manure 

Bubbling Under: 

5. Midnight Cu.m

Here's an OBJECTIVE ranking of Flanagan's masterpieces, since the above is objectively wrong.

Midnight Mass: 13/10, an absolute masterpiece, a cultural and creative reset, and a stunning repeak for Flan after his original opus.  If you have any experience with religious trauma, this will hit extra hard.  If you don't, it's still a beautiful moving poignant powerful story.

The Haunting Of Hill House: 13/10, the original magnum opus, a brilliantly written, thoughtful, compelling, character driven tale with masterful performances from all the main actors.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher: 9/10, campy, melodramatic fun!

The Haunting Of Bly Manor: 8/10, a very good story and absolutely worth a watch, but pales in comparison to Hill House.

Midnight Club: NA/10, I couldn't make it past the first episode, the format of the stories within a story just didn't work, all the terminally ill kids spoke in ridiculous platitudes, and the teen actors were really bad.  The only one I wouldn't recommend.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Miles. said:

Here's an OBJECTIVE ranking of Flanagan's masterpieces, since the above is objectively wrong.

Midnight Mass: 13/10, an absolute masterpiece, a cultural and creative reset, and a stunning repeak for Flan after his original opus.  If you have any experience with religious trauma, this will hit extra hard.  If you don't, it's still a beautiful moving poignant powerful story.

The Haunting Of Hill House: 13/10, the original magnum opus, a brilliantly written, thoughtful, compelling, character driven tale with masterful performances from all the main actors.

The Fall Of The House Of Usher: 9/10, campy, melodramatic fun!

The Haunting Of Bly Manor: 8/10, a very good story and absolutely worth a watch, but pales in comparison to Hill House.

Midnight Club: NA/10, I couldn't make it past the first episode, the format of the stories within a story just didn't work, all the terminally ill kids spoke in ridiculous platitudes, and the teen actors were really bad.  The only one I wouldn't recommend.

Exact same ranking.

This is another absolute collapse from Flanagan. 2 episodes left but whew, a ride. Bruce Greenwood is EATING. Only wish Mary McDonnell had more to do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Braz said:

Exact same ranking.

This is another absolute collapse from Flanagan. 2 episodes left but whew, a ride. Bruce Greenwood is EATING. Only wish Mary McDonnell had more to do.

Wait, I just realized that Mary is Jill's mom in Scream 4. That's why she looked so familiar

• Like 1

Carla ate (as usual) but this was just  :rip: 

Mike Flanagan’s brand of horror is just so tacky, he really thought he was doing something just because he based it off of Edgar Allan Poe

Like, the silver wig on the publicist BiTcHy sister and the whole Gossip Girl Chuck Bass lite orgy thing were so cringy

Midnight Mass was incredible but this was trash

Edited by TaylorNation
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just finished. Amazing show. His second best after Hill House though not particularly scary. However, the end of episode two made me so uncomfortable. Loved the ending and all the Easter eggs. You can tell Mike loves what he does. 

Oh, and older Madeline’s monologue in the finale was amazing :giraffe:

I can see why it has high ratings. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

Hill House

House of Usher

Midnight Mass

Bly Manor

Midnight Club (didn't watch)

I'm on ep 6 and I like it so far, I don't mind it being slow. actually it's refreshing to watch a story that has room to breathe as opposed to all those quick shows that are being made nowadays where tons of action and plot are being crammed into 8 episodes

On 10/20/2023 at 12:49 AM, TaylorNation said:

Carla ate (as usual) but this was just  :rip: 

Mike Flanagan’s brand of horror is just so tacky, he really thought he was doing something just because he based it off of Edgar Allan Poe

Like, the silver wig on the publicist BiTcHy sister and the whole Gossip Girl Chuck Bass lite orgy thing were so cringy

Midnight Mass was incredible but this was trash

Tacky? TACKY?

Like, no one with even a glimpse of taste would call this TRASH.

Now I understand why you didn't like Sunset Boulevard. The taste is not in the room with us.

It was cute but i excepted more sas. Idk 

tiffany pollard television GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Edited by Johnny Jacobs

I really loved this, best horror tv show of the year, also when it comes to movies of that genre, excellent casting, some amazing performances (Carla Cugino and Willa Flitzgerland in first), interesting plot.

Flanagan keeps serving what Ryan Murphy couldn't do with his last AHS seasons.

Is this any good? Is it scary? I find most of his stuff so slow and boring 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.