Olivia blames the Internet for DWD being panned

Alak96

The movie probably isn’t great but the negative publicity of late definitely influenced some critics

Is there a degree of pile-on that's not warranted? Only barely. And has it slanted some of the critical reception? Only slightly.

Anyone's that's followed this debacle closely since production started until now is not going to be gaslit or fooled by these crocodile tears. 

Starting with the cacophony of blinds that came out confirming she did in fact cheat on Jason with Harry prior to their reported "separation".

Then continuing with the entire Shia LaBoeuf drama where she blatantly lied and Shia had the receipts on hand and provided them. 

Her team's effort to reframe this to "shaming a female director with little in the industry" they're now trying is truly shameless.

Let's be honest, if the movie was good it would have rose above any drama that was associated with it. 

serving Elizabeth Banks when her Charlie's Angels movie flopped and got panned

Misogyny in a patriarchal industry and society as a whole. Men in show business can do all sorts of wrongdoing time and time again, yet a woman is scrutinized and lambasted for her every single move.

I’ll still see the movie. 

I didn't know this mediocre actress was so full of herself :deadbanana:

Like, what movie has she been amazing in? her career consists of sexy supporting roles

57 minutes ago, Stepfon said:

Let's be honest, if the movie was good it would have rose above any drama that was associated with it. 

Florence and her performance somehow is the only thing that did against all odds and her star should absolutely rise from this :coffee2: 

ngl i read the general plot on rotten tomatoes and this is exactly the kinda plot i will GOBBLE UP. 

my GEN Z SEX LOVING DYSTOPIA LOVING GAY A** is looking for nearby showings at this very moment.

Edited by selena_lavigne

1 hour ago, BuzzCharts said:

The movie probably isn’t great but the negative publicity of late definitely influenced some critics

Agreed.

It’s too soon to make an accurate judgment. Reviews always have recency bias in one direction or the other. Time is truly the ultimate truth teller when it comes to cinema.

A good example is that I don’t think Scarface was very acclaimed when it first came out - people thought the movie was too violent and over the top. Now it’s one of the most influential movies of all time in its genre. Not that I’m saying DWD is on the same level as Scarface :toofunny2: But she has a point. it’s impossible to be completely impartial while watching a movie.

Some movies look better with time and others look worse with time. so we’ll see how darling pans out.

lets be real, Harry attracted bad publicity. He is not a good actor and he shouldn't be given roles next to big stars just because he's popular. 

she sounds like she will not get better as a director. She seems like she cannot take valid criticism. Most of the critics were criticizing the screenplay, dialogue and Harry lackluster performance. Did the drama maybe obscure some of the goodwill critics initially had before viewing the film? Maybe. But not to the point where you can make a blanket statement like this and dismiss all the criticism as a social media dog pile. Girl your movie is just trash according to critics. Take the L and learn. I'll still watch it because I want to see it for myself and I'm sure tons of ppl will do the same so the film could end up making a profit for her regardless. That could be a success in of itself. 

i mean, none of the critics hated it.

of 25 reviews on metacritic, zero are in the red.

2 hours ago, MusicTalker said:

It’s too soon to make an accurate judgment. Reviews always have recency bias in one direction or the other. Time is truly the ultimate truth teller when it comes to cinema.

A good example is that I don’t think Scarface was very acclaimed when it first came out - people thought the movie was too violent and over the top. Now it’s one of the most influential movies of all time in its genre. Not that I’m saying DWD is on the same level as Scarface :toofunny2: But she has a point. it’s impossible to be completely impartial while watching a movie.

Some movies look better with time and others look worse with time. so we’ll see how darling pans out.

I mean let’s be real - the psychological thriller genre is overloaded right now, and the film isn’t even Florence Pugh’s most notable feminist psychological thriller. Even if it’s better than the critiques are letting on, I can’t see it being considered a seminal work when people have been making Stepford Wives comparisons since the trailer dropped. 

With that said, I love this kinda stuff so I’ll still be watching. 

10 hours ago, ALittleGauche said:

Misogyny in a patriarchal industry and society as a whole. Men in show business can do all sorts of wrongdoing time and time again, yet a woman is scrutinized and lambasted for her every single move.

The movie was panned because Harry Styles couldn’t act to save his life. What are you even talking about…

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.