Constance Wu: 'FOBT tweets' were due to years of sexual harassment on set

Communion

I feel so bad for her and nothing's going to change but her story should be society's wake up call that Twitter villainization campaigns are deadly when they target someone who is already dealing with painful experiences. It reminds me of the August Ames case, how she was being abused in relationships and on p**n sets and then being called out on Twitter for one questionable take is what led her to kill herself.

• ATRL Moderator

I feel awful for her, that's such a terrible situation.  

1 hour ago, Beyonnaise said:

I feel so bad for her and nothing's going to change but her story should be society's wake up call that Twitter villainization campaigns are deadly when they target someone who is already dealing with painful experiences. It reminds me of the August Ames case, how she was being abused in relationships and on p**n sets and then being called out on Twitter for one questionable take is what led her to kill herself.

Twitter is a bandwagoning cesspool.

Terrible omg. I apologize for thinking she was a shady ***** for shading the show like that. 

I always thought people did too much on her about those tweets, even at the time that she tweeted them.

27 minutes ago, MusicTalker said:

Twitter is a bandwagoning cesspool.

A lot of people who involve themselves with social media were happy KiwiFarms (another deplorable cesspool like 4Chan that led to suicides) was deservedly wiped from the internet but that really should only be seen as the first step. To end the everyday harassment campaigns that happen on Twitter that arguably are hurtful on a wider scale there needs to be more aggressive systems of weeding them out.

She might have a bad attitude, I don’t know. Whatever, that show sucked anyway and she was right for tweeting it.

ABC needs to investigate the SA claims further and clean house.

2 hours ago, Nano said:

Sure they were.

What is your problem, seriously every thread you’re always saying some dumb sh*t 

I feel sorry for her.

On another story, why arent they filming Crazy Rich Asians 2 ?

This is so sad especially remembering the reactions back then. 

I want to believe her, but come on... Why is she speaking out now? Why not then? This is just coming off as her playing the victim to fix her image because no one casts her anymore due to her bad attitude. We were living in the Me Too times when she made those tweets. Don't tell me you were afraid to speak up Constance. It just doesn't make sense. 

The ' believe women' crowd will come for anyone who dares to question her and she knows that. She ruined it for everyone. 

Also in the video she says she is done with that chapter of her life. Sure, that's why she goes to multiple talk shows to recite the story her PR person told her to say. You can see it if you watch both videos. 

1 hour ago, Starfish said:

I want to believe her, but come on... Why is she speaking out now? Why not then? This is just coming off as her playing the victim to fix her image because no one casts her anymore due to her bad attitude. We were living in the Me Too times when she made those tweets. Don't tell me you were afraid to speak up Constance. It just doesn't make sense. 

The ' believe women' crowd will come for anyone who dares to question her and she knows that. She ruined it for everyone. 

Also in the video she says she is done with that chapter of her life. Sure, that's why she goes to multiple talk shows to recite the story her PR person told her to say. You can see it if you watch both videos. 

Who the **** are you to tell anyone when they should or shouldn't share their stories about sexual harassment? **** off.

The whole outrage over her tweets was ridiculous to begin with. All she did was complain about a job she hated and couldn't just quit. The only reason it was made a big deal of is because she is an Asian woman who should be grateful for being allowed to have a career in Hollywood at all.

11 hours ago, Nano said:

Sure they were.

:campfire:

2 hours ago, Starfish said:

Please people are always afraid to come forward. Is this the first time you’ve ever heard about being an abuse survivor and what happens? Embarrassing, weird, should be deleted.

I wish these celebs elaborate on they mean as “harassment” cause some people define it differently, so give us details how deep the issue is instead of giving us vague statements. 

13 minutes ago, Oxy said:

I wish these celebs elaborate on they mean as “harassment” cause some people define it differently, so give us details how deep the issue is instead of giving us vague statements. 

Appearently the producer made some inappropiate comments, and asked her for inappropiate pictures. That's obviously terrible, but the way she's telling the story seems a bit extra dramatic to get more sympathy.

Edited by Peep Show

The assumption of malicious intent has been so severe against her here and elsewhere, particularly from the AA community.

That she'd take the time to rehearse for every one of these appearances - for what, to keep a career? When she's now risking defamation from that producer?

There's a lot to unpack culturally just with the response to this revelation alone but there's so much noise we'll have to wait for the dust to settle.

1 minute ago, Peep Show said:

Appearently the producer made some inappropiate comments, and asked her for inappropiate pictures. That's obviously terrible, but the way she's telling the story seems a bit extra dramatic to get more sympathy.

There's degrees to what emotion she's allowed to reveal publically based on the crime? 

What would justify what she's showing in these interviews? Rape? 

Like, what is happening right now. :ace: This is exactly what I'm talking about.

1 minute ago, Espresso said:

There's degrees to what emotion she's allowed to reveal publically based on the crime? 

Like, what is happening right now. :ace: This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Comments and a request for pictures are not crimes. Get a grip.

1 minute ago, Nano said:

Comments and a request for pictures are not crimes. Get a grip.

People get fired for sexual harassment. Like, what is the goal with your comments?

I'm not a Constance Wu stan by any stretch but all this energy directed towards making sure she doesn't work again seems like a waste.

8 minutes ago, Espresso said:

Have we really become this fragile?

She burst into tears in 4 different interviews (or more, I stopped counting), it just seems like something she rehearsed, and not like something that's genuinely coming from her heart. She's only coming out with this now cause she got a book to promote, it's all part of the press tour. Again i'm not saying that I don't believe her, but she surely knows how to tell the story to get the most attention out of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.