Taylor Swift - ‘Midnights’

Almodusa

2 hours ago, mael said:

lol please fact check. I was one of the first ones to defend midnights when it came out in this VERY THREAD. Unfortunately most of it has aged like Lover.

Some of y'all you can't handle criticism and it shows. She ain't paying y'all to defend Her this hard. 

TSl9DOI.gif

You “supposedly” defended her once and now you have a free pass to hate on her anytime you come here. Anyway talking about videography : Brit’s one sucks 

• Replies 51.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PoisonedIvy

• By the Water

• Squall

• simmnfierzig

I will never understand the hate for her self directed videos here :rip: ESPECIALLY for All Too Well. I swear some of you get off on hating things 

Yeah some of yall are WEIRD AF. I would get it if you hated her directing if it somehow impeded in her making music or something but no. Sis gives us TONS of music AND directs as a passion project and she is getting SO good at it too. How can some of you watch Cardigan and Bejeweled's mvs and genuinely say they are bad? They are VERY well directed. 

Taylor is also someone who is VERY self aware and humble. Yall think she thinks she's on the level of the directors she'll be mixing with? No. She clearly knows she is a novice in this industry and is seeking to create connections for the long term aim of potentially going deeper into directing which we should CELEBRATE and support. It's so rare for women to direct in the first place...let alone a woman who started off in music. This is ambitious AF and we should nurture it imo. Don't clip her wings before she even has time to flap them guys. Like come on. 

Anyways, I read somewhere here someone said Taylor's videography is weak....you've got to be kidding right?! :skull: Taylor is probably one of the artists with the strongest videographies ever. She has been consistently serving quality mvs since Red era (with a few genuinely great videos from earlier eras too). She cares about her visual game which is surprising for an artist who is so known for her music first rather than her visuals. 

Also imo, if she were to collab with other directors to direct future mvs then I would want her to work with new ppl not go back to Joseph Kahn. I personally think his work with her was solid but you could tell he reached his creative maximum with her by the end of the Reputation era. Now I want Taylor to direct most of her videos AND occasionally collab with new directors here and there for diversity's sake. That's it. But to want her to go back to having Joseph direct like ALL her mvs would just be ridiculous. I feel like Joseph peaked with Taylor when they made that stunning mv for Wildest Dreams. Delicate was also a really beautiful effort and a nice way for them to part ways. 

It seems like some people are striving so hard to not be a cupcake that they have swung to the exact opposite position of being an edgy contrarian :toofunny2:

spacer.png

Edited by Headlock

3 minutes ago, IBeMe said:

Yeah some of yall are WEIRD AF. I would get it if you hated her directing if it somehow impeded in her making music or something but no. Sis gives us TONS of music AND directs as a passion project and she is getting SO good at it too. How can some of you watch Cardigan and Bejeweled's mvs and genuinely say they are bad? They are VERY well directed. 

Taylor is also someone who is VERY self aware and humble. Yall think she thinks she's on the level of the directors she'll be mixing with? No. She clearly knows she is a novice in this industry and is seeking to create connections for the long term aim of potentially going deeper into directing which we should CELEBRATE and support. It's so rare for women to direct in the first place...let alone a woman who started off in music. This is ambitious AF and we should nurture it imo. Don't clip her wings before she even has time to flap them guys. Like come on. 

Anyways, I read somewhere here someone said Taylor's videography is weak....you've got to be kidding right?! :skull: Taylor is probably one of the artists with the strongest videographies ever. She has been consistently serving quality mvs since Red era (with a few genuinely great videos from earlier eras too). She cares about her visual game which is surprising for an artist who is so known for her music first rather than her visuals. 

Also imo, if she were to collab with other directors to direct future mvs then I would want her to work with new ppl not go back to Joseph Kahn. I personally think his work with her was solid but you could tell he reached his creative maximum with her by the end of the Reputation era. Now I want Taylor to direct most of her videos AND occasionally collab with new directors here and there for diversity's sake. That's it. But to want her to go back to having Joseph direct like ALL her mvs would just be ridiculous. I feel like Joseph peaked with Taylor when they made that stunning mv for Wildest Dreams. Delicate was also a really beautiful effort and a nice way for them to part ways. 

