'The Rings of Power' will cost $715 million - or 5.1 million Prime subscribers

LP54

6308f950d266820019ff32f5?width=1000&form

Amazon has put big money into its new series based on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" book trilogy. 

The 8-episode season of "The Rings of Power" has cost the company $715 million, or more than 5.1 million annual subscriptions to Amazon Prime, according to the Wall Street Journal. Last year, Amazon said that it had more than 200 million subscribers to Prime. A subscription to the service costs $139 per year. 

The Journal reports that other streaming companies, including Netflix and HBO, were interested in buying the TV rights of the much-loved book series, but only Amazon shelled out nearly $250 million, beating out the competition. 

It's been widely reported that Amazon spent nearly $500 million on the show's production in New Zealand and tens of millions of dollars in marketing and promotion. 

Despite the fact that the show's massive cost only comes to about 0.15% of Amazon's 2021 revenue, according to the Journal, "The Rings of Power" is a gamble for Amazon.

One former senior Amazon Studios exec recently told Insider that the show could be make-or-break for the studio. 

"If we can't take this piece of IP and make it successful, why is Amazon Studios even here?... It has to succeed. There's no option," they said. 

The Journal reports that Amazon hopes the show will grow to be successful enough to spawn spinoffs and merchandise, similar to HBO's "Game of Thrones." 

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, a Tolkien fan himself, recently tried to reassure potential fans that the e-commerce giant is producing the show for more than just the big bucks. 

"I hope we do Tolkien's work justice," he told Time magazine earlier this month. 

Source: Amazon's Lord of the Rings Show Costs 5.1 Million Prime Subscriptions (businessinsider.com)

I vow to not watch it. 

There is no way they could phuck it up, especially with that budget and they have been developing it for years. I hope it will serve GOT/The Witcher greatness

the show's massive cost only comes to about 0.15% of Amazon's 2021 revenue,

i see

I never get how the budgets get this inflated when CGI artists are making quite small salaries, they don't have A list actors to pay and and most of these shows are done with only partial physical sets.

It’s crazy how Ive barely seen any promo for this while when Im watching HGTV, there are dragons flying all over my screen :rip: 

$500M for the first season is unbelievable. They probably prepared things for the upcoming seasons too.

The good thing is Jeff Bezos could continue the show as a charity project if he wanted to, it's peanuts for him and he seems to be a big LOTR fan :lmao:

Everyone I know is tuning in, but then again I know a lot of nerds. I wonder what the level of GP interest will be

4 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

It’s crazy how Ive barely seen any promo for this while when Im watching HGTV, there are dragons flying all over my screen :rip: 

$500M for the first season is unbelievable. They probably prepared things for the upcoming seasons too.

Yeah, an article I read mentioned that a lot of the budget went into building elaborate sets that will be used for future seasons. 

OT:

The way they spent so much for the rights and the first season and have green lit 4 more seasons at the same time...

Amazon definitely has money to spare :gaycat6:

2 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Yeah, an article I read mentioned that a lot of the budget went into building elaborate sets that will be used for future seasons. 

OT:

The way they spent so much for the rights and the first season and have green lit 4 more seasons at the same time...

Amazon definitely has money to spare :gaycat6:

Thank you. That makes a lot more sense. Also guaranteeing fans more seasons is going to encourage people to be invested. I tend to avoid Netflix shows until they are 2 or 3 seasons in because they cancel everything :rip: 

well the trailer i keep seeing on tv looks awful so where did all that money go?

31 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

i mean... HGTV is part of WB Discovery. You should expect a lot of HBO max adds. In my case, i watch Home & Health a lot and i see both. These last 2 weeks, The Rings of Power started a very aggresive campaign there.

54 minutes ago, Blue Rose said:

I was thinking the same thing. I recently ordered food through an app and the car on the screen was a flying dragon, and my house had an HBO Max banner :dies:

The show is serving visual and no substance, I predict mixed reviews from critics and hate from die hard fans. 

i do see some of their promo but very rarely. But that goes to show these numbers are just a drop in the bucket to them.

Its literally fail proof.

Edited by harwee

They want their own little GoT moment so badly :rip: 

I don't see it doing as well as they want it to, but who knows

26 minutes ago, Oxy said:

The show is serving visual and no substance, I predict mixed reviews from critics and hate from die hard fans. 

the fans who watched actually liked the first 2 episodes. But yeah... it will be review bombed by those who are always hating it on social media.

Wait, the first season is only 8 episodes? Not even 12, or at least 10? :biblio: That is a pathetically small amount of content. Season 2 better come in 6 months not in 1 year.

giphy.gif

I'm so excited for this

Don't get the stupids comparisons with House of the Dragon 

I mean, why not enjoy bot shows and be happy? :skull:

1 hour ago, Madonno said:

I'm so excited for this

Exactly!

I'll be watching both as a fantasy lover geek!

3 hours ago, Madonno said:

I'm so excited for this

Yup! Im so tired of endless complaints about every damn thing. Nobody enjoys things anymore. 

Can't wait to be enjoying both GoT AND LOTR - what an iconic pairing. Medieval fantasy coming through with a vengeance this year!

The budget for this show seems amazing but the real deal breaker will be the writing. If the writing is very well done then the show will be massive. I am a little hopeful cause bezoar is a fan of lord of the rings. Hopefully the show doesn’t disappoint. 

Y’all underestimate the firm grip this franchise has on the 30-50 year old demo.

They managed to split a single 80+ year old book into 3 3h+ films and they were all hits :deadbanana2:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.