Northern Ireland Census: Catholic majority for the first time in 100 year history

Both Sides Now

Religion

Catholic: 42.3% (+1.5)

Protestant: 37.3% (-4.3)

Other: 1.7% (+0.9)

No Religion: 19.0% (+2.1)

National Identity

British only: 31.9% (-8.0)
Irish only: 29.1% (+3.8)
Northern Irish only: 19.8% (-1.1)
British & Northern Irish: 8.0% (+1.8)
Irish and Northern Irish: 1.8% (+0.5)
Other: 10.0% (+3.4)

There is a collapse in British identity up North and this is largely due to the demographics identity of NI. The older population tends to be Protestant while younger generations are more Catholic. This is from the 2011 Census, it will be really interesting to see what the picture is today:

spacer.png

The political parties representing Unionists are doing themselves no favours turning young people off Unionism through their regressive politics also. If you're a young, liberally minded British person in NI, you will likely not be enthused by the Unionist political parties who are ultra-conservative (DUP, UUP). Meanwhile the Irish nationalist parties are all populist and left (Sinn Féin, SDLP). 

This census will have big shockwaves in NI politics. Of course, Irish reunification isn't implied by these numbers. Not all Irish/Catholics want a united Ireland. But it is showing a clear trend of demographic change.

The unification of Ireland is just around the corner. I can almost touch it. :duca:

Yes Northern Ireland!! Ditch the English and join the rightful home with the Irish!!

*Plurality, not majority. Majority implies over 50%

17 minutes ago, Wonderland said:

*Plurality, not majority. Majority implies over 50%

I believe that is American English:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/majority

See its usage here:

https://amp.france24.com/en/live-news/20220922-catholic-majority-set-to-raise-unification-pressure-in-n-ireland

Majority generally means the greatest number in UK/IRE. I’ve heard “Catholic/Protestant majority” consistently in my life. Never once have I heard “Catholic/Protestant plurality”. I’ve seen quite a few news outlets clarify the American “majority” though. 

Edited by Both Sides Now

As someone that lives in Northern Ireland I find it bizarre with some of the headlines I am seeing about this, It’s like they are deliberately trying to anger both communities and this is sure to cause tension. 

22 minutes ago, DUA LIPA said:

sounds homophobic to me :coffee:

Ironically, the party that hope to represent the Irish Catholics in NI (Sinn Féin) are pro-LGBT and campaigned for gay marriage in NI. They proposed a bill to legalise marriage equality but it was struck down by the Unionist (Protestant) party.

The parties that hope to represent many of the Protestant Unionists (DUP, UUP) are fundamentalist Christians who are staunchly homophobic. A past leader of DUP politician is a creationist :mazen:

Religion on the island of Ireland is complicated. Most Irish would self identify as Catholic but we are one of the most liberal countries in the world. It’s mostly a cultural thing. 

Edit:

Views toward homosexuality in NI 2012.
70% of Catholics say SSM is valid. 
39% of Protestants say SSM is valid. 

You have to keep in mind that Catholics tend to be a lot younger in NI. 

spacer.png

Edited by Both Sides Now

Everyone could see this coming. Irish catholics had the highest birth-rate in europe last decade while the UK had one of the lowest in Europe and relies heavily on immigrants to keep it's population growing but that's mostly for England.

This is more about identity then religion, right? Personally I'd like to see a Ireland reunification, I know there are a quite a few obstacles, but I think it could happen

Catholics do it better ask all the icons.

gaga

Madonna

shakira

bad bunny (basically all the hot Latin artists duh)

jlo

lana del rey 

Idk what’s going on but anyone leaving the ugly royal terrorists and their oppression is good. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.