Yeah suddenly all of them care about indie producers when they watched none of these movies 

2 minutes ago, Headlock said:

It seems like some people are striving so hard to not be a cupcake that they have swung to the exact opposite position of being an edgy contrarian :toofunny2:

I dont know what's been going on with the fan base these past few days. Like I have never seen a fan base meltdown over their fav pursuing big goals before :toofunny2: 

2 minutes ago, ugo said:

Yeah suddenly all of them care about indie producers when they watched none of these movies 

nnnnnn exactly lol. Like they are acting like these ppl are so above her or something when they havnt even checked a single project they made. Plus Taylor is humble enough to know she is new to this world. She's not going to be going to these panels acting like she is the next Steven Spielburg or whatever :skull: LOL. Sis is going to humbly speak about her long form music video and hopefully get her nomination. it's that simple 

5 hours ago, mael said:

Her videography is mid, there's a few highlights over the years but yeah, nothing iconic like Beyonce's streak. 

a thread banned for this troll, please

I think she's a competent director at best. She has her own aesthetic and more or less has been pretty good at keeping it visually maintained through the videos, though some moments work more than others. Some of the visual effects look cheap but I imagine that's just budget constraints. I think it's hard to evaluate her because most of her peers have never directed anything so I'm lacking in something to compare her to, but I honestly don't think her videos are better/worse than most popstars at the moment.

A really cool way for her to work her directing muscle some more would be to direct music videos for other artists. I'd love to see what she can do with small budgets for indie artists or huge budgets for fellow big artists. I'm sure that will also help her for a directorial debut for a movie or tv show episode in some years. 

Also, I'd love for her to direct an episode of something sort of generic like one of those Law and Order esque tv shows. Each episode has like a different director and often times up and coming directors get to direct a single episode on those types of shows. It would be a good way for her to test her skills a bit more in a setting that does not involve any music at all. 

Edited by IBeMe

Her ambition to be nominated for an Oscar is the same ambition that drives her to make music, the same reason why she’s at her tenth album and the same reason she is still a commercial juggernaut despite it all. Let her be passionate about what she wants. She’s earned it, no? 

or you all think she owes y’all not to be proud of her work, just so some forum trolls not to come at you with ‘omg, embarrassing!!’? Get real 

What Taylor said in her NYU speech about effortlessness rings more true than ever. She can’t do normal things like push for her song to stay at #1 or network to ensure support for a future career in filmmaking (which she’s genuinely interested in), or even give her fans alternate album covers due to public demand - without being called desperate, greedy, or embarrassing. And even her own fans contribute to this. I don’t even know what to say, because this is what’s truly embarrassing. Caring and being passionate about her career is somehow being used as a drag against her, and it’ll never make any sense at all :rip: 

She's doing too much with the ATW push, let's not. She hasn't been this desperate for something since the Me! International embarrassing promotional tour :deadbanana2:. It's just a cute music video and doesn't warrant this aggressive Oscar campaign or even deserves a nomination. I know she wants to direct movies in the future and is networking but she already did enough for the MV and ATW10 minutes version in general while she pays dust to her musical endeavours (Evermore, Midnights). If she wants an Oscar, Carolina is right there. It's a great song that managed to convey the massage of the movie and it's one of the best soundtrack songs released this year. If Carolina can't get in the Oscar race, she needs to get someone to tell her which movies are acclaimed so that she can write a song for them (we know she has no taste :rip:). I think knowing that she's the new Madonna really got into her head because this behaviour is very Madonna like :bibliahh:. The spirit of Madonna needs to leave Taylor's body alone and go back to its original body:gaydonnacat1:.

