Is Gaga capable of releasing an "American Life"?

Almost Home

Would Gaga dare do it?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would she?

After releasing one of her bigger commercial juggernauts "Music" (including her last #1 single in the US) Madonna decided to reinvent herself yet again. Despite receiving mixed reviews at the time and underperforming commercially Madonna's "American Life" is by far one of biggest political statements and controversials LPs (and eras) in Madonna's discography and released by a major pop girl.

From getting her music banned from the radio, death threats, CDs pulled and refused to be sold by numerous record stores, CDs burned in public due to her public anti-war stance and censorship in the media including the media and outlets that she herself put on the map she became one of the biggest pop star targets simply by voicing her views and going against the public sentiment at the time (both held by a large amount of the US public and the then president).

The MV for "American Life" ended up getting heavily censored and she even had to issue an apology, her singles outright flopped and she took an experimental approach w both her music and her image delivering heavily controversial political statements, making public commentary on the American society and even calling out the industry that made her the pop icon she was at the time.

Madonna was always a highly polarizing figure and this was not the first time she has gone against the grain and refused to back down but even at the risk of destroying her career and her entire legacy she still delivered one of an all time underappreciated pop albums and social commentaries and bounced back w a glorious comeback w her next release while being able to stand for what she thought was the LP she wanted to make.

Do you think Gaga would dare to do something similarly controversial now that she has established herself as a pop culture stable or she will continue to be more safe and accessible in order to conform?

Discuss. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Almost Home

• ♚ PRiNCE HiGH ♚

• GlamSlam

• Phaunzie

I don’t think Gaga possess the range.

She’s a progressive pop star who sells out to military propaganda movies. 

She already did with BTW, because both of those albums are awful and their worst respectively by a wide margin.

She's not capable of releasing a masterpiece like ROL tho :coffee2:

24 minutes ago, Buddy said:

American Life is not some sort of masterpiece, the majority of it is actually quite bad

The album itself has received tons of retrospective praise and a lot of negative publicity surrounding it was heavily influenced by some of the things outlined in the OP but regardless of that the OP asks if Gaga would be able to deliver an all-encompassing era like AL w a vision, risk and a strong message that will go further beyond utilizing existing socially acceptable statements (where she lives) and give us an unfiltered, non-subdued and liberated release politically and otherwise?

BTW was def an attempt but it was too early into her career and it did not pose a risk to her legacy (she was one album and an EP in - or just one album depending on your categorization).

Now that she has built a legacy of her own by this point she is having to conform w subdued releases like CHROMATICA or L4S while clearly still having very strong and opinionated background herself. It would be interesting to see but would she do it at this stage in her career? :gaycat:

7 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

The album itself has received tons of retrospective praise and a lot of negative publicity surrounding it was heavily influenced by some of the things outlined in the OP but regardless of that the OP asks if Gaga would be able to deliver an all-encompassing era like AL w a vision, risk and a strong message that will go further beyond utilizing existing socially acceptable statements (where she lives) and give us an unfiltered, non-subdued and liberated release politically and otherwise?

BTW was def an attempt but it was too early into her career and it did not pose a risk to her legacy (she was one album and an EP in - or just one album depending on your categorization).

Now that she has built a legacy of her own by this point she is having to conform w subdued releases like CHROMATICA or L4S while clearly still having very strong and opinionated background herself. It would be interesting to see but would she do it at this stage in her career? :gaycat:

To answer this seriously, Born This Way was just as risky as American Life and Gaga’s career was irreparably damaged by it. For example, she was banned from performing in Indonesia. 

Would she do something as risky as AL today? I think the answer is no. It’s clear that after ARTPOP she has receded from baiting controversy. 

In terms of the actual political statement, American Life was an odd album. Only around 3 or 4 songs are actually about “American Life” or at least consumerism while the rest are sort of confessional in the same vein as Music. Whatever M was trying to achieve with that era is kind of muddled. The lead single and video were definitely daring though. 

15 minutes ago, Almost Home said:

I'm drinking a soy latte
I get a double shotee
It goes right through my body
And you know I'm satisfied
I drive my mini cooper
And I'm feeling super-dooper
Yo they tell I'm a trooper
I do yoga and pilates
And the room is full of hotties
So I'm checking out the bodies
I'm digging on the isotopes
This metaphysics **** is dope

5 minutes ago, Buddy said:

I'm drinking a soy latte
I get a double shotee
It goes right through my body
I drive my mini cooper
And I'm feeling super-dooper
Yo they tell I'm a trooper
I do yoga and pilates
And the room is full of hotties
So I'm checking out the bodies
I'm digging on the isotopes
This metaphysics **** is dope

Please it's so easy to decontextualize things and make light of them when in reality: 

If “needs a hobby outside a forum” is a thread :beach:

Edited by infrared

hopefully not that album is god awful, and madonna mostly sound tone deaf on her political views

American Life is a masterpiece.

That is all.

Anyone who disagrees is a moron.

3 hours ago, Rowan said:

A panned try hard album that bombed? Hopefully not. 

I mean… she already has at least one of those. :rip: 

No. She’s very much an establishment girl, gunned hard for Biden, republican parents, soundtrack recorded for a Military propaganda film, etc. She daren’t rock the boat on anything other than identity issues. 

TBH Joanne was kinda an American Life? IDK. Unless Gaga decided to be transphobic or something, I'm not sure what divisive political issue she could get behind that would keep her stans on her side.

AL being one of M’s worst and the answer is still no :deadbanana: 

3 hours ago, Almost Home said:

it did not pose a risk to her legacy

:ahh:

the takes you read on atrl