Viola Davis' The Woman King reigns at the box office with $19M debut

Broken

image.jpg

The Viola Davis-starring, Gina Prince-Bythewood-directed, West Africa set historical epic opened in first place with an above-expectations $19 million. More important than the overperforming opening, though, is its A+ CinemaScore, making The Woman King just the second film of the year to receive the top grade from audiences (the other was Top Gun: Maverick).

Critics agree with audiences that The Woman King is a winner (it’s at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes), and its status may get a further boost when awards season comes around. The film opened in 3,765 theaters, and audiences felt this was one to see on the biggest screen around as 34% of its gross came from IMAX and other premium large format (PLF) screens. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed1785791492/?ref_=bo_hm_hp

jump-attack-the-woman-king.gif

Racists LOST.

She saw people clowning her for her Michelle Obama portrayal and said I’m coming back with a HIT.

I’m excited to watch this. October is going to be a big month for me with both this and Barbarian hitting UK cinemas.

31 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Didn’t they make their money off the slave trade?

Everyone alive has benefited from some form of slavery unfortunately. 

31 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Haven’t we all in a way

• ATRL Moderator
1 hour ago, Rowan said:

music-1998-TheseAreSpecialTimes-C944E1_s

we live in a capitalist society built off of slave trade and CONTINUES to make money off of the reinvented slave trade i.e. the prison-industrial complex. but ya, black art slaying at the box office is now where you want to start talking about the slave trade, how transparent :ahh: 

you running your racist, white supremacist ass crying white tears into a thread fuming about the "success" (I say "success" because it "succeeds" in a still very racist society) of black art in media to make provocative comments in the hopes of riling up POC and their allies? nope. you can't go even a few weeks at a time between your violations in here without making some kind of dig at the black community or supporting pro-white rhetoric. this is your 3rd ZTP and you're gone. gtfo here. 

Are ppl not allowed to talk about the background of this film? :rip: gonna assume that user has some other prior offenses…

• ATRL Moderator
21 minutes ago, VOSS said:

Are ppl not allowed to talk about the background of this film? :rip: gonna assume that user has some other prior offenses…

because suddenly people wanna start talking about how problematic the work of art is when it's a black cast with a black director and depicting black history. it's a hollywood film, obviously it's not going to be fully historically accurate. 

that member (yes, with prior offenses hence their THIRD ZTP) purposefully wanted to detract from the actual topic to derail this into a teardown conversation about this film when most white art does worse. the intentions feeding rhetoric that attempts to paint this film as problematic is rather concerning to me but that is NOT a conversation for this thread. 

this is a box office thread. so it is also off topic. you may not like me for whatever reason, but lay off and stop being an issue when I'm addressing a legitimate problem of racism in this community. thanks. 

Just watched it last night and really enjoyed it. Strong storyline and good acting. :clap3: 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Juanny said:

because suddenly people wanna start talking about how problematic the work of art is when it's a black cast with a black director and depicting black history. it's a hollywood film, obviously it's not going to be fully historically accurate.

It was cute, and was good! Solid b+
I will say the trailers paint a much darker tone than what the film actually was! Kinda cheesy in some aspects but athe stronger aspects hit very well!