Let women be ambitious. If it pays off, it pays off, it doesn’t, then it doesn’t. She wants to be as successful as possible. A lot of people can’t even be bothered to get a full time job. Her work effort should be admired, not trashed. It’s beyond ridiculous. 

49 minutes ago, Cleanromantic said:

She's doing too much with the ATW push, let's not. She hasn't been this desperate for something since the Me! International embarrassing promotional tour :deadbanana2:. It's just a cute music video and doesn't warrant this aggressive Oscar campaign or even deserves a nomination. I know she wants to direct movies in the future and is networking but she already did enough for the MV and ATW10 minutes version in general while she pays dust to her musical endeavours (Evermore, Midnights). If she wants an Oscar, Carolina is right there. It's a great song that managed to convey the massage of the movie and it's one of the best soundtrack songs released this year. If Carolina can't get in the Oscar race, she needs to get someone to tell her which movies are acclaimed so that she can write a song for them (we know she has no taste :rip:). I think knowing that she's the new Madonna really got into her head because this behaviour is very Madonna like :bibliahh:. The spirit of Madonna needs to leave Taylor's body alone and go back to its original body:gaydonnacat1:.

And why shouldn’t she? She clearly wants to direct, so why exactly should she half ass it instead of giving it her all? What’s the advantage of that? It literally hasn’t affected her musical output at all, so I really don’t understand why people complain at all. 

all this over a damn interview :deadbanana: the way taylor will just be humble 100% of the interview and praise him every 5 seconds and in the end she'll probably have a viral clip out of this.

Did anyone taste the Maroon? I thought the Maroon was lovely

The way she could easily win the Oscar she so clearly wants by simply trying to write soundtracks for better movies :rip:

Her peers and other songwriters are out there writing songs for Bond and Pixar movies (Billie), for beloved Hollywood stories and blockbusters (Gaga, The Weeknd, Rihanna) or in prestige BP nominated movies (Beyoncé) and all she has picked so far… is Cats and other movies with zero Oscar potential (like Crawdads):gaycat6:

We know she has no taste and poor judgement skills based on her single choices, but it can't possibly be that hard to know which movies would appeal to the Oscars and which won't. :gaycat6:

1 hour ago, Cleanromantic said:

Just because Madonna didn't succeed as director (at least until her biopic that is coming) doesn't mean every music star has to failed as it's a rule.

Barbra streisand at some point made her directorial debut too and she won the golden globe as director for her first movie. All her 3 movies have been Oscars nominated.

Also i remember Madonna was invited at Venice film festival for her first movie. Of course they love a popstar. It was out of competion but still an important festival. 

Edited by vale9001

10 hours ago, 1989 said:

Who doesn’t like coney island? Ban worthy tbh. :biblio:

I still see coney island slander and it disgusts me :mazen:

I mean this is so random but what's the truth: the "give me back my girlhood, it was mine first" line or the red scarf being a symbol of her virginity? :skull: 

Edited by Squall

Just now, Squall said:

I mean this is so random but what's the truth: the "give me back my girlhood, it was mine first" line or the red scarf being a symbol of her virginity? :skull: 

this is a theory i read back in 2012 already (about the scarf). 

Do we know how is SZA's album doing on Apple Music? I guess the Metro Boomin week and this one are a lost battle, but what do you guys think about bouncing back on the week starting Friday 16th? Any big release coming?

6 minutes ago, Bonicap said:

Do we know how is SZA's album doing on Apple Music? I guess the Metro Boomin week and this one are a lost battle, but what do you guys think about bouncing back on the week starting Friday 16th? Any big release coming?

in 5 hours

10 NEW
SZA - SOS
13 NEW
SZA - Kill Bill
19 NEW
SZA - Seek & Destroy
26 NEW
SZA - Love Language
27 NEW
SZA - Low
28 NEW
SZA - Blind
36 -9
Taylor Swift - Anti-Hero

24 minutes ago, Bonicap said:

Its doing extremely well.

The competition for next week is SZAs 2nd week. We should be ahead of that, but dont think its 100%. Before we have some more numbers