Is Positions the worst popgirl album of 2020?

GentleDance

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sazare

• The Music Industry

• KatyPrismSpirit

• Roman Holiday

2 hours ago, Selegend said:

the audacity some of u have to trash Rare when we know must of u are only doing so cuz it didn't have an era and Selena was with 0% energy and yep kinda boring that time... 

doesn't change the fact that "Souvenir", "Lose You To Love Me", "Feel Me" and "Vulnerable" alone are better than full albums listed on the OP 

:deadbanana2: it's a pretty good pop album. 

Literally only Selena stans find those songs good :rip: 

An album with My Hair, Love Language, Safety Net, West Side, Positions, and POV is a win for me. 

And everything else is still very enjoyable to me (bar six thirty and shut up, messes).

Edited by jjmed59

1 hour ago, superben said:

Literally only Selena stans find those songs good :rip: 

Sure, thats why LYTLM hit #1 everywhere and is reaching 1 billion streams on Spotify alone and Souvenir has more than 100 million combined streams and Feel Me more than 200 million combined streams being two deluxe version tracks. Souvenir without any playlisting or promo at all, just a deluxe regular track. 
didnt know selenators streamed sooo hard, but thats great news, thank you!! 

Edited by Selegend

Its a very mid album. Title track is a serve and Motive deserved to be a single, but I never actually got through the album in full. It just did not hold my interest whatsoever. And this is coming from someone who has LOVED her since 2014. 

is it the worst album of that year? Not by a long shot. 34+35 is a contender for worst song of 2020 tho

On 9/22/2022 at 4:18 AM, KatyPrismSpirit said:

the trap influenced pop trend was sooo over at that point. everyone was dropping dance albums. 

So if Ariana drops what everyone else is dropping she’s chasing trends and if she drops the complete opposite is automatically bad? Y’all are dumb :dies:

Also, only Dua and maybe Gaga dropped “dance” albums, wdym everyone? :rip:

OT: no one thinks Positions is this sort of masterpiece, but like everyone else pointed out it is better than Rare, Chromatica and Smile, Good News and even Blue Banisters 

On 9/21/2022 at 11:17 PM, RihFenty20 said:

You literally stan Taylor Swift. Pls get some self awareness and look in the mirror before you call anyone’s music “uninspired, reductive, flavorless, and bland”

Yes, we stan Taylor Swift, the only female artist to win Album Of The Year 3 times and the Main Pop Girl with the highest average album critic score on Metacritic :rip:An embarrassing take from someone who stans Rihanna of all people :rip:

OT: Absolutely

2 hours ago, The Music Industry said:

Yes, we stan Taylor Swift, the only female artist to win Album Of The Year 3 times and the Main Pop Girl with the highest average album critic score on Metacritic :rip:An embarrassing take from someone who stans Rihanna of all people :rip:

OT: Absolutely

The Grammys don’t mean anything :rip: Stay clinging to plaques voted on by industry bigwigs who see dollar signs as indicators of quality :rip:

Just now, Sazare said:

The Grammys don’t mean anything :rip: Stay clinging to plaques voted on by industry bigwigs who see dollar signs as indicators of quality :rip:

I know :deadbanana2:those and her lukewarm writing are the only things they can cling to

OT: NO. We stan Ariana’s best album and her amazing writing and singing and stage presence :alexz:

• ATRL Moderator
On 9/21/2022 at 10:25 PM, RihFenty20 said:

That’s not the drag you think it is. Rihanna’s music is anything but those adjectives, but you already knew that. Either way, you should be the last person speaking on anyone’s music when your fav has been making the same song since 2006. That’s the point. Stick to pretending her music is good and stop speaking on people who are actually talented :rip:

Ah yes, these all sound identical.

There's a way to have a discussion without resorting to this level of hate sis.

• ATRL Moderator

I don't think it's bad by any means, just kinda meh compared to the albums that she put out before it.  I'd say Smile is weaker (sorry Katy).

Positions is not a bad album :rip: 

and it's definitely better than Good News, Chromatica, Rare and Alicia 

• ATRL Moderator
2 hours ago, Sazare said:

Jon Batiste, one of the least popular and lowest selling nominees, won AOTY this year.  Let's not.

It IS trash tbh and the numbers she had with this era prove that number dont mean quality :hoetenks:

2 hours ago, Sazare said:

Guess you felt comfortable just chucking out the window the part where I also highlighted she has the highest average critic score for her albums out of all the MPGs :rip:

53 minutes ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Jon Batiste, one of the least popular and lowest selling nominees, won AOTY this year.  Let's not.

But he’s a nepotism act with exactly zero critical plaudits. So his win doesn’t really negate my overall premise that the Grammys are a farce with precisely zero fingers on the pulse of what’s the best or most defining music of the year.

46 minutes ago, The Music Industry said:

Guess you felt comfortable just chucking out the window the part where I also highlighted she has the highest average critic score for her albums out of all the MPGs :rip:

I mean I didn’t really care as much about that part of your post to respond to it — although truthfully, taylor did immensely benefit from switching to pop JUST after poptimism began taking hold, whereas her previous albums were in a genre that was MUCH easier to get high metascores in, a factor that none of taylor’s contemporaries were able to benefit from. Your Grammy wins argument was just too desperate, facile, and, to be frank, embarrassing for me not to call out.

39 minutes ago, Sazare said:

although truthfully, taylor did immensely benefit from switching to pop JUST after poptimism began taking hold

I mean, she herself is one of the main reasons why poptimism became what it did but some people are not ready for that conversation :giraffe:

1 hour ago, MissedTheTrain said:

Ah yes, these all sound identical.

There's a way to have a discussion without resorting to this level of hate sis.

Exactly :rip: 

NONE of the songs on Debut would fit on Red and none of the songs on Red would fit on Reputation and none of the songs on Reputation would fit on folklore/evermore but SOMEHOW Taylor's music supposedly all sound the same. Imagine how tired we are :rip:

9 hours ago, Selegend said:

Sure, thats why LYTLM hit #1 everywhere and is reaching 1 billion streams on Spotify alone and Souvenir has more than 100 million combined streams and Feel Me more than 200 million combined streams being two deluxe version tracks. Souvenir without any playlisting or promo at all, just a deluxe regular track. 
didnt know selenators streamed sooo hard, but thats great news, thank you!! 

So your rationale is that they're good because they have some above average streaming stats?

And please, LYTLM got decent success mainly at least partially due to Bieber :rip: She got the timing perfectly.

6 hours ago, Sazare said:

Not sure what’s so edgy about finding Rare bad but do you I suppose

Ok edgelord (2)

Sigh. Plastic hearts deserved better.

OT: its down there with smile and chromatica. The unholy trinity :weeps:

10 hours ago, The Music Industry said:

I mean, she herself is one of the main reasons why poptimism became what it did but some people are not ready for that conversation :giraffe:

Poptimism went mainstream because of The Fame (Monster), BEYONCÉ, and Body Talk, all of which predated taylor going pop by some time.

3 hours ago, Sazare said:

Poptimism went mainstream because of The Fame (Monster), BEYONCÉ, and Body Talk, all of which predated taylor going pop by some time.

:rip:Ok

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.