Woman claims white people shouldn't use gifs containing black people, do you agree?

ithinkheknowsoutsold

Is she right?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. ?

Edited by ithinkheknowsoutsold

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ithinkheknowsoutsold

• ToMmY

• Mr.Link

• BOOMBAYAH

No and I hope her rent gets jacked up so she ends up homeless.

Yesn't - her tweet ends with "on everything" - if they're literally using only gifs of black people that's kinda weird, but in general no, let people use gifs :redface:

Edited by skyupsahl

I use all races of gifs equally. :nicole:

Actually now that I think about it maybe not many Indian gifs. What are the hit Indian gifs, girls? 

This debate has been going on for YEARS. I remember people calling it 'digital blackface' long before covid already

Her tweet specific mentions 'on everything', which does make it 100% weird imo

6 minutes ago, Alongoria13 said:

No and I hope her rent gets jacked up so she ends up homeless.

:deadbanana4:

Low-key same though.

1 minute ago, Sesame said:

Actually now that I think about it maybe not many Indian gifs. What are the hit Indian gifs, girls? 

Not Indian (Pakistani), but desi people don't really have many gifs and such, because we skipped the gif era and landed straight in the reaction videos era.

There a LOT of hilarious reaction videos though.

9 minutes ago, Sesame said:

I2K0K7h.gif?noredirect

She sounds insane 

6 minutes ago, Sesame said:

Quwörl...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some of the most iconic hit-gifs are from india. India has the MGG (main-gif-girls) and it's not even up for discussion. 

Does anyone remember the gif with a woman dramatically falling into a curtain only to hang herself in it? Isn't that also a woman in traditional indian clothing?

She’s absolutely right. The key is “on everything”. It’s one thing to use a gif of a beloved meme queen like New York or Wendy or a well known reaction in the meme canon, but if you’re just using random gifs of black people doing something completely unrelated to whatever you’re talking about it’s bizarre and straight white people do it incessantly.

That said, I almost never see gay men (myself included) use gifs/memes where men are the subject but that’s a different conversation :mandown:

Edited by Domination

It always makes me feel uncomfortable when white people use a gif of a black person making a silly face. It gives off racist undertone 

the key words are "ON EVERYTHING" and in that sense I don't disagree

I don't see a problem on using them ocasionally if you're not making fun of black people, using them all the time i guess it's weird.

I do remember cringing at people on my social media using the black emojis back when they made several tones available, and they would use captions on their IG posts like Brown Sugar, Melanin and stuff like that, sure they are POC but their skin was tan at most. It was kinda cringe how everyone was trying to be black :rip:

she has that 'on everything' part ok

but in general, idc what race is the person, if the gif fits and it's funny, it doesn't matter

this faux wokeness..

b09223b3c6af028c47e0c1e509ae15a1_w200.gi

Context matters. I know this one Twitter user who’s a white 22 year old from Eastern Europe who is constantly using AAVE and using black women as reaction photos and it seems very…weird? It gives that problematic “my inner black woman” thing non-black gay men use to say in the early 2010s. I think if you just use reaction memes of anyone casually it’s fine, but if your entire meme arsenal is just black people existing then yeah it’s strange. 

I’m black and I really don’t care.? people on the internet really do complain about anything. It’s a Gif, it’s not hurting anyone. Especially if it’s just a reaction or meme. 

Edited by Gorjesspazze9

Isn’t this basically just the whole “digital blackface” discussion again? But yeah, it’s a nuanced thing, it’s a bit weird if it’s truly “on everything” but at the end of the day I think most people aren’t really doing anything wrong. It does inspire some thoughtful conversation about this kind of thing happening in queer spaces online though, especially those dominated by gay men. It’s something to think about.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.