Nicki Minaj course to be taught at California university

Daydream

1 hour ago, Bhabylon said:

Sounds like a waste of tuition and a means to try to appeal to tiktokers. Unless it’s a course about criminal justice

Not criminal Justice lmaooo

Will there be a unit on Mr. Petty attacking the concept of the class and how Miss Minaj is affected by that from a criminal justice lens? :michael:

Edited by Mellark

The way this site always fume when they hear her name. :bibliahh:

Im sure employers would really care about that when they look for who they want to hire next. :clap3: 

Imagine going to college and taking a course about a ******* pop star :rip: cringe 

All the rap girlies should take this. Queen of education. She also responded & said she’d love to make an appearance. 

The course is about feminism & hip hop. Nicki is named as a notable example. You can bet it’s the same covert racists in here that were hooping and hollering about the Taylor Swift course. :rip:

This is not for you. Move your pressed selves along. Nicki’s career will be studied as no one has accomplished what she has, amassed the support or the cross-genre breakthroughs that she has, or made female rap as profitable as she has. Continue to seethe, it won’t change reality. 

nicki-minaj-hi.gif

These courses just give arts degrees a bad name.

1 hour ago, FOCK said:

were hooping and hollering about the Taylor Swift course. 

i mean, that was at NYU's Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music.

you can definitely see how taylor swift would be relevant and important to recorded music, yes?

but hopefully the barbz enjoy hanging out together in this class.

But why? At this point this is a money grab. 

1 hour ago, fridayteenage said:

i mean, that was at NYU's Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music.

you can definitely see how taylor swift would be relevant and important to recorded music, yes?

Yes? This isn’t a slight against Swift.

By comparison,why does a course on feminism in a predominantly black genre, provoke so much ire & lame commentary? :ryan:

10 hours ago, Bhabylon said:

Sounds like a waste of tuition and a means to try to appeal to tiktokers. Unless it’s a course about criminal justice

:deadbanana2:

What a fine addition it will make to their catalogue of criminal Justice courses 

edit: oop someone beat me to it 

Edited by Sesame

6 hours ago, Nip Tuck said:

some of y’all have no clue how higher education works at all istg

I feel for the people already thinking about appealing to their future employers in college 

I’m sure if any graduate HR/recruiter reads a candidates transcript who has taken this class, it makes it much easier to automatically throw their application in the bin. Since they know the candidate has p!55-poor judgment making skills. 

1 hour ago, Cain said:

I feel for the people already thinking about appealing to their future employers in college 

Like? Maybe it’s way different in the US (probably) but where I am elective courses don’t really matter that much. Like my university encourages you to choose electives outside your major.

1 hour ago, Nip Tuck said:

Like? Maybe it’s way different in the US (probably) but where I am elective courses don’t really matter that much. Like my university encourages you to choose electives outside your major.

+1

Not only that, but academia does not need to be “employment” focused.

There are numerous arts, history, philosophy & culture courses & degrees that don’t necessarily or directly improve “traditional” employment prospects. Should we do away with them? Like… some people value knowledge and pursuing their interests. 

Besides that, there’s obviously enough demand to run the course, and some may be interested in careers in the music industry, or it could be of relevance to those studying psychology, politics, feminist history, culture or community outreach & the role/relation of hip hop. 

Some people are so shortsighted. This course is about much more than Nicki, she just happens to be the example they’re leading with because of her notable career & influence. 

2 hours ago, Nip Tuck said:

I graduated this year and have a great fulltime job and if anything people appreciate employees being interesting and bringing something different to the table over people having done only basic ass courses

But that’s besides the point, the point being that you should be in college to acquire knowledge that you find interesting. Not to become the perfect little neoliberal worker

4 hours ago, Cain said:

i mean sis. we live in a capitalist society. using the knowledge you attained from college to work a liveable job with a nice salary should be the standard. but studying something that will leave you on welfare or with extremely low job prospects isn't necessarily worth it to me. especially if i work myself in debt learning about topics like nicki minaj :rip: while i could've easily done that in the presence of my own computer.

studying something like civil engineering or architecture is worth paying the tuition for me because you can actually work a wonderful career in these branches with the degree you obtain. but ofc if its your plan to eventually become a business owner or something else you don't need a degree for, yeah you should do whatever you want. but having a job prospect to not fear financial deprivation from college debt is a good thing tbh

2 minutes ago, KatyPrismSpirit said:

i mean sis. we live in a capitalist society. using the knowledge you attained from college to work a liveable job with a nice salary should be the standard. but studying something that will leave you on welfare or with extremely low job prospects isn't necessarily worth it to me. especially if i work myself in debt learning about topics like nicki minaj :rip: while i could've easily done that in the presence of my own computer.

studying something like civil engineering or architecture is worth paying the tuition for me because you can actually work a wonderful career in these branches with the degree you obtain. but ofc if its your plan to eventually become a business owner or something else you don't need a degree for, yeah you should do whatever you want. but having a job prospect to not fear financial deprivation from college debt is a good thing tbh

Ofcourse we all have future career prospects, even in college. But thinking ‘I’m interested in class x but I’m not going to do it because that wouldn’t impress my future employer’ is just such a sad mindset to me. Not everything you do or every minute in life has to be ultra productive or be focused on monetization. Following your interests outside of the ratrace can lead to new insights or pathways. This isn’t about a popstar study or anything, it’s just an extra class

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.