Why Men Don’t Want To Be Elementary School Teachers

Sergi91

18 hours ago, RunUpDoneUp said:

Meh, the idea of male predation was created by...who was it...?...oh yeah, straight MEN.

Straight men saw it as feminine to work with young kids; that it was a woman's job and anything involving some semblance of emotional intelligence and being gentle was either to use against the party involved(ie pedophilia) or as a sign of deviance ie. homosexual inclination.

Straight men created these societal issues, reinforce them then complain about them. Classic.

I feel bad for any guy trying to pursue their passions in child rearing and the like but until straight men consider it an issue worth remedying, their stigma is set in stone. It's why we must vehemently oppose sexism and misogyny, women's issues are aways tied to men's issues, whether they see it or not. Also there is a higher pedophile quotient there(of women assaulting male students) but that isn't an issue because straight men aren't interested in pedophilia when boys are the victims, they believe it makes them strong and ladies men to be assaulted. They want the abuse to continue as a right of passage really.

The world is run by hurt men interested in hurting everyone else.

Straight women have just as much culpability in this. I'm tired of gays acting like women are hapless victims of patriarchy and don't ever exploit it for their own gain. :toofunny3: 

I guarantee you most "concerned" calls made about a male teacher are from fat, middle-aged Karens.

Edited by Roman Holiday

On 9/18/2022 at 5:55 AM, Dolce Vita said:

i remember in 1st grade my teacher would pick kids up out of their chairs and throw them on the floor if they forgot their books 

Oh..my..god…I-

ellie-goulding-wwe-chair.gif

I am a teacher and he is absolutely right - there is a stigma surrounding males working in the lower grades. Luckily my elementary school has a few male staff members but they're fourth and fifth grade teachers and another is an interventionist teacher. 

I wish we didn't have that awful stigma but some people still think regressively. :doc:

I feel like this is a generally interests thing as well. Women interest are more with working with small kids than men probably. 

On 9/17/2022 at 12:08 PM, Sergi91 said:

Sad but true. 
I believe we have a couple of Atrler teachers here but can’t recall who they are. I wish they see this thread and give us their 2 cents on this matter. 

I was a 6th grade teacher last year, and when I subbed prior to becoming a contracted teacher, I did work with kids as young as preschoolers, kindergartners, etc. :)

That being said, this guy is 100% spot on. In my teaching career, especially as a fully-contracted teacher with his own classroom, you are basically a celebrity, and I don't mean to say that teaching makes me think I'm on par with an MPG. I mean that every behavior/word/action is watched under a microscope, and you are the talk of parents, admin., people on your team, your students' friends-- basically any person in your student and/or school's life. It is true that as male teachers, there are double standards, like being able to help a young female student physically go from one monkey bar to the next. 

45 minutes ago, zasderfght said:

I was a 6th grade teacher last year, and when I subbed prior to becoming a contracted teacher, I did work with kids as young as preschoolers, kindergartners, etc. :)

That being said, this guy is 100% spot on. In my teaching career, especially as a fully-contracted teacher with his own classroom, you are basically a celebrity, and I don't mean to say that teaching makes me think I'm on par with an MPG. I mean that every behavior/word/action is watched under a microscope, and you are the talk of parents, admin., people on your team, your students' friends-- basically any person in your student and/or school's life. It is true that as male teachers, there are double standards, like being able to help a young female student physically go from one monkey bar to the next. 

Thank you for sharing! If you don’t mind me asking… what do you teach now? Are you in California? I’m thinking of teaching SPED.

8 hours ago, Sergi91 said:

Thank you for sharing! If you don’t mind me asking… what do you teach now? Are you in California? I’m thinking of teaching SPED.

I will be a full-time sub next month. It's funny because subbing for the city district, I will make more money than my last teaching job in the 'burbs. I don't want to disclose where I live, but I'm in the midwest (so not from California). 

It's great that you want to become a teacher, but just keeping it real, this is probably the worst time to become a teacher. You will certainly find a job, however, the behavioral issues are insane, admin. keeps adding more and more expectations, and districts will happily fire you for whatever reason and just replace you with another non-tenured teacher. 

On 9/18/2022 at 7:51 PM, RunUpDoneUp said:

Meh, the idea of male predation was created by...who was it...?...oh yeah, straight MEN.

Straight men saw it as feminine to work with young kids; that it was a woman's job and anything involving some semblance of emotional intelligence and being gentle was either to use against the party involved(ie pedophilia) or as a sign of deviance ie. homosexual inclination.

Straight men created these societal issues, reinforce them then complain about them. Classic.

I feel bad for any guy trying to pursue their passions in child rearing and the like but until straight men consider it an issue worth remedying, their stigma is set in stone. It's why we must vehemently oppose sexism and misogyny, women's issues are aways tied to men's issues, whether they see it or not. Also there is a higher pedophile quotient there(of women assaulting male students) but that isn't an issue because straight men aren't interested in pedophilia when boys are the victims, they believe it makes them strong and ladies men to be assaulted. They want the abuse to continue as a right of passage really.

The world is run by hurt men interested in hurting everyone else.

true. it's also why jobs that are seen as feminine, that are dominated by women, pay low

I am an elementary teacher and I think it depends on the majority of the teachers who teach in the school, their mindset or their level of consciousness but I understand this kind of issues exist in many schools. 

As for being seen as feminine, it depends tho. I am naturally a very nurturing person, kids or adult, I am a great example of being a nurturer or their mom/dad :ahh:

How I counterattack this stigma is by my hobby, I went hiking, I did sport and everything is fine. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.