Current heat wave in China described as worst in world climatic history

Chemist

I wonder if certain people on Twitter will mock this like they mocked the European one

9 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Damn

aren't they also the biggest contributor to climate change?

I'm not sure if they "currently" are, but the biggest contributor throughout history is without a doubt the USA (and most likely is still second). It's not fair for China and other nations because the nations that developed first aka North America, Europe, Japan, etc. are the ones who are 100% responsible for most of the issues we're facing now

19 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Damn

No, the average Chinese citizen has a fairly small carbon footprint. I believe Americans still have the heaviest impact on climate change. 

Though there's little correlation between where climate changes and where most consumption is occurring- the planet as a whole gets warmer. See: No one being in the artic but sea levels rising due to melting ice masses. :gaycat6:

Edited by Communion

33 minutes ago, Rev8 said:

Damn

It depends on what metric you use. If you look at the current biggest contributor to climate change then yes, it's China.

Annual-CO2-emissions-Treemap-1-768x701.p

If you look at the historical biggest contributor to climate change, then it's the United States.

Cumulative-CO2-treemap-660x550.png

No shocker, just the plastic pollution alone  :deadbanana2:I watch videos of products and snacks from China and other Asian countries and girl it's plastic wrapped in plastic wrapped in plastic and the inside is just one piece of fishball or a fork etc.  

Edited by Moon

2022 feels more like the end of the world with each passing day.

10 hours ago, Jotham said:

It depends on what metric you use. If you look at the current biggest contributor to climate change then yes, it's China.

Annual-CO2-emissions-Treemap-1-768x701.p

If you look at the historical biggest contributor to climate change, then it's the United States.

Cumulative-CO2-treemap-660x550.png

This doesn't take into account the sheer volume of goods produced in China contributing to their high emissions that are than consumed in Global North nations like the US and EU. Historical carbon footprints from the Chinese population are way lower than they are for Europeans/USAians.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.