MaXXXine (2024) | Now slaying in theaters | MiXXXed reviews

genetic fail

Not bad, not great. An interesting proposal and kudos for trying to not repeat over three movies. X wasn't a masterpiece so it's not like I was overhyped about this one, but I liked the giallo style and hope it will bring more people unaware to revisit some classic movies of that genre.

Mia is excellent but most characters are weirdly written and acted. Love Elisabeth but her character seems to bring to nowhere and in its own distinct movie.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genetic fail

• Reverse Warholian

• Uncatena

• The Witch

This was a hot mess and not in a good or even enjoyable way. For a film about Maxine we basically learn nothing new about her or have her character meaningfully tested in any way. Instead we're left with a stream of Things Happening with little goal besides Look I'm Referring To This and some desperate attempts to be adopted as flavour of the week twitter memes. We barely even get any kills! It looks like a Shudder Original! They should have spent a bit less on the needlessly star-studded (minus Halsey) cast and a bit more on... everything else.

• Like 1

This was aesthetically gorgeous, but that's about it. It felt messy, half-baked, and directionless, and it wasn't campy or serious enough to succeed at either of those things. Sad because it had all the ingredients to be really good.

• Like 2

i didn't care for it, and i could see why people didn't like it. I mean hey, i didn't have a terrible time watching it, but i'll probably never watch it again. It was extremely predictable too. I feel like the opening to the movie made the killer extremely obvious from the start.

Spoiler

also Halsey and Lily having like 2 lines before their death.. :rip:

it's kinda just there to wrap up her story - not as horror-esque as Pearl or X

Watched it again (a friend had a spare ticket). I think my rating dropped from 7/!0 to maybe a generous 6/10. The things that I was not "OK" with were just more glaring this time around.

Like someone said: the ingredients were there, it just missed substance. Most of Ti West's movies (for me anyway) have substance or an underlying theme that is so, so, so very human, which is why I followed this guy's career ever since watching The Roost back in the day and THOTD solidified it.

Don't know what exactly happened here, but after a very strong first half of plunging us into Maxine's world, the second half just drifts off and does basically nothing. 

Great gowns, beautiful gowns - but ultimately compared to most of his previous works, this one falls very flat IMO. And I am probably in the minority here, but even Mia's acting was not it after the first half. Maybe the fault lies in the direction though?

Hoping he's done with the X-universe for now (he got 2 out of 3 right) and comes back with something different and worthwhile again.

missed all sightings in my area so waiting for it to become available on hd online through yk the p-word

Edited by Petra von Kant

Longlegs kinda took away all the hype from Maxxxine

Halsey delivering her (only) two lines made me scream :dies:  maybe stick to singing Ashley

• Haha 1

Wes Craven would have been delighted to experience this trilogy live. :clap3::heart2:

It's actually insane how Ti West has been becoming a master of horror like this, especially adding to the slasher subgenre so much fresh spins and commentary. 

MaXXXine definitely is intense crime thriller first and foremost, but with a bit of giallo sprinkling here and there. I guess Ti West could have committed to one style, but the 1980s' were rampant in every sense and mix of everything we adhere to even today more or less, so I see how MaXXXine's structure turned out to be vast that one could have a feeling all these characters are submerged and lost. But they are not really. 

I can agree that all kill scenes could have been on screen, but ones that are visible and clear are hitting it big time, especially certain one. :biblio:

I just like how this movie completes X's loose ends regarding religion and its impact on everything that has been happening in all these movies, because West is definitely not hiding it being the root of the problem in this movie. We are back to be reminded of televangelism and how it further helped society and culture to be shaped by religion in more wrong ways than good. Elizabeth's Debicki's character is also very important in that aspect, and she also nailed it. All that while making finale pretty personal and raw (reminded me a bit of Swallow, very much subtle thriller, but the core relationship and finale hold similar weight to what happens between two core crucial characters here too ) even though a bit ludicrous, but when we remember Jim Jones and Jonestown Massacre and mix it with actual Richard Ramirez, can we actually deem MaXXXine as too much? Unfortunately, no. It just documents another era in certain part of the world and its implications. 

Like Craven and Kevin Williamson, Ti West documents timely societal phenomena and how it affects both young, but older generations too throwing splatter and body count in the mix, but never losing idea what motivates psyche of all the characters. 

I hoped it would end well and not disappoint and maybe we are ready to experience West's take on the 1990s. :campfire:

Edited by Lemon
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler

Original Scream 3 opening scene involved double kill of Cotton Weary and his girlfriend Christina, but not in their apartment, but around Hollywood sign in the hills of LA.

Crazy that aftermath/finale of MaXXXine is happening on that spot. Put a smile on my face. :storm:

Aesthetically gorgeous - great gowns beautiful gowns...
The story started great and then it went nowhere. We barely saw the passion behind Maxine's character, that's what made X so good.
I hated the ending, it felt halfbaked. Not to mention that there were barely any killer scenes??? It felt like a comedy to me.

I still enjoyed it but felt disappointed after the amazing X and Pearl.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching it now and her accent is a lot like Sookie from True Blood:cupid:

caught it with my bf the other night and forgot to log it on letterboxd so go figure lol. It was ok, the twist was obvious but I still liked it but I kinda hated how they had to constantly show you again things in case you missed it :deadbanana2:. Like when she figures out the location.... girl I dont need this spoon fed to me I've been watching for 80 minutes already :deadbanana2:

on a side note, like 3 whole minutes before the movie ended the theater turned on the lights :deadbanana4: so we watched the final moments with them big lamps ruining our vision

On 7/24/2024 at 3:27 AM, Lemon said:
  Hide contents

Original Scream 3 opening scene involved double kill of Cotton Weary and his girlfriend Christina, but not in their apartment, but around Hollywood sign in the hills of LA.

Crazy that aftermath/finale of MaXXXine is happening on that spot. Put a smile on my face. :storm:

So funny that you mention Scream 3. Maxxxine reminded me so much of that movie!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.