Björk: sonic symbolism (podcast)

catsandlabneh

I finished the first episode, I can't lie I got a little lost when she started to talk about post post post-industrial revolution/WWII, bio-techonology tech movement in London and human-sized Shakesperian music (?) :redface:

Hearing her talking about her life and where her mind was when working on those albums is fascinating!

But I really wish they went a bit more in depth with it, get some of her collaborators to discuss their work and dissect a bit of the technical and creative aspect of what went into creating these pieces.

"i wanna be all the smurfs, that's my rebellion"

"i sat in the steam room... there was like a lot of steam"

"it was strangely like if you get like a super loyal person that has to try

once in a lifetime to have an orgy with ten people but genuinely mean it"

- beejork, 2022

Edited by Dragonfly

2 hours ago, TheBoss said:

I think they would play a vinyl record called Jazz Divas or something like that, and IOSQ was their favorite track

That sounds like a lot of fun actually ☺ 

Vespertine episode is out now! Seems like they are doing weekly one-episode releases. 

I love the Vespertine episode. My favorite album. 

I don’t get how she’s saying Homogenic is “the warmth, the summer” and Vespertine is the “the cold”

To me, there is nothing closer to a winter cold album than Homogenic. From the cover to the harsh beats, it’s like glaciers crashing around you as you make way in a snowstorm

Vespertine however, to me, is the warmth of a partner, the sex, the warmth of semen, the warmth of love and being indoors with your partner on a cold night having sex back to back or just cuddling 

I'm loving this podcast so much

We are halfway through! I really don't want it to end. 

I demand another 10 episodes where she goes track by track commenting trivia or how she feels about every song now. 

medulla was the one I was most excited for so super excited to listen to the new episode

I've been loving the podcast but my ONLY complaint is that they play the song snippets a bit too long.....like sis we know what the songs sound like that's why we're here. 

On 9/9/2022 at 4:53 AM, hétérosexuelle said:

I don’t get how she’s saying Homogenic is “the warmth, the summer” and Vespertine is the “the cold”

To me, there is nothing closer to a winter cold album than Homogenic. From the cover to the harsh beats, it’s like glaciers crashing around you as you make way in a snowstorm

Vespertine however, to me, is the warmth of a partner, the sex, the warmth of semen, the warmth of love and being indoors with your partner on a cold night having sex back to back or just cuddling 

I disagree. 

Homogenic is like a volcano, hot, summery and angry whereas Vespertine is like icy, magestic, serene. Idk. Her descriptions made so much sense.

Medulla is the only album of hers I could never fully like hopefully podcast will change that a little.

Love hearing her talking about Godúlla. The most primal Björk album and I live for it :clap3:

I love her perception of Medúlla as her most humorous record because at first glance that seems extremely dissonant but it’s true, really. It’s really interesting how her entire discography relates to each other. I never though about Medúlla being the polar opposite of Vespertine’s domestic bliss aspect with its folk-y, earthy spirit and songs about motherhood that are much more intimate and true. 

I love her sm :jonny5:

I'm really loving this podcast. Post is my favorite album of all time so I'm kinda bummed the debut episode was better, but overall it's so interesting. When she said every album cover is kind of her own personal tarot card, and they begin to really flesh out each character of the album... She's really one of the greatest musicians of all time.

"it's almost like a playful Tom & Jerry breastfeeding song"

"i'm very sorry that my sense of humour is so bad"

"Homogenic was hot and masculine" :jonny2: 

- beejork, 2022

the Vespertine epidose definitely made me appreciate the album more

living for the Medulla epidose as well; so much humour in that album

the podcast has been done soooo well so far...medulla is the best episode so far for me. medulla is my second fav from her and I feel it kind of gets overlooked by her in comparison to other fan favorites like homo and vespertine. so nice to see her revisit the album and her insight really makes me appreciate it even more 

1 hour ago, On The Bound said:

the podcast has been done soooo well so far...medulla is the best episode so far for me. medulla is my second fav from her and I feel it kind of gets overlooked by her in comparison to other fan favorites like homo and vespertine. so nice to see her revisit the album and her insight really makes me appreciate it even more 

yeah agree! I've really warmed up to Medulla as of late and I think it's my second favourite at the moment (changes all the time, her power!) and it was so great to hear more about the conception. Never interpreted it as sort of a rejection of homogenic and vespertine in a way - like her using only vocals as a way to get back to her roots is so cool. I knew that "primal" has always been the inspiration but this episode just really hammered home how cool the record really is. And I never took it as humorous but obviously it is. I just assumed the vocal samples weren't "meant" to be funny or playful, so knowing that was the intent (or at least how she views it now) makes me appreciate it that much more! Wish she would go more in depth on each song but maybe there's another podcast in the future that might delve into some of the songs themselves more ambitiously. Much more excited to hear what she has to say about Volta and Biophilia! Kind of two albums that are considered her worst so it might be interesting to get her take on those eras and where she was at. 

get in fagurts, it's the episode about her best album Volta

Mean Girls Get In Loser Meme Template | Loser meme, Mean girls, Memes

"the ultimate queer queen puppet"

"it's basically like a very extreme yoga class"

"a male news reporter cannot fathom that a woman has a cause"

Edited by Dragonfly

Wow the Volta episode made me appreciate the album more, so much more. 

• 2 weeks later...

damn, after hearing the Biophilia episode I'm ready to call it my favourite album again

7ZB1qx1.png

the ambition and ammount of work in wanting to map out how she views music

and to empower people who might benefit from non-traditional teaching methods

"Biophilia's strenght [...] is basically showing us something that was there all along"

"if you try to understand the patterns of sound... I often compare it to a billiard table"

"I was trying to make a sort of choir arrangement that was almost like science fiction"

Edited by Dragonfly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.