Was it a good idea to make cannabis legal?

AbeHicks

The situation where cannabis was illegal and got thousands and thousands of people arrested and imprisoned for possession, dealing, growing, etc was not an acceptable thing. The enforcement of the war on drug was a political tool and was not enforced fairly or equally, so in that sense decriminalizing cannabis was a good thing in my opinion.

But, I am not sure that it is a good thing for people. People use it too much, spend too much money on it, and get addicted to it, psychologically if not physically. Tests seem to indicate that marijuana is not physically addictive, that is, there is no withdrawal, or if there is it is about equal to quitting drinking coffee ... headaches, or irritability, or short term mild depression.

So, if cannabis legalization has been a good thing, what about decriminalizing or legalizing other drugs? What drugs do you think should be legal, and what about drugs that have not been discovered or invented yet?

Meh, good for the above reasons re: unreasonable imprisonment, but this general attitude towards weed being a miracle drug is ridiculous. I have plenty of friends who are addicted, psychologically or otherwise.

Society could definitely benefit from additional government funded research and broader education of the negative implications with use.

I think you can decriminalize all drugs without making some legal. Like… rehabilitate, don’t punish sort of deal. If people truly want to “help” drug addicted individuals, they need to step in and help. Throwing them in jail does nothing but make them feel ostracized for something they lost control of 

Edited by YourNumber1Witch

31 minutes ago, AbeHicks said:

People use it too much, spend too much money on it, and get addicted to it, psychologically if not physically. Tests seem to indicate that marijuana is not physically addictive, that is, there is no withdrawal, or if there is it is about equal to quitting drinking coffee ... headaches, or irritability, or short term mild depression.

Are there statistics that show more people deal with this kind of addiction since it's been legal? Research has often stated that would likely not happen, and if that turns out to be true, the benefits 100% show it was a good decision

Edited by pavi

I'm pro legalization everywhere :thing:

However people need to stop pretending like smoking it three times a day isn't a sign of dependence. Like I've known people who would get stressed and cranky without it in a similar way as tobacco smokers, and there's plenty of plant based stuff that's addictive, coffee and alcohol for example. But they won't hesitate to remind you that only your habits are bad :swan:

It should be legal. But at the same time, people need to stop kidding themselves that they can't get addicted. I used to smoke 5+ times a day but I quit because I was living my life in a haze and was so moody without it. It's also bad for your lungs. I've never felt better since stopping. And it's easy to stop after the first week 

but all drugs should be decriminalized. such a dumb concept to throw sick people in jail for their sickness 

I can't wait for it to be legal in Germany. I wanna try these fancy @Edibles. I know from US social media. Tired of smoking blunts with ok weed from the plug down the street lol

3 minutes ago, Daddy said:

I can't wait for it to be legal in Germany. I wanna try these fancy @Edibles. I know from US social media. Tired of smoking blunts with ok weed from the plug down the street lol

I gasped.

It blows my mind that it’s not legal 

15 minutes ago, Daddy said:

It is so easy to make your own brownies :gaycat: I highly recommend. Edibles blow smoking completely out of the water. Its like a completely different experience tbh 

2 hours ago, AbeHicks said:

The situation where cannabis was illegal and got thousands and thousands of people arrested and imprisoned for possession, dealing, growing, etc was not an acceptable thing. The enforcement of the war on drug was a political tool and was not enforced fairly or equally, so in that sense decriminalizing cannabis was a good thing in my opinion.

But, I am not sure that it is a good thing for people. People use it too much, spend too much money on it, and get addicted to it, psychologically if not physically. Tests seem to indicate that marijuana is not physically addictive, that is, there is no withdrawal, or if there is it is about equal to quitting drinking coffee ... headaches, or irritability, or short term mild depression.

So, if cannabis legalization has been a good thing, what about decriminalizing or legalizing other drugs? What drugs do you think should be legal, and what about drugs that have not been discovered or invented yet?

horrible opinions

weed is better than most medicines utilized today and is MUCH better for people than alcohol 

also, its not an addictive substances... so don't spread misinformation 

its ilegal where i live but im currently stoned af. I think its great

2 hours ago, Oxy said:

Never saw the appeal in it, only makes me lazy and dizzy. 

that's indica. try a sativa strain

The people that use marijuana chronically are almost always people that have already had some sort of mental health issue like depression or are neurodivergent (think ADHD) they are more likely to get addicted to the mental stimulation of weed. It’s rare for neurotypical and otherwise mentally healthy people to get addicted to weed

I'm not too sure. Cannabis is definitely addictive and harmful.  People underestimate the effects it has on our brains.

And I'm saying this as someone who used to smoke every day.

It should be a prescription-only drug.

it should definitely be legal but there NEEDS to be better regulation, and i say this as someone who smokes daily 

in NYC a lot of the dispensaries rarely ID and sell weed to young ass kids, i guess that’s better than buying from street plugs though 

Edited by On The Bound

6 hours ago, Illuminati said:

I'm pro legalization everywhere :thing:

However people need to stop pretending like smoking it three times a day isn't a sign of dependence. Like I've known people who would get stressed and cranky without it in a similar way as tobacco smokers, and there's plenty of plant based stuff that's addictive, coffee and alcohol for example. But they won't hesitate to remind you that only your habits are bad :swan:

spill it :redface:

It's not legal here, but I think it should be, at least for medical reasons. 

I'm for recreational use too, but it should go along with education about cannabis. I see too many people claim that it's a perfectly normal habit to smoke every day, you can't get addicted and it has only very few negative effects if you use a lot, which..  :coffee2:

18 hours ago, cockatoo said:

Ban all drugs I say! Tobacco, coffee and alcohol next :clap3:

711254226_DiegoSansDancing.thumb.gif.3a2

The people would revolt :chick3:

Yes. 

For one, it'll get more employers to stop drug-testing for weed, especially if weed is legal both recreationally and medicinally in the state someone works in. If companies don't drug test for alcohol and nicotine, why test for weed? Alcohol can absolutely intoxicate you. If you drink enough, you can definitely smell like booze. With weed, unless you smoke it, or you bust your vape in front of a coworker, if you use cannabis drinks or edibles, no one will notice, if you are discreet enough in your use. 

Moreover, weed is not just a drug for recreational purposes-- it is also used for medicinal purposes. It can treat PTSD, migraines, rheumatoid arthritis, depression, etc. Not saying it's a CURE for these things-- I don't think any drug really "cures" any mental/physical illness, although, licensed healthcare workers, please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. 

Also, even if weed isn't your thing, if it's legal to use, why does it matter to you/bother you? Cigarettes are legal to buy. Never touched a cigarette in my life. Alcohol is legal to buy. I rarely, rarely buy alcohol. Do I think it should be controlled or banned? No. 

In fact, I think weed should be legal on a federal level so even MORE research can be done on the substance and even more stigma can be broken. This isn't an opioid, benzo, or alcohol, folks, where withdrawals/addiction can kill you. This is weed. